Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 10, 2013, 08:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

50/50. Both make sense.. As ever I'll believe what I see when I see it. :)

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old July 10, 2013, 09:21 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
Some people definitely know Not just by the end of september either! Earlier!

Here, this guy knows what he is talking about more or less Sapphire Radeon HD 9970 To Feature 12-layer PCB | VideoCardz.com

The extra coolers may not be for radeon cards though
This discussion is about Q3 availability. Since when is October Q3?
Old July 10, 2013, 09:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
This discussion is about Q3 availability. Since when is October Q3?
September is when the launch should be, perhaps a paper launch followed by retail availability in October?

The boards are being pushed forward very hard... Real rush to match BF4 launch, win 8.1, BTS season, etc.
Old July 10, 2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
September is when the launch should be, perhaps a paper launch followed by retail availability in October?

The boards are being pushed forward very hard... Real rush to match BF4 launch, win 8.1, BTS season, etc.
I'm still scratching my head at how reasonably intelligent people are not looking at TSMC's publicly stated production timelines before making these assumptions.

Hypothetically, AMD uses their "sample production" run to get cards to reviewers in time for these mythical dates. They'll run face first into yet another embarrassment where actual retail availability will be months after their "launch". If that happens, the investment community will once again have some very, very serious questions for their dear leader.
Old July 10, 2013, 10:54 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I'm still scratching my head at how reasonably intelligent people are not looking at TSMC's publicly stated production timelines before making these assumptions.

Hypothetically, AMD uses their "sample production" run to get cards to reviewers in time for these mythical dates. They'll run face first into yet another embarrassment where actual retail availability will be months after their "launch". If that happens, the investment community will once again have some very, very serious questions for their dear leader.
I always wondered about the thinking behind this.... Getting rave reviews for a new product/line might look good for uninformed investors, but if retail availability lags months behind those reviews then you've lost a hell of a lot of sales momentum.

If anything, it's probably highly counterproductive. Once expectations and excitement has been built up for a new product, if it's not available and you've already got those consumers convinced that the time has come for an upgrade there's a good chance they might decide to settle on the next best thing which more than likely will be a competitor's product.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 10, 2013, 11:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Or more to the point it allows your competitor time to get their ass in gear and do something to stunt your sales..

Best practice for me is paper launch 1 week, followed by a hard well stocked launch in 1 -2 weeks after... Just enough time for hype but not enough for anyone to screw you unless they just bottom out the prices on their stuff.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old July 11, 2013, 03:54 AM
Banned

Quote:

Sky, AMD "has" to get these cards out due to their bundle with BF4, and to a much lesser degree, the largely irrelevant launch of the GK110 cards by the market follower.

They're workin' overtime at AMD to get quality products out to their loyal fans, TSMC has nothing to do with it.

You really should listen to these guys, they have sources in the industry.

BTW, their sources are the AMD Test Drive/Advocacy programs for those of you who don't know that when you see a guy posting on many forums what reads like AMD press releases or cheerleading, he's doing so because posts and recruiting build up points for free AMD hardware:

AMD Test Drive Kicks Off With Free A10-6800k Systems! - ModCrash

Forums such as this are advertising markets for AMD, they give people hardware in exchange for promotion of their brand.

Last edited by SKYMTL; July 11, 2013 at 05:37 AM.
Old July 11, 2013, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The RealRollo View Post
Sky, AMD "has" to get these cards out due to their bundle with BF4, and to a much lesser degree, the largely irrelevant launch of the GK110 cards by the market follower.

They're workin' overtime at AMD to get quality products out to their loyal fans, TSMC has nothing to do with it.

BTW, their sources are the AMD Test Drive/Advocacy programs for those of you who don't know that when you see a guy posting on many forums what reads like AMD press releases or cheerleading, he's doing so because posts and recruiting build up points for free AMD hardware:

Experience the AMD Test Drive Program ~ New Technalogy
I hope that was a tongue in cheek response....

TSMC has nothing to do with it?

AMD can work all the overtime they want but they're not producing these things out of rubber bands and spit in some office in Markham.....

I'm not saying its impossible. I'm saying I hope they learned from their lesson from the HD 7970 launch.

EDIT: Sorry, I had to delete your link since it pointed to a page with constant pop-ups.
Old July 11, 2013, 10:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
I hope that was a tongue in cheek response....

TSMC has nothing to do with it?

AMD can work all the overtime they want but they're not producing these things out of rubber bands and spit in some office in Markham.....

I'm not saying its impossible. I'm saying I hope they learned from their lesson from the HD 7970 launch.

EDIT: Sorry, I had to delete your link since it pointed to a page with constant pop-ups.
Tongue firmly in cheek.

If AMDs next GPU is 20nm, it's launching next year because TSMC is the deciding factor.

I think what is going on here is viral marketer damage control, posting "They're comin' much sooner than you think!" in hopes people in the market for a high end card will buy it and wait.

Then months down the road if someone says "Hey you said they'd be out in September!" they can just say "I was going on the best info at time from VideoCardZWTFBBQ" and walk away from the misinformation.

The earliest I ever got a review card was two months prior to launch. My guess is if AMD had next gen launching in September you would know and wouldn't be posting "WTH?".

Their 7970 paper launch wasn't too bad, at least you could own a card in 10 days. I can remember worse paper launches.
Old July 11, 2013, 11:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The RealRollo View Post

AMD Test Drive Kicks Off With Free A10-6800k Systems! - ModCrash

Forums such as this are advertising markets for AMD, they give people hardware in exchange for promotion of their brand.
Lol the funny thing is I do have actual sources in the industry. Sky may know this to an extent...

Yes, because every person who says anything positive about a company ever is definitely paid by them. That's why I got so much free Nvidia hardware when I rooted for G80 or Fermi...