Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 12, 2013, 12:51 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I've had excellent experiences with ASUS, XFX,EVGA and Intel. Heard a lot of horror stories about Gigabyte, HIS and Powercolor.
Old August 15, 2013, 09:54 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

any feedback on HIS?

appreciated
Old August 16, 2013, 12:54 PM
Rookie

Thus far I've had good experiences with XFX, ASUS and Gigabyte. About to give Corsair ago it would seem so I can update then.

ASUS had a issue with a laptop I bought way back G72 I believe. Was very helpful in getting things fixed up for me and back quickly. Thus far (in terms of my laptop experience with ASUS) I've never had a complaint.

XFX their tech supports on the tickets aren't the brightest? Had a lot of back and forth before they issued an RMA. While trouble shooting they kept suggesting things that would direct me to buy adapters or other things to see if they work first. Wasn't super happy to be told that I should spend lots of money to test on other products first.

Gigabyte, just got my mobo back from an RMA with them. The added cost of sending to the US kinda sucks and I'll have to see if I get dinged one of those magical month later brokerage fees from UPS since they sent it via ups ground but otherwise the experience was quite good. Techs I talked to asked questions, when I expressed a decent understanding of what I was doing and what I tried they only offered a few other suggestions then provided the RMA. Once they got it it took about 2 weeks for them to get it back to me which is pretty good in my books.
Old August 17, 2013, 03:55 PM
Allstar

I had to RMA some RAM with Corsair this past spring. No problems at all even though they were mailed to the US. Fairly quick too all things considered. I even got better back than I sent as the units that failed were discontinued items.

Last edited by NyteOwl; August 17, 2013 at 03:56 PM. Reason: fixed typos
Old August 19, 2013, 05:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
That Asus story doesn't sound right.
Sounds more like AsRock?

I personally don't touch Gigabyte motherboards after many fails and terrible RMA experiences. I do however have a gigabyte 780.. so hopefully no probs (have had 3 of their gpu's without issues but every motherboard of theirs I've seen has had problems, though much of that was 5 yrs ago)

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old August 19, 2013, 05:58 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Sounds more like AsRock?

I personally don't touch Gigabyte motherboards after many fails and terrible RMA experiences. I do however have a gigabyte 780.. so hopefully no probs (have had 3 of their gpu's without issues but every motherboard of theirs I've seen has had problems, though much of that was 5 yrs ago)
A friend of mine has a Z67 Gigabyte board with the constant boot issue. He's rma'd twice now, which was painful to say the least and still has the same issue. He's quite sure they just keep sending the same board back. As of today he has a Z77 Sabertooth on it's way for his 2600k
Old August 21, 2013, 06:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

I RMA'd a P67 motherboard to Asus (markham)a few weeks back and received a brand new P8P67 DELUXE with everything in the box...within 2 weeks. I was really impressed and went ASUS again for my latest mobo.

I RMA'd an MSI 560TI TF II a few months ago (markham?), a little more than 2 weeks turnover but good outcome.
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old September 12, 2013, 11:09 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

So MSI has an RMA center in both Markham and Richmond BC
What about ASUS? Do they have a RMA center in BC lower mainland?
Old September 18, 2013, 02:26 PM
Rookie

Here have been my RMA experiences so far:

MSI:
Had to call the states to begin the RMA, Delivered the faulty video card to markham was told wait 2 weeks for the replacement to arrive... replacement arrived..... heatsink and thermal paste weren't applied properly, card would head up to > 100c under ANY load, open a web browser and watch the temps soar... Called back, got another RMA, requested a cross ship, they had to put a hold on a CC.... Delivered the card, got the replacement withen 3 days, faulty again.... it was a lightning with a normal and a power bios, but both BIOS's were flashed to the "normal" version, tried contacting support, they wouldn't provide a updated bios, checked my CC statement and I was charged for the cross ship and while they eventually refunded I ended up losing out in the conversion fee's (Since they charge in USD) eventually flashed the power bios myself from a BIOS site.

ASUS:
Dropped off a MB in markham, support was decent and the turn around quick though they liked to try to insist that things were user damage and have to argue your point, replacement arrived perfectly fine though, took about a week I think.

Gigabyte:
Had to ship the item to the states, got the replacement back after 2 weeks, forget what it was but it worked fine

Corsair:
Used to be great service and support, had a defective button on my 800D they sent the front panel quickly to the door no issue what so ever.... Just had to RMA a bad H100i as the pump didn't work, they wouldn't respond to RMA tickets, wouldn't respond to e-mails, finally got through on the phone they authorized a RMA, I asked for a cross ship which was approved. I sent the item in, when the replacement arrived it was COD... Duty, Tax and Brokerage fee's...... the packing slip declared the item a NEW SALE not a replacement or repair..... I called customer service and was fed a company line that customers are responsible for all taxes and fees, they had no answer on why out of all the RMA's I have done they are the only one to declare the product as a new sale...

OCZ:
Best service ever, call them up, get a RMA number drive to markham drop off the item and walk out with a replacement (always of equal or better performance) all in the same day. RAM, SSD's, Power Supplies, it didn't matter I called got a RMA # and walked out with a replacement.

Mushkin:
Easy to RMA with, but shipping fee's to the states makes RMA'ing anything but very new or expensive items useless, while the warranty on the ram is lifetime it often gets to the point it's cheaper to replace then to ship.

If I can recall any other RMA's I'll edit the post to include but I tend to stick with the same brands (until they do me wrong (looking at you corsair))
Old September 21, 2013, 04:15 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Well, I might have to deal with ASUS RMA for the first time.

I bought the 7970, unfortunately it collapsed in 2 days, while I never had any kind of trouble until the collapse happened. I went to NCIX where I got the replacement, that card it's DOA I believe. First it wouldn't boot into windows. I returned it back, they tested it there and it worked. So I took it back again, made sure to completely remove the catalyst drivers and updated my mobo BIOS and it finally did boot up. However, since then I have had a "screen colapse", where my main monitor crashed, but my second monitor that always extends the desktop was still workable. VID 20130920 222201 - YouTube

Then I had my first BSOD since I bought the system. Since NCIX claims the card is working, I might have to contact asus directly and deal with their RMA procedure.

My system worked flawlessly with the MSI 7950 and the first Asus 7970 that collapsed after 2 days.
I wish I would've kept the 7950, even tho it had the coil whine :/
That card worked like a champ for the whole 17 days I had it