Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   MSI GeForce GTX 770 Lightning Review Comment Thread (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/62337-msi-geforce-gtx-770-lightning-review-comment-thread.html)

SKYMTL July 25, 2013 07:15 PM

MSI GeForce GTX 770 Lightning Review Comment Thread

MSI's Lightning series has had a storied history and the technology used in previous cards is now making its way into NVIDIA's new GTX 770. The resulting GTX 770 Lightning is a fast, powerful card that never fails to impress.

Comment thread: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ng-review.html

No punches pulled. Enjoy....

:ph34r:

lowfat July 25, 2013 09:16 PM

This is rather disappointing. I suppose the GTX780 Lightning will be the same.

IRQ Conflict July 25, 2013 10:46 PM

Indeed. Though, those that buy another card with similar capabilities won't regret their purchase as it will be priced much, much lower. Like this one, which is 60 bucks cheaper.

ZzzSleep July 26, 2013 08:19 PM

There might be a workaround for the Nvidia limits:

Unlock Afterburner limits on all cards?, and GTX 770 lightning tweak

It really depends on your luck with the silicon lottery. I wouldn't recommend more than ~1.425V (probably less) for 24-7 on a GPU on air. Maybe 1.45V on water. People using the 680s got in the same range that you got. Still, I'd be interested to see how this card stacks up against the other 770s, whether they can pull in the 1,350 - 1,400 range 24-7. The other issue is the VRAM overclocking. GK104 is very much memory bandwidth bottlenecked, so you may see better results with a higher VRAM OC and a lower core OC.

But yeah I agree Nvidia's decision to limit the voltages really sucks. Right now to be honest, I would not buy. I would wait for the 9970 and it's derivatives to come out. It could be anything from slightly slower than a 780 GTX to slightly faster than a Titan, based on the rumours floating around.

lowfat July 26, 2013 11:20 PM

That is a great link.

ZzzSleep July 27, 2013 08:00 AM

Right now, we wait and see how the 780 Lightning and EVGA's 780 Classified perform. If they share the same voltage controller, then this mod will work. Right now, we know for sure that the mod does not work on Asus GPU Tweak. I do not know if it was tested on EVGA's Precision or not yet though.

Plus, there's other flagship 780s coming out:
GALAXY GeForce GTX 780 HOF Edition is a Beast - Ships With External Power Supply Module

If you don't need a GPU tomorrow, it might be a good idea to wait 2-3 months or so until the 9970s come out. If the 9970 (and the expected 9950, which will likely try to steal the thunder from these 770s) turns out to be good, then you could be buying a better card. Plus if the 9970 turns out to be underwhelming, by then at least we'll have a bigger sample size of cards. Finally, there's also AMD's "fixes" for microstutter if you want a multi-GPU configuration, so it should be a more competitive solution now versus SLI.

great_big_abyss July 29, 2013 06:33 AM

So, unless you want to implement workarounds and modify Afterburner, this card is not much more powerful than my gaming version of the same card. I hit 1310Mhz regularly in-game, while Sky only hit 1355Mhz with the lightning. And the card is a full $100 more at the till. Hmmm, I'm sure glad I listened to my instincts and didn't go with the lightning edition...

I'm not sure the other 'high end' solutions from other manufacturers will surpass this one. Won't they all be limited by the +12mV increase?

Oh, and why isn't RealRollo here bashing on Nvidia for limiting their cards' overclocking ability? If this was an AMD problem, he'd be all over it! Impartiality my ass!

bliz July 29, 2013 08:03 AM

Blah,this card is too expensive for what it is... Mine can destroy it's clock speeds. This lighting card would probably allow a little bit higher clocks,i'm not even sure and it's not worth it...

AlexBournemouth2013 August 16, 2013 03:15 PM

Sorry, but you're a ******* plonker, if you don't get the Afterburner 3 Beta 14 (or whatever). You can, then, overvolt +100 on core. This card beats the gaming version by miles. The above hack is for going OVER +100 on core voltage (IE higher than 1.3V)--which, like someone said, is watercooling territory. Hardwarecanucks are amazingly stupid not using the right software to overclock! DUUUH!!!

sswilson August 16, 2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexBournemouth2013 (Post 724881)
Sorry, but you're a ******* plonker, if you don't get the Afterburner 3 Beta 14 (or whatever). You can, then, overvolt +100 on core. This card beats the gaming version by miles. The above hack is for going OVER +100 on core voltage (IE higher than 1.3V)--which, like someone said, is watercooling territory. Hardwarecanucks are amazingly stupid not using the right software to overclock! DUUUH!!!

Thank you for your opinion, but while HWC encourages our members to keep us on our toes WRT our methodology, we also expect posters to treat everybody (members and staff) with respect.

Judging by the way your initial post to our friendly little corner of the net is worded I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that you won't fit in and thus am just going to outright ban rather than offering you an infraction.