Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 6, 2013, 09:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^ No offence..you seem like a pretty good too and likely far more of a "Geek" then me ;)......I'm NOT going to attest to be an expert, by no means, but I certainly DO see improvements in Framerates / gameplay OC'ing my CPU in both Benchmarks and "some" games....regardless of what the "Net" reviewers say. Perhaps its similar to your ability to "feel" the difference going to a single Titan from 680 SLi ;)

Running most Benchmarks increasing CPU speed does in fact improve overall in some cases GPU performance......now I have not "measured" this "in game", but I would guess there are some "CPU bound" games that would take advantage of higher clock speeds and multi GPU's certainly are happier with higher clock speeds.

I know you did state you play games (Bioshock) with "Adaptive VSynch".....I generally dont play with any vsynch at all, hence more GPU's for Max Framerates, BUT with the hot weather I thought I'd give it a try just so less strain on GPU's and lower temps.....so locked at 60 FPS (no 120Hz monitor here) and buttery smooth...no surprises at all....of course GPU utilization down to 50% or so and temps way down. Now what exactly am I going to see a "feels like" improvement going to a single Titan....sorry...dont mean to sound like douche....but I'm not quite getting it....."Adaptive Vertical Synch" is locked at 60FPS.....whether 1 Card...2 Cards or even 3 Cards.....it feels "smooth" ...looks smooth....no "jitters"....btw, I'm sure you are aware that Bioshock Infinity (although DX11) hardly puts any stain on the GPU's at all in the first place.....without AVS runs around 250 FPS.

Anyhow....nuff about all that I'm sure we're way off topic now ;)

Old July 6, 2013, 02:30 PM
Banned

I "like" SLi, and for some things it's necessary.

Used to have two 3d Vision Surround sets, had to be SLi there. SLi is also great for really high AA.

BUT, for one 25X16 panel I'm enjoying the mouse response and more natural frame delivery one Titan provides.
Old July 7, 2013, 08:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Remember that a 690 has a plx chip which takes some overhead off the cpu in your comparisons.. If your still on that. :P

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old July 7, 2013, 10:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Remember that a 690 has a plx chip which takes some overhead off the cpu in your comparisons.. If your still on that. :P
Feel free to show 25 X 16 benches where a 4.4Ghz i7 is necessary to drive 680 SLi, and I'll retract.
Old July 7, 2013, 01:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Also seriously? Can you link to the evidence the plx chip is making a big difference on 690s? To me it looks like you have the hardware of two GTX680s clocked a tiny bit slower and performing a tiny bit slower than two GTX680s.

Looks to me like GTX690s perform like two GTX680s would down clocked a bit.
Old July 7, 2013, 08:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Deleted.....aint worth it ;)

Last edited by rjbarker; July 8, 2013 at 12:16 AM.