Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 5, 2013, 02:40 PM
Rookie

Default Under $500.00. What Nvidia card would you buy?

My GTX470 died last night.

I'm leaning toward the Gigabyte 770 4gb Windforce.

Reasons; Lotsa ram and 4 monitor support, so should support multi-monitor gaming (which I've never tried) Lotsa Cuda cores (compared to my old one) for apps utilizing 'em. My Gigabyte motherboard has been solid.

Are there better choices? Why, if so? I wasn't intending to replace 'til I build a new box, but this was unexpected so I haven't been researching. I'm out of touch with what's good about what right now, so I thought I should get some opinions.

Thanks!

M.
Old July 5, 2013, 02:52 PM
Rookie

Definitely the gtx 770. Having owned a gtx 680 (I sold it and got 2 670's) the 770 i think is by far the sweet spot for nvidia cards right now, in fact I plan to put one in my sg05 for my htpc/gaming rig. It seems like you dont upgrade regularly so 4gb might be a good idea. I remember reading a year ago that it made very little difference in most games but that may have changed since then and will no doubt in the future.
Old July 5, 2013, 03:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

What do you currently have?

Depending on what you have and what res your playing at I would hold off till either you need an upgrade at your current res or till you get your new monitors.

/edit

Just re-read and see that your 470 died. 770 is a good choice but really any mid level current card will beat the 470. 760 would be a nice choice.
If your really intend to go multi-screen then anything short of a 780 will really struggle to run 3x 1080 screens and 2 x 760's will whoop a single 770, though the 4GB is nice for that kind of res I think processing power will be more of a limit than ram.. maybe look at 2x 4GB 760's?.

Main thing I can say is research. Be sure what your gonna use before you buy.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"

Last edited by Dzzope; July 5, 2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old July 5, 2013, 04:28 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

770,it is pretty much the only choice with 680,but 770 for new gen and performance/price...

But please,don't buy windforce,the fans are kinda noisy,get Twinfroz 4 or direct CU2,twinfroz 4 is still the best anyway.
Old July 5, 2013, 05:14 PM
Rookie

I had a twin frozrII 680 and never noticed fan noise. most cards i've owned from nvidia have been MSI and I've never had a problem.
Old July 5, 2013, 05:18 PM
Rookie

Glad to see I'm on the right track.

This review seems to disagree with Bliz on the noise level... http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages..._review,7.html

Not sure of how accurate their testing is though. I think they should be testing with the mic a lot closer.
NCIX doesn't seem to carry a 4GB MSI 770 anyway-I'm not even sure if it's available at all.

M.
Old July 5, 2013, 05:47 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I have the evga gtx 770 sc acx and it is a very nice card. Runs quiet, cool, and it fast!
Old July 9, 2013, 02:31 PM
Rookie

Well, I ordered the Gigabyte card. Here's hoping that's really the issue... as the PC runs fine in safe mode and otherwise BSODs on nvlddmkm.sys, even after upgrading drivers so I'm reasonably certain that's the problem. I'm really hoping I'll have it soon as the Steam summer sale draws nigh...

M.
Old July 9, 2013, 02:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Did you wipe out the drivers and try it?

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old July 9, 2013, 03:26 PM
Rookie

I didn't uninstall, but I did update the drivers. Plus, I was actually watching when it failed... I was just surfing at the time and started getting weird lines of geometric artifacting... Then two or three display "recoveries" (I don't remember the exact term) then BSOD, from which it never recovered.

M.