Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old July 9, 2013, 11:39 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MTL
Posts: 73

My System Specs

Default AMD 8000 series

I see lots of articles claiming benchmarks and other facts.

Seems the new GPU's are coming in q3 2013(which is technically anytime now...)

So im wondering if its worth waiting for the new lineup for either the new cards or maybe even picking up a 7970 at a cheaper cost.

Or maybe even goin with a 760 that have been released and getting much praise.

what are you thoughs guys?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old July 9, 2013, 12:23 PM
SKYMTL's Avatar
HardwareCanuck Review Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,403
Default

The HD 8000-series is already here on the desktop. They're rebranded HD 7000-series for the OEM market. The HD 8000M-series does have some newish architectural enhancements but nothing particularly exciting.

As for the rumored next generation or GCN 2.0 parts, don't hold your breath.

Think of it this way. If AMD launch it before 2014, they'll almost certainly have to go with a 28nm manufacturing process. That will cause the exact same architectural limitations they're currently experiencing. Considering AMD essentially canceled their GCN "refresh" which was due out this year, they need a BIG jump in performance per watt to compete with NVIDIA's Maxwell and that means 20nm. The problem is that TSMC is only in risk production right now with 20nm (AMD and NVIDIA already have their 20nm samples in-hand) and isn't planing a volume ramp-up until late Q4. That means a PAPER launch at the earliest in November / December 2013 with availability in January / Feb.

Trust me, AMD doesn't want a 28nm GPU going head to head against a 20nm Maxwell since that's a fight they'll loose and loose badly. So that means all of these wack predictions are worth about as much as the gum under my shoe.

As for a GTX 760 competitor? I'd predict 6-9 months at least before we see that.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old July 9, 2013, 01:09 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 208

My System Specs

Default

Any thoughts or insights on AMD price drops then? Maybe drop the 7950 price to lower than a gtx 760?
Or perhaps a new game bundle - or both a price drop and new game bundle?
__________________
Hardware Canucks Rules!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old July 9, 2013, 02:01 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MTL
Posts: 73

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
The HD 8000-series is already here on the desktop. They're rebranded HD 7000-series for the OEM market. The HD 8000M-series does have some newish architectural enhancements but nothing particularly exciting.

As for the rumored next generation or GCN 2.0 parts, don't hold your breath.

Think of it this way. If AMD launch it before 2014, they'll almost certainly have to go with a 28nm manufacturing process. That will cause the exact same architectural limitations they're currently experiencing. Considering AMD essentially canceled their GCN "refresh" which was due out this year, they need a BIG jump in performance per watt to compete with NVIDIA's Maxwell and that means 20nm. The problem is that TSMC is only in risk production right now with 20nm (AMD and NVIDIA already have their 20nm samples in-hand) and isn't planing a volume ramp-up until late Q4. That means a PAPER launch at the earliest in November / December 2013 with availability in January / Feb.

Trust me, AMD doesn't want a 28nm GPU going head to head against a 20nm Maxwell since that's a fight they'll loose and loose badly. So that means all of these wack predictions are worth about as much as the gum under my shoe.

As for a GTX 760 competitor? I'd predict 6-9 months at least before we see that.
Interesting! I will keep an eye out for pricing on the 7970/7950 series to see pricing drop hopefully.

Or maybe switch to the dark side (nvidia) hehe

Thanks SKY
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old July 9, 2013, 02:03 PM
Sushi Warrior's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grimsby, Ontario
Posts: 1,620

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
The HD 8000-series is already here on the desktop. They're rebranded HD 7000-series for the OEM market. The HD 8000M-series does have some newish architectural enhancements but nothing particularly exciting.

As for the rumored next generation or GCN 2.0 parts, don't hold your breath.

Think of it this way. If AMD launch it before 2014, they'll almost certainly have to go with a 28nm manufacturing process. That will cause the exact same architectural limitations they're currently experiencing. Considering AMD essentially canceled their GCN "refresh" which was due out this year, they need a BIG jump in performance per watt to compete with NVIDIA's Maxwell and that means 20nm. The problem is that TSMC is only in risk production right now with 20nm (AMD and NVIDIA already have their 20nm samples in-hand) and isn't planing a volume ramp-up until late Q4. That means a PAPER launch at the earliest in November / December 2013 with availability in January / Feb.

Trust me, AMD doesn't want a 28nm GPU going head to head against a 20nm Maxwell since that's a fight they'll loose and loose badly. So that means all of these wack predictions are worth about as much as the gum under my shoe.

As for a GTX 760 competitor? I'd predict 6-9 months at least before we see that.
I still think it could be the 8000 series considering the OEM line is almost non-existent... Only new thing is Oland.

Hawaii is a 20nm part. It's not really possible to just switch between 28 and 20, the entire layout has to be redesigned, and at 28nm there's essentially no way a single GPU could do much better than a 7970GE given the power overhead.

Hawaii in Q3 2013 is also spot-on information... hence why what TSMC is saying really isn't lining up with what everyone knows about Hawaii so far
__________________
||EK Supreme LT Nickel||MCP355/EK X-TOPV2||EK150 M-O res||MCR220/White||NZXT FN120RB/FN140RB||
Project|Oroborous by NZXT and MNPC
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old July 9, 2013, 02:15 PM
rjbarker's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Courtenay, B.C
Posts: 5,790

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Or maybe switch to the dark side (nvidia) hehe
.....and here I always thought AMD was the big proverbial "grey loud"....as in he "dark side" ;)
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old July 9, 2013, 09:14 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MTL
Posts: 73

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
.....and here I always thought AMD was the big proverbial "grey loud"....as in he "dark side" ;)
Depends on which side your standing I guess :D

(love my 6950>unlocked6970 so far)
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old July 10, 2013, 05:12 AM
SKYMTL's Avatar
HardwareCanuck Review Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post

Hawaii in Q3 2013 is also spot-on information... hence why what TSMC is saying really isn't lining up with what everyone knows about Hawaii so far
Basically, no one knows what they're talking about when it comes to Hawaii. If Q3 is correct, it would have to launch by the end of September.

Remember when everyone thought that Mars was AMD's next high end GPU? Oh how reviewers secretly laughed at that.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old July 10, 2013, 06:26 AM
Sushi Warrior's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grimsby, Ontario
Posts: 1,620

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Basically, no one knows what they're talking about when it comes to Hawaii. If Q3 is correct, it would have to launch by the end of September.

Remember when everyone thought that Mars was AMD's next high end GPU? Oh how reviewers secretly laughed at that.
Some people definitely know Not just by the end of september either! Earlier!

Here, this guy knows what he is talking about more or less Sapphire Radeon HD 9970 To Feature 12-layer PCB | VideoCardz.com

The extra coolers may not be for radeon cards though
__________________
||EK Supreme LT Nickel||MCP355/EK X-TOPV2||EK150 M-O res||MCR220/White||NZXT FN120RB/FN140RB||
Project|Oroborous by NZXT and MNPC

Last edited by Sushi Warrior; July 10, 2013 at 06:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old July 10, 2013, 06:36 AM
Soultribunal's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 8,047

My System Specs

Default

Given SKYMTL's accuracy in the past, I'm going to vote that he most likely knows what he is talking about.

Guess it is a long wait time for some competition again.

-ST
__________________




"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Radeon HD 8000 Series Goes OEM as AMD Rebrands HD 7000 Desktop GPUs SKYMTL Video Cards 8 January 8, 2013 07:16 PM
PC2-8000 with P5Q Pro? Zeroman_IR RAM 1 October 18, 2008 04:40 PM
AMD's Phenom X3 8000 Series: Fighting Two Cores with Three? Hardware Canucks Press Releases & Tech News 0 April 25, 2008 11:56 AM
Mushkin Redline PC2 DDR2 8000 Series rjbarker RAM 9 April 17, 2008 08:10 AM