Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 29, 2013, 10:30 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default HIS HD 7850 2GB

I noticed Memory Express will have the HIS Radeon HD 7850 2GB on sale on Tuesday - regular $199, will have to wait 'til tomorrow to see how much of a discount they are offering.

Two questions - I've never had any HIS products - anyone care to comment on this brand?

Second - am I crazy to spend the money to add this graphics card to my APU system? I know if I was going to add a graphics card I should not have bought an APU system to begin with, but if I knew then what I know now things would be different. As it stands I'm not going to replace my mother board and APU for a while so this is the system. Any thoughts on how a 7850 will function with an AMD A10-5800K APU? I expect there will be a little APU bottlenecking but fully expect a significant boost in graphics performance over my 6670.

My flight simulator wants more graphics memory and this will boost my graphics card memory from one GB to two. I've looked at the 3 GB cards - cost is prohibitive but I might part with say $150 if Mem-Express discounts this card significantly.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old July 29, 2013, 10:36 AM
F@H

My System Specs

HIS as a company isn't too bad to deal with. I had one RMA out of about a dozen cards, and it was fairly quick when compared to other companies (*cough* Sapphire, Diamond *cough* ).

As for using it in an APU system, I don't forsee an issue, the A10 is much like a high end Phenom in terms of power I believe, so there shouldn't be a single bottleneck.

Just disable, change the drivers and go.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 29, 2013, 12:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You'll have no problem running a 7850 with your APU. It shouldn't bottleneck, either. I've thrown GPU's in with my A6 APU, and haven't noticed any problems.

But, may I call your attention to the ASUS GTX650Ti Boost for $184.99 which should be slightly faster than the 7850, and consume less power/output less heat to boot. I have this particular card, and it is truly phenomenal!

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old July 29, 2013, 01:17 PM
Top Prospect

What about the performance of Hybrid crossfire? Also something that may worth be considering in which can fit your budget and still give good performance
Old July 29, 2013, 05:39 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I'm set up with Eyefinity three screen array - I thought this was limited to AMD cards?

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old July 29, 2013, 07:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hybrid crossfire won`t work with the 7850
Old July 29, 2013, 09:05 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Memory Express price $169 - not enough of a discount for this cheapo.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old July 30, 2013, 09:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

$170 for a 7850 is a smoking deal...Open that wallet!

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old September 14, 2013, 10:27 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Still have not decided

Still looking at upgrading from my pair of HD 6670's.

I discovered that old case was not big enough for more of these bigger cards so I used that as an excuse to buy a fancy new case first. Just transferred my existing components to a shiny new Titanium R4 - just waiting for the red LED fans to light up the inside (I got the window version). Posted that story in Cases forum.

SO now I'm ready to get serious about getting a new card.

I am tempted to go for broke (pun intended) and buy a 7950 3GB card. BUT one of the games I play is X-Plane flight simulator and over at X-Plane forums they have posted many stories of people experiencing problems with X-plane's Open GL system and the 7950/70. Makes me hesitate. I have posted a message there hoping to hear that AMD has fixed the problem as most of the bad news posts were posted a while back.

I did see however happy sim-pilots 'flying' with a HD 7850 (and I suppose that should also apply to a 7870?).

So - pending news that the 7950/7970's X-Plane problems are history I am thinking much more seriously about the 7850. From the reviews I read the performance difference between the 7870 and 7970 is modest and at least on some cards the difference is reduced through overclocking (sometimes built in).

Couple of questions.

Is there any advantage to keeping your video-card and motherboard with the same maker? I've got an ASUS board - so should I be giving preference to ASUS? I am a bit of an ASUS-boy in that we have ASUS laptop, tablet and my current card and mobo are ASUS. I've never had a problem with ASUS.

Is a mini DP to DP adaptor have any affect on the Active Dongle for Eyefinity? For $10 more I can just get a mini-DP Active Adaptor dongle. Either way cards with just mini's will cost me $20 or $30 more.

Right now the price difference between an ASUS 7850 and 7870 is $190 vs $220 - so less than a meal out for two, so I'd probably just go for the 7870. (ASUS is one of the few still using DP not mini's).

With the 7850/70 there is a chance to crossfire - and at today's prices two HD7850's is just a bit more than one HD 7950 and by the time I get around to buying that second 7850 maybe less. But moreover I could not crossfire a 7950 if I wanted to without upgrading my motherboard - those things are three slots wide. While crossfiring won't be any help in my fight sim (open GL apparently does not recognize crossfire - found this to be true as I have crossfired two HD 6670's now, in some games its a big difference with crossfire enabled, other games no so much, in X-Plane there is zero difference.

The one thing that makes me think more about the 7950 though is running three screens. Currently my HD 6670's are doing fine so I don't think it is a big issue, but I read that Eyefinity users would see the biggest benefit from 3GB of Vram more so that others who many not see much benefit at all from all the Vram at least not with todays games, maybe tomorrows?

BTW I now have an answer for my wife who always asks "why?" She does not like "because I can" for an answer. I went to buy Nascar 2013 - opps, my card is does not make the 'minimum standards" list. I'm into racing games (love my G27 Wheel) - hooked on the original Grid right now, but I like the cab view, really disappointed they dropped that from GRID II. But I want to buy F1 too and again, my card is either minimum, or not even. So that sounds like a good reason to spend another $200 (over the cost of the case to house it :P).

SO - any thoughts on my ramblings?

ASUS for an ASUS board?

Better brand, model? From the user reviews I'm shying away from HIS, should I? Are there company's who don't have poor customer services for RMA? I'm thinking I might 'invest' in Memory Express's extended warranty on this card - worth it?

Big gain from 3GB or no?

I'll see how good the salesman at Memory Express is this week maybe he can pry a few dollars out frugal Scotsman.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig