Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old July 7, 2013, 02:06 AM
bissa's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kelowna BC
Posts: 1,160

My System Specs

Default GPU fitting issue

my 560TI is starting to show serious problems with the memory, so I'm looking at upgrading. it seems like the gigabyte windforce 760 and the twin frozr 4 760 are pretty good options, but both are just a tiny bit too long for the specified max length for my case (fractal design define R3 [~290mm]) but since it has that ~ I'm wondering if they are saying that for cards with the power coming out the back or something.

is it possible to squeeze one of those into my case? or if not as they are, how modifiable are they to lose some length if at all?
__________________
Strong like hummingbird, swift like oak.

I'm sorry july, I couldn't see you behind all that feruary.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old July 7, 2013, 04:58 AM
The RealRollo's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bissa View Post
my 560TI is starting to show serious problems with the memory, so I'm looking at upgrading. it seems like the gigabyte windforce 760 and the twin frozr 4 760 are pretty good options, but both are just a tiny bit too long for the specified max length for my case (fractal design define R3 [~290mm]) but since it has that ~ I'm wondering if they are saying that for cards with the power coming out the back or something.

is it possible to squeeze one of those into my case? or if not as they are, how modifiable are they to lose some length if at all?
ASUS GTX670-DCMOC-2GD5 - Graphics card - GF GTX 670 - 2 GB GDDR5 - PCI Express 3.0 x16 - 2 x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort at TigerDirect.com

I'd pay the extra for one of these or similar before I'd start sawing on a regular size one.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old July 7, 2013, 05:03 AM
bissa's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kelowna BC
Posts: 1,160

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The RealRollo View Post
ASUS GTX670-DCMOC-2GD5 - Graphics card - GF GTX 670 - 2 GB GDDR5 - PCI Express 3.0 x16 - 2 x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort at TigerDirect.com

I'd pay the extra for one of these or similar before I'd start sawing on a regular size one.
yeah, most of the other 760s are small enough to fit, but the gigabyte and the MSI are nice and quiet and keep quite cool too. so I'd like to look at those if they'll fit.
__________________
Strong like hummingbird, swift like oak.

I'm sorry july, I couldn't see you behind all that feruary.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old July 7, 2013, 11:27 AM
JD's Avatar
JD JD is offline
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 6,903

My System Specs

Default

You could likely cut a bit of the shroud on the Gigabyte card, but there's nothing to cut off on the MSI.

I'd agree and say you should just buy a shorter card.

If you really want the longer card though, cut out the HDD bays in the case.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old July 7, 2013, 02:23 PM
Dzzope's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Irishman in Kiev, wOOoo, I'm an alien...
Posts: 2,784

My System Specs

Default

Measure the space and buy a card that fits? Whats the point in voiding your warranty instead of just buying one that fits?
__________________
Random quotes:

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old July 7, 2013, 07:57 PM
bissa's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kelowna BC
Posts: 1,160

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Measure the space and buy a card that fits? Whats the point in voiding your warranty instead of just buying one that fits?
because the 760 fits in my price range, and the gigabyte and MSI boards perform FAR better than the other offerings of that card.
__________________
Strong like hummingbird, swift like oak.

I'm sorry july, I couldn't see you behind all that feruary.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old July 8, 2013, 12:42 AM
Dzzope's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Irishman in Kiev, wOOoo, I'm an alien...
Posts: 2,784

My System Specs

Default

And if something else goes wrong you have no warranty to replace it.
Whats the point in a tiny increase in performance when you could be out of pocket if it dies?
__________________
Random quotes:

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old July 8, 2013, 12:54 AM
bissa's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kelowna BC
Posts: 1,160

My System Specs

Default

yeah, for the most part, I'd much rather not mod the video card. I was more interested in what the ~ on the max video card length meant. also, as to cutting into the HDD cage, I can't really do that since I'm using 7 of the 8 bays and I'm planning on using all 8 eventually.
__________________
Strong like hummingbird, swift like oak.

I'm sorry july, I couldn't see you behind all that feruary.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old July 8, 2013, 02:28 AM
Dzzope's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Irishman in Kiev, wOOoo, I'm an alien...
Posts: 2,784

My System Specs

Default

So measure the exact length you have available and get a card that fits.
The ~ is to allow for discrepancies in the length due to slight variations case to case.


Also the MSI is only 267mm and every new GPU I have seen for quite some time has the power on the side, not the end.
__________________
Random quotes:

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old July 8, 2013, 02:46 AM
bissa's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kelowna BC
Posts: 1,160

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
So measure the exact length you have available and get a card that fits.
The ~ is to allow for discrepancies in the length due to slight variations case to case.


Also the MSI is only 267mm and every new GPU I have seen for quite some time has the power on the side, not the end.
Interesting. the reviews I was reading for it was saying it was 300mm long.

EDIT: Here it is
__________________
Strong like hummingbird, swift like oak.

I'm sorry july, I couldn't see you behind all that feruary.

Last edited by bissa; July 8, 2013 at 02:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fitting/pump Help homer98 Water Cooling 20 December 2, 2010 08:23 PM
[WTB] 1 SLOT SLI FITTING sinticfury Buy/Sell & Trade 4 December 31, 2009 02:39 PM
90 degree fitting Phobia Water Cooling 7 September 19, 2009 07:51 PM
[WTB] 3/8" T-fitting Cowboy Buy/Sell & Trade 0 June 17, 2009 10:31 AM
Fitting for top of micro-res V1 Sniper Water Cooling 6 December 6, 2008 03:12 PM