Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 2, 2013, 11:48 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Beat down by what?

DX11 was out how long before devs started to use it properly in any way. Hell there are still plenty thats not used in many games. nothing to worry about.
That's because AAA gaming has been driven by console tech. Obviously DX11.x is about to become much more relevant with the launch of the new consoles.

Barring a great deal, I don't plan to upgrade my GPU until I know more about the memory requirements of the upcoming generation of games. With the new consoles having so much memory to work with, I'm concerned most current cards may not have enough.
Old July 2, 2013, 04:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

New consoles have so much memory because they are basically HTPC's...

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old July 2, 2013, 05:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
That's because AAA gaming has been driven by console tech. Obviously DX11.x is about to become much more relevant with the launch of the new consoles.

Barring a great deal, I don't plan to upgrade my GPU until I know more about the memory requirements of the upcoming generation of games. With the new consoles having so much memory to work with, I'm concerned most current cards may not have enough.
There is much wisdom here, yes.
Old July 2, 2013, 06:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Whose the dumb one now buying a 4GB version of my card, lol.
Old July 2, 2013, 06:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I learned the hard way back in the day when "256 MB's was more than enough". NOT!
Old July 3, 2013, 04:45 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyea View Post
From what I understand the newer GPU's which support 11.1 should also be 11.2 compatible. Also, game adoption most likely won't be that quick so there isn't really any need to worry.
My guess is that this won't be the case. Dx 11 didn't matter because the consoles were dx 9 and, sad to say, PC waits on consoles. If dx 11.2 is part of the xbox one and applicable to how the ps4 works, then the console ports to PC would by default require it.

It sounds like dx 11.2 allows some form of unified memory on PCs similar to what consoles have. Seemingly a necessity. Also, the consoles are 64 bit, so expect 64 bit games now. Will need lots of RAM on GPU and motherboard

Also I doubt the xbone exclusivity means anything for consoles since they are already using unified memory. It's more beneficial for PCs

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Dir...box,23322.html
Old July 3, 2013, 06:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I will say one thing about Microsoft: time after time they manage to drag everybody kicking and screaming into Microsoft's vision of the future. Their heads are getting awfully big these days, however. This "tiled resources" thing seems like a new spin on mip-mapping?

By the way, was this thread nuked earlier? I swear I posted in here the other day.

Last edited by YukonTrooper; July 3, 2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old July 3, 2013, 07:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Sometimes, usually when I'm bored I'll post a wall of text and hit the backspace by accident losing my rant (invaluable info) and not bother to retype it. You sure you did hit the post button before leaving the page?
Old July 3, 2013, 08:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
Sometimes, usually when I'm bored I'll post a wall of text and hit the backspace by accident losing my rant (invaluable info) and not bother to retype it. You sure you did hit the post button before leaving the page?
Heh... when I lose a post it's usually because I previewed it first and then forgot to actually post it......

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 3, 2013, 08:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ha! Yup. That's another one of my tricks.