Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   Hot Weather n Overclocks!! (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/62057-hot-weather-n-overclocks.html)

rjbarker July 8, 2013 09:04 AM

Hot Weather n Overclocks!!

Its been getting up around 30+ c in my upstairs Family Room where my Gaming Rig is.....so...

Keep the windows open up there obviously with a Fan going and by around 22:00 it cools down to around 25 - 26c, gaming later in the evening.

Found my CPU OC is still fine, Max Temps on one of the 6 cores is 65c (acceptable) so havent downclocked.

I found that enabling "Vertical Synch" keeps the GPU's running around 50%, so the the Max Temp of the top card Maxes out around 62c.....compared to 75c running without VS.

Knocked down GPU OC's as well, obviously not needed when running VS.
Playing Bioshock Infinity all 3 Cards downclock with VS enabled running at 60 FPS top Card sits around 55c.....Bioshock although DX11 doesnt tax Cards much at all compared to FC3, Crysis3 or Tomb Raider.

So....Vertical Synch "on" in the summer n "off" in the winter :thumb:

Slik July 8, 2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjbarker (Post 719019)
Its been getting up around 30+ c in my upstairs Family Room where my Gaming Rig is.....so...

Keep the windows open up there obviously with a Fan going and by around 22:00 it cools down to around 25 - 26c, gaming later in the evening.

Found my CPU OC is still fine, Max Temps on one of the 6 cores is 65c (acceptable) so havent downclocked.

I found that enabling "Vertical Synch" keeps the GPU's running around 50%, so the the Max Temp of the top card Maxes out around 62c.....compared to 75c running without VS.

Knocked down GPU OC's as well, obviously not needed when running VS.
Playing Bioshock Infinity all 3 Cards downclock with VS enabled running at 60 FPS top Card sits around 55c.....Bioshock although DX11 doesnt tax Cards much at all compared to FC3, Crysis3 or Tomb Raider.

So....Vertical Synch "on" in the summer n "off" in the winter :thumb:

Interesting..I think I'll give it a try. How do you have your VS set? On? Smooth? etc. Thanks.

bliz July 8, 2013 09:47 AM

I will NEVER lower my overclocks :haha: my 570 is 82c but it's just fine^^

Slik July 8, 2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bliz (Post 719022)
I will NEVER lower my overclocks :haha: my 570 is 82c but it's just fine^^

How high do you have your CPU clocked and what do you have for cooling? 82c is pretty high.

supaflyx3 July 8, 2013 10:28 AM

My 920 idles around 75-80 during the hot days, then again my room can get over 40. Needless to say I'm not gaming much :p

KaptCrunch July 8, 2013 10:30 AM

ware n tare

the heat will shorten life but who knows when it becomes a issue also govenor will kick in on gpu only

rjbarker July 8, 2013 11:05 AM

Slik.....in the nvcp I set Vertical Synch to "on"...the simplest one...I tried Adaptive Vertical Synch but didnt like it.......you're like me with tons of GPU Horsepower...if you set VS "on" your titans will likely run around 50% useage and maintain 60 FPS no problem, because of the 50% useage you'll find your Titans running wayyyy cooler.

I know it seems counter - productive to have so much GPU Horsepower and enabling VS, but this time of year it makes sense with the heat :)

Uh.....82c is way to hot for my liking on a GPU....its not so much how that temp effects you're GPU (it should downclock), but its the heat generated and how it effects your heat on your NB (mobo).

bliz July 8, 2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slik (Post 719027)
How high do you have your CPU clocked and what do you have for cooling? 82c is pretty high.

I said it was my 570,GTX 570,it's ok for a 500 series GPU :) my CPU is not overclockable.

My CPU max temp is 50c and for my GPU,85 is the max for summer,i don't want that all year but it's ok for summer^^

and nah,my GPU does not downclock... it's overclocked with MSI afterburner and there is no GPU boost because it's a 500 series...

I don't worry too much about the heat that it generates because my GPU cooler design blows everything to the side panel,and i have a big hole in the side panel,I even removed the grill so all the heat is going out.Mobo is fresh.

Dzzope July 8, 2013 01:02 PM

Most decently vented cases can still keep enough air flowing anyway. 85c is about the max I run anything for any period of time. Though my 780 doesn't get over 65 at 60% fan. Loving it..

Gets to 42c here in the summer and -40 in the winter, so air-con on all summer for about 12 hrs a day(well night / eve) and no heater needed in winter.. lol

bliz July 8, 2013 02:01 PM

Lol that's just perfect :P You can also put your PC at the window ,open the side panel and do winter extreme overclocks :P