Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 9, 2013, 11:39 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default AMD 8000 series

I see lots of articles claiming benchmarks and other facts.

Seems the new GPU's are coming in q3 2013(which is technically anytime now...)

So im wondering if its worth waiting for the new lineup for either the new cards or maybe even picking up a 7970 at a cheaper cost.

Or maybe even goin with a 760 that have been released and getting much praise.

what are you thoughs guys?
Old July 9, 2013, 12:23 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The HD 8000-series is already here on the desktop. They're rebranded HD 7000-series for the OEM market. The HD 8000M-series does have some newish architectural enhancements but nothing particularly exciting.

As for the rumored next generation or GCN 2.0 parts, don't hold your breath.

Think of it this way. If AMD launch it before 2014, they'll almost certainly have to go with a 28nm manufacturing process. That will cause the exact same architectural limitations they're currently experiencing. Considering AMD essentially canceled their GCN "refresh" which was due out this year, they need a BIG jump in performance per watt to compete with NVIDIA's Maxwell and that means 20nm. The problem is that TSMC is only in risk production right now with 20nm (AMD and NVIDIA already have their 20nm samples in-hand) and isn't planing a volume ramp-up until late Q4. That means a PAPER launch at the earliest in November / December 2013 with availability in January / Feb.

Trust me, AMD doesn't want a 28nm GPU going head to head against a 20nm Maxwell since that's a fight they'll loose and loose badly. So that means all of these wack predictions are worth about as much as the gum under my shoe.

As for a GTX 760 competitor? I'd predict 6-9 months at least before we see that.
Old July 9, 2013, 01:09 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Any thoughts or insights on AMD price drops then? Maybe drop the 7950 price to lower than a gtx 760?
Or perhaps a new game bundle - or both a price drop and new game bundle?
Old July 9, 2013, 02:01 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
The HD 8000-series is already here on the desktop. They're rebranded HD 7000-series for the OEM market. The HD 8000M-series does have some newish architectural enhancements but nothing particularly exciting.

Think of it this way. If AMD launch it before 2014, they'll almost certainly have to go with a 28nm manufacturing process. That will cause the exact same architectural limitations they're currently experiencing. Considering AMD essentially canceled their GCN "refresh" which was due out this year, they need a BIG jump in performance per watt to compete with NVIDIA's Maxwell and that means 20nm. The problem is that TSMC is only in risk production right now with 20nm (AMD and NVIDIA already have their 20nm samples in-hand) and isn't planing a volume ramp-up until late Q4. That means a PAPER launch at the earliest in November / December 2013 with availability in January / Feb.

Trust me, AMD doesn't want a 28nm GPU going head to head against a 20nm Maxwell since that's a fight they'll loose and loose badly. So that means all of these wack predictions are worth about as much as the gum under my shoe.

As for a GTX 760 competitor? I'd predict 6-9 months at least before we see that.
Interesting! I will keep an eye out for pricing on the 7970/7950 series to see pricing drop hopefully.

Or maybe switch to the dark side (nvidia) hehe

Thanks SKY
Old July 9, 2013, 02:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

I still think it could be the 8000 series considering the OEM line is almost non-existent... Only new thing is Oland.

Hawaii is a 20nm part. It's not really possible to just switch between 28 and 20, the entire layout has to be redesigned, and at 28nm there's essentially no way a single GPU could do much better than a 7970GE given the power overhead.

Hawaii in Q3 2013 is also spot-on information... hence why what TSMC is saying really isn't lining up with what everyone knows about Hawaii so far
Old July 9, 2013, 02:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Or maybe switch to the dark side (nvidia) hehe
.....and here I always thought AMD was the big proverbial "grey loud"....as in he "dark side" ;)
Old July 9, 2013, 09:14 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
.....and here I always thought AMD was the big proverbial "grey loud"....as in he "dark side" ;)
Depends on which side your standing I guess :D

(love my 6950>unlocked6970 so far)
Old July 10, 2013, 05:12 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post

Hawaii in Q3 2013 is also spot-on information... hence why what TSMC is saying really isn't lining up with what everyone knows about Hawaii so far
Basically, no one knows what they're talking about when it comes to Hawaii. If Q3 is correct, it would have to launch by the end of September.

Remember when everyone thought that Mars was AMD's next high end GPU? Oh how reviewers secretly laughed at that.
Old July 10, 2013, 06:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Basically, no one knows what they're talking about when it comes to Hawaii. If Q3 is correct, it would have to launch by the end of September.

Remember when everyone thought that Mars was AMD's next high end GPU? Oh how reviewers secretly laughed at that.
Some people definitely know Not just by the end of september either! Earlier!

Here, this guy knows what he is talking about more or less Sapphire Radeon HD 9970 To Feature 12-layer PCB | VideoCardz.com

The extra coolers may not be for radeon cards though

Last edited by Sushi Warrior; July 10, 2013 at 06:36 AM.
Old July 10, 2013, 06:36 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Given SKYMTL's accuracy in the past, I'm going to vote that he most likely knows what he is talking about.

Guess it is a long wait time for some competition again.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com