Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 2, 2013, 09:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The RealRollo View Post
There's more to gaming than the fps reported by benchmarking.

I went from 680 SLi to one Titan, would not go back. Titan is smoother, feels more natural.
After dumping $1300 on a couple of 680's, then $1200 on a Titan....I guess you "wouldnt go back"

How do you spell "P-L-A-C-E-B-O" ......dont get me wrong, the Titan is a great Card, but for anything but multi monitors there are far better solutions out there now, including multi card solutions. I'm running 3 Cards, not sure how it feels or smells, but visually it "rocks", runs cool and is buttery smooth swift

Old July 2, 2013, 11:42 AM
Manufacturer Rep

My System Specs

Our GTX 660 Ti GC is going for $234 after rebate @ NCIX right now. At your budget, I'd go for a pair of them without hesitation. Comparing the numbers from my own testing, two Galaxy GTX 660 Ti GC's in SLI performed very similarly to a single GTX 780 and for almost $200 cheaper it's quite a good deal in my opinion.

Galaxy GeForce GTX 660 Ti GC 1006MHZ 2GB 3.0GHZ GDDR5 SLI 2xDVI HDMI DP PCI-E DirectX 11 Video Card
Old July 2, 2013, 11:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyTech View Post
Our GTX 660 Ti GC is going for $234 after rebate @ NCIX right now. At your budget, I'd go for a pair of them without hesitation. Comparing the numbers from my own testing, two Galaxy GTX 660 Ti GC's in SLI performed very similarly to a single GTX 780 and for almost $200 cheaper it's quite a good deal in my opinion.

Galaxy GeForce GTX 660 Ti GC 1006MHZ 2GB 3.0GHZ GDDR5 SLI 2xDVI HDMI DP PCI-E DirectX 11 Video Card
I 100% echo this.
Although they dont share the same pefromance/wattage ratio of the Titan or 780, a pair of the 660ti's are still a performance powerhouse. I've got them performing at Titan levels at 1440p. Pretty solid cards for the cost.

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter
Old July 3, 2013, 11:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
After dumping $1300 on a couple of 680's, then $1200 on a Titan....I guess you "wouldnt go back"

How do you spell "P-L-A-C-E-B-O" ......dont get me wrong, the Titan is a great Card, but for anything but multi monitors there are far better solutions out there now, including multi card solutions. I'm running 3 Cards, not sure how it feels or smells, but visually it "rocks", runs cool and is buttery smooth swift
Why wouldn't I go back? If I thought I was missing something, or not getting the best experience, I would.

I bought the Titan to see if a single, more powerful GPU could make noticeable improvements in the games I play. (and it did)

Playing Bioshock Infinite the whole game was much smoother using the Titan with adaptive vsynch than with 680 Sli and adaptive vsynch.

If you look around the net, you can find a lot of people who are not fans of AFR for various reasons and mouse feel and frame latency are among them. NVIDIA does a really nice job making SLi as close to single GPU as possible, but it will always be different.

Where I really noticed it is when the mechanics were after me, and when the bird was in the scene. I think I was dropping frames.

It "could" be my problems were exacerbated by the Dell 3008 monitor and the latency the scaler in that panel adds to the mix, and I suppose I could have tried it on my PC with the 3007 WFP-HC which lacks a scaler. But I can tell you running the games on a Titan made them seem smoother, and the mouse more responsive.

If you want to think running multiple GPUs has no disadvantages whatsoever, that's fine, but I think a lot of people would disagree with you.
Old July 3, 2013, 11:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^ No worries, provided you're satisfied is all that matters. ;)
Quote:

If you want to think running multiple GPUs has no disadvantages whatsoever, that's fine, but I think a lot of people would disagree with you.
^^^ In all honesty I have never seen "poorer" gameplay going from a single high end GPU to SLI GPU's, (particularly now that nv Drivers are so much better than back in my initial multi GPU 280 days) if I had I would be running single GPU. ;) .....anyhow, to each there own......

btw..not sure what your 990X is OC'd to, but you certainly have to clock the CPU higher in order to get away from "the jitters" (if thats what you were experiencing), I had my 980X at 4.4 Ghz, which provided better overall performance than 4 Ghz or even 4.2 Ghz.......presently I still find an overall GPU performance improvement going from 4.7 to 4.9 Ghz......these high end GPU's, especially running multi cards require high CPU clocks indeed.

Last edited by rjbarker; July 3, 2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old July 3, 2013, 09:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
^^^^ No worries, provided you're satisfied is all that matters. ;)
^^^ In all honesty I have never seen "poorer" gameplay going from a single high end GPU to SLI GPU's, (particularly now that nv Drivers are so much better than back in my initial multi GPU 280 days) if I had I would be running single GPU. ;) .....anyhow, to each there own......

btw..not sure what your 990X is OC'd to, but you certainly have to clock the CPU higher in order to get away from "the jitters" (if thats what you were experiencing), I had my 980X at 4.4 Ghz, which provided better overall performance than 4 Ghz or even 4.2 Ghz.......presently I still find an overall GPU performance improvement going from 4.7 to 4.9 Ghz......these high end GPU's, especially running multi cards require high CPU clocks indeed.
You seem like a good guy, but some of what you're posting just isn't true:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...review,12.html

Notice how an i7 965 at 3.7GHz is performing exactly the same as a 3960 at 4.6GHz on a GTX690, which is essentially two GTX680s?

I'd add that in my eight years in the NVIDIA Focus Group, where they sent me lots of video cards, motherboards, etc and wanted me to post benches that I scored with their products, they never once told me to OC my CPUs. Reason was likely because the benchmarks they wanted me to show off were GPU limited, not CPU limited.

They even used to have a whole marketing campaign about how high end cpus were not where to spend your money, because they all performed pretty much the same.

EDIT: I was running the 680 SLi with the 990X at 4GHz, FWIW. As you can see by the link above, it really didn't matter.
Old July 5, 2013, 02:54 PM
Rookie

For 1080p i would say the 770 is the best card out. for any higher resolution I'd consider getting SLI, I run two 670's at 1440p and its perfect. 2x 760's would work well.
Old July 5, 2013, 03:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The RealRollo View Post

They even used to have a whole marketing campaign about how high end cpus were not where to spend your money, because they all performed pretty much the same.
Hmm, surprising that a GPU manufacturer would want you to buy a GPU instead of buying a CPU? What insane business practices are these?

In all seriousness, I get what you're trying to say, but there is some truth on both sides of the table...

Plus, you've brought up yourself that CPU choices make a difference:

NVIDIA GTX TITAN vs. SLI & Crossfire Comment Thread

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old July 5, 2013, 05:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Single card it's hard to run into CPU limitations, especially if you have any reasonably modern Intel cpu (i3 i5 i7)

As with everything though it depends on use and other factors in the build.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"
Old July 6, 2013, 05:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
Hmm, surprising that a GPU manufacturer would want you to buy a GPU instead of buying a CPU? What insane business practices are these?

In all seriousness, I get what you're trying to say, but there is some truth on both sides of the table...

Plus, you've brought up yourself that CPU choices make a difference:

NVIDIA GTX TITAN vs. SLI & Crossfire Comment Thread
The AMD CPU issue is different than what we're discussing here, until now only the FX8350 was a reasonable gaming CPU. (now they have the over priced factory OCd models as well)

My point here is that there are observable differences in gaming with SLi and a single GPU. (and that IMO a single Titan > 680 SLi at 25X16 gaming)

Last edited by The RealRollo; July 6, 2013 at 06:31 AM.