Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 20, 2013, 12:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Tri SLi 680 Classy Fun !!

Got home from my month at work last night, took me all of an hour to get my 3rd 680 installed, took the "lazy" route n didnt bother with re-loading newest Driver, just a couple of re-boots to ensure full Tri SLi was functioning right ;)

Havent played with Tri SLi since 580's were first released and my first go with it was wayyyy back with 280's.

Anyhow, still have 2 of these cards in the "Evga Step-up" queue for a couple of 780's, may or may not go for that, step queue is painfully slow, been at #128 for 2 weeks now and only have am onth at home before going back to work, likely my queue will come up while I'm "at sea" and of course nothing I can do there....damn....oh well.

Ran thru some FC3, Crysis 3 and Tomb Raider last night, pretty decent improvement with over-all Frames, but really 2 Cards is plenty.
Obviously no requirement for 3 680's with a single 1400p display, but the 3rd Card was only $560 with the new Metro thrown in ;)

Heat n power is always an issue with Tri SLi, but the ole AX 1.2 kW is certainly up to the task:
- All 3 Cards running with very mild OC (up to 1215 Mhz Boost)
- 3930k @ 4.7 Ghz

Overall - fair to say Tri SLi 680's are pretty much equal to a couple of 780's, although these are 4GB Cards!

Thanks for checking this out....I certainly am not a photographer!!

Note Fan cover ;)

Old June 20, 2013, 12:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

try 2-way bridge and use the third for PhysX and compare bench marks

I like the fan on tri pak nice case
Old June 20, 2013, 12:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Nah, I tried that long ago with 580's, using one of the Cards as dedicated PhysX, cant be bothered with dedicated PhysX Card.....likely tonight or tomorrow I'll go thru a "clean install" of latest Driver, I'm sure there should be an overall improvement in some of the Benches......although your right, there would likely be an improvement in the "PhysX" score in Futuremark......but likely a hit in GPU Score ;)

I may give it a go though, especially for "PhysX enabled" games!!!! I think I have literally a dozen of various SLi bridges in my box of goodies ;)

The "old" TJ09 is certainly that....old, as in purchased in 2009, BUT definitely effective for Air Cooling, just not "pretty looking" like the new ones. Cable management not great....but its kinda like a Nascar vs a Showroom model ;)

The 140mm side fan was an addition a number of yrs ago.....

Last edited by rjbarker; June 20, 2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old June 20, 2013, 04:09 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Nah, I tried that long ago with 580's, using one of the Cards as dedicated PhysX, cant be bothered with dedicated PhysX Card.....likely tonight or tomorrow I'll go thru a "clean install" of latest Driver, I'm sure there should be an overall improvement in some of the Benches......although your right, there would likely be an improvement in the "PhysX" score in Futuremark......but likely a hit in GPU Score ;)

I may give it a go though, especially for "PhysX enabled" games!!!! I think I have literally a dozen of various SLi bridges in my box of goodies ;)

The "old" TJ09 is certainly that....old, as in purchased in 2009, BUT definitely effective for Air Cooling, just not "pretty looking" like the new ones. Cable management not great....but its kinda like a Nascar vs a Showroom model ;)

The 140mm side fan was an addition a number of yrs ago.....
You're definitely due for a new case. And those 3 look sexy!
Old June 21, 2013, 12:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ Until I find a better Air Cooling Case I'll be recycling this Silverstone....you cant see it in the pics, but the Hard Drive area is "separated" from the rest of the Case by a "dedicated intake" side vent with a 120mm fan that draws fresh air in from each side and pushes it directly onto the front of the GPU's, extremely effective cooling.The additional 140mm fan in the window was an after thought strictly for Tri SLi (when I had 3 280's in there). The seperate HDD area also has its own dedicated 120mm fan.
H100i fits up top with 2 x 120mm fans (there is room for a 3rd), and another 120mm exhaust top back.
The Case is also all aluminum polished finish, no plastic and very few rivets, it can be be completely disassembled with a screwdriver.

SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.- TJ09

The ONLY pita is cable management isnt very good and the removable Mobo Tray (love being able to slide it out to install Mobo) needs to painted flat black ;)

Not into the HAFX or space age looking "kid" Cases.....when you start looking its hard to find the "perfect" case, with "everything covered ;) The 800D is close, but poor for All Air Cooling.....plus I need an EATX Case

Old June 21, 2013, 04:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Dear god how can those cards breathe being so damn close.. granted you have excellent air-flow but still the fans must be gasping for air.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"
Old June 21, 2013, 06:29 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

That's the "problem" with EVGA cards,every EVGA SLI setup i have seen looks like that,no space between the cards^^
Old June 21, 2013, 06:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Here's some Tri SLi Temps for comparison idle and full load (knock around 10c off for SLi at Full load):

Idle = Fan speed set manually to 32%
Load = Fan Speed set manually 43%

Idle:
GPU 1: 36c
GPU 2: 32C
GPU 3: 29C

Load:
GPU 1: 70C
GPU 2: 65C
GPU 3: 57C

Its absolutely imperative you have "very good" dedicated GPU cooling fans :) I'd go with a h2O set up but I change out HW wayyyyyy to frequently...these 3 680's may get swapped out for 780's in the near future ;)

Old June 21, 2013, 06:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliz View Post
That's the "problem" with EVGA cards,every EVGA SLI setup i have seen looks like that,no space between the cards^^
its really not a problem...SLi is "tons of space between the 2 Cards"....3 Cards and 4 Cards are right tight...but as you can see with the load temps its not as bad as what you may think

Old June 21, 2013, 07:03 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Yeah but you have a 13c difference between cards so you much have great cooling :P my card,alone is already 80c full load and OC...If i added 2 others,one would be 93c,sheesh... Or even worse because my case sucks :P of course they are not the same cards but still,huge temps difference with tri SLI...

Means you are able to run a single card at about 55 c under load with air cooling,it's more like a watercooling temp^^Impressive..

Btw,which one is the hottest? the one on the top or bottom? i never tried i can't know...Is GPU1 the one on the top?

I guess your GPU dedicated fan is loud right? to be able to push air through that gpu pack^^

Last edited by bliz; June 21, 2013 at 07:08 PM.