Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 10, 2013, 07:10 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Better brands for Canada in terms of Warranty

Which brands come with the better warranty when it comes to us Canadians. For example I've heard bad stories about Saphire or HIS (you have to ship the cards to Asia). Same with ASUS.

Is Gigabyte/MSI currently the best brands to deal with when it comes to warranty/RMA? Do they have centers in Canada? I'd include EVGA but I'm only interested in AMD video cards.

Basically which brand to chose when I'm considering reliability and warranty.
Old August 10, 2013, 07:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Asus RMA location is in Markham, as well as MSI. Gigabyte is California.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old August 10, 2013, 07:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I've had stellar GFX card RMA service from MSI.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 10, 2013, 07:31 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever View Post
Asus RMA location is in Markham, as well as MSI. Gigabyte is California.
That's good to hear. But my friend had an ASUS mobo and he had to RMA it in ASIA, and after a month of waiting, he received back an inferior model because they no longer manufactured his. He ended up buying a Gigabyte. From this story, and a few others, I tend to try to stay away from ASUS.

Great to hear Lpfan4ever's feedback. I've always had trouble deciding between MSI/Gigabyte when it comes to warranty. Still curious about the other brands (XFX, Powercolor, PNY)
Old August 10, 2013, 08:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

That Asus story doesn't sound right.
Old August 11, 2013, 04:45 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

subbed to this thread. I have only had a HDD go south on me, but I use alot of Sapphire products so its good to know from here on out which brands have Canadian/NA RMA centres.

24/7 WCG Cruncher: i5 2400 @3.4ghz, Gigabyte HD 7770 1GB (GPU Cruncher), AsRock Z68M/USB3 Mobo, 8GB HyperX DDR 3, 120GB HyperX Blue SSD | 1TB storage, Thermaltake TR2 500w PSU, Thermaltake Soprano Snow Edition case

Laptop: Asus G74Sx | i7 2630QM, GTX 560M 3GB, 12 GB DDR 3 1333, 750GB Sata II HDD
Old August 11, 2013, 06:36 AM
MVP

I am very weary of products, no matter how good they are, with no RMA return center located here in Canada. There are some very good products out there but as soon as the item is forced to ship over the border to any other country, at best, the RMA experience tends to be a longer one and at a higher cost.

That being said:

I've had great experiences with Seagate as the RMA location is in Ontario and turnaround time is excellent. My western digital RMA experience was also very good.
Also had a great experience with Toshiba. Had a cpu fan go out on a Toshiba Satellite and one of a few registered repair centers is right here in Montreal. The warranty was confirmed and it turned out to be one of if not the most painless experiences I've had.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z (1866MhZ CAS9)
NZXT Kraken X60 CPU Cooler
2x Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
Seagate 7200.12 500gig HD
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Antec TruPower New 750W Power Supply
Old August 12, 2013, 06:25 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I've done an Asus RMA about 5+ years ago and had no issues with it whatsoever, I've also had to do Western Digital, Seagate and Intel RMAs for Hard Drives or SSDs in which all were rather fast (I always pick cross-ship though). Hell the Intel one came the next frigin day in the mail. The only RMA I wasn't very happy with and needing 'customer retention' support was Gigabyte, as they claimed damages that were done to the board by the tech, by myself. Took a while to get straightened out and was without the motherboard for 2 months too. If your Gigabyte product doesn't die it's a great value item, but if it does be prepared to be without it for AT LEAST a month, if not longer with shipping to/from the US.
Old August 12, 2013, 12:21 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

My MSI RMA was amazing, I live close to the Richmond, BC depot. I drove there, dropped it off and they shipped me a new one!
Old August 12, 2013, 12:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messerschmitt View Post
That's good to hear. But my friend had an ASUS mobo and he had to RMA it in ASIA, and after a month of waiting, he received back an inferior model because they no longer manufactured his. He ended up buying a Gigabyte. From this story, and a few others, I tend to try to stay away from ASUS.

Great to hear Lpfan4ever's feedback. I've always had trouble deciding between MSI/Gigabyte when it comes to warranty. Still curious about the other brands (XFX, Powercolor, PNY)
Did your friend live in Asia or Canada? If Canada you never send your board overseas. At least not in the last 7 years or so. They all go to Markham IIRC.

For my own RMA Experience, EVGA is Solid. XFX is solid. PNY is godly at times, great tech group there.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com