Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 8, 2013, 09:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Hot Weather n Overclocks!!

Its been getting up around 30+ c in my upstairs Family Room where my Gaming Rig is.....so...

Keep the windows open up there obviously with a Fan going and by around 22:00 it cools down to around 25 - 26c, gaming later in the evening.

Found my CPU OC is still fine, Max Temps on one of the 6 cores is 65c (acceptable) so havent downclocked.

I found that enabling "Vertical Synch" keeps the GPU's running around 50%, so the the Max Temp of the top card Maxes out around 62c.....compared to 75c running without VS.

Knocked down GPU OC's as well, obviously not needed when running VS.
Playing Bioshock Infinity all 3 Cards downclock with VS enabled running at 60 FPS top Card sits around 55c.....Bioshock although DX11 doesnt tax Cards much at all compared to FC3, Crysis3 or Tomb Raider.

So....Vertical Synch "on" in the summer n "off" in the winter

Last edited by rjbarker; July 8, 2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old July 8, 2013, 09:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Its been getting up around 30+ c in my upstairs Family Room where my Gaming Rig is.....so...

Keep the windows open up there obviously with a Fan going and by around 22:00 it cools down to around 25 - 26c, gaming later in the evening.

Found my CPU OC is still fine, Max Temps on one of the 6 cores is 65c (acceptable) so havent downclocked.

I found that enabling "Vertical Synch" keeps the GPU's running around 50%, so the the Max Temp of the top card Maxes out around 62c.....compared to 75c running without VS.

Knocked down GPU OC's as well, obviously not needed when running VS.
Playing Bioshock Infinity all 3 Cards downclock with VS enabled running at 60 FPS top Card sits around 55c.....Bioshock although DX11 doesnt tax Cards much at all compared to FC3, Crysis3 or Tomb Raider.

So....Vertical Synch "on" in the summer n "off" in the winter
Interesting..I think I'll give it a try. How do you have your VS set? On? Smooth? etc. Thanks.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old July 8, 2013, 09:47 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I will NEVER lower my overclocks my 570 is 82c but it's just fine^^
Old July 8, 2013, 10:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliz View Post
I will NEVER lower my overclocks my 570 is 82c but it's just fine^^
How high do you have your CPU clocked and what do you have for cooling? 82c is pretty high.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old July 8, 2013, 10:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My 920 idles around 75-80 during the hot days, then again my room can get over 40. Needless to say I'm not gaming much :p
Old July 8, 2013, 10:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

ware n tare

the heat will shorten life but who knows when it becomes a issue also govenor will kick in on gpu only
Old July 8, 2013, 11:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Slik.....in the nvcp I set Vertical Synch to "on"...the simplest one...I tried Adaptive Vertical Synch but didnt like it.......you're like me with tons of GPU Horsepower...if you set VS "on" your titans will likely run around 50% useage and maintain 60 FPS no problem, because of the 50% useage you'll find your Titans running wayyyy cooler.

I know it seems counter - productive to have so much GPU Horsepower and enabling VS, but this time of year it makes sense with the heat :)

Uh.....82c is way to hot for my liking on a GPU....its not so much how that temp effects you're GPU (it should downclock), but its the heat generated and how it effects your heat on your NB (mobo).

Old July 8, 2013, 11:12 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
How high do you have your CPU clocked and what do you have for cooling? 82c is pretty high.
I said it was my 570,GTX 570,it's ok for a 500 series GPU :) my CPU is not overclockable.

My CPU max temp is 50c and for my GPU,85 is the max for summer,i don't want that all year but it's ok for summer^^

and nah,my GPU does not downclock... it's overclocked with MSI afterburner and there is no GPU boost because it's a 500 series...

I don't worry too much about the heat that it generates because my GPU cooler design blows everything to the side panel,and i have a big hole in the side panel,I even removed the grill so all the heat is going out.Mobo is fresh.

Last edited by bliz; July 8, 2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old July 8, 2013, 01:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Most decently vented cases can still keep enough air flowing anyway. 85c is about the max I run anything for any period of time. Though my 780 doesn't get over 65 at 60% fan. Loving it..

Gets to 42c here in the summer and -40 in the winter, so air-con on all summer for about 12 hrs a day(well night / eve) and no heater needed in winter.. lol

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old July 8, 2013, 02:01 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Lol that's just perfect :P You can also put your PC at the window ,open the side panel and do winter extreme overclocks :P