Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 20, 2013, 08:56 AM
Manufacturer Rep

My System Specs

CPU may be a bit of a bottleneck, but I don't think you'll be sorry putting as much as you can into your GPU. I have one machine with a Phenom X4 965 and a GTX 680, and although I feel the crunch with CPU intensive work related stuff quite often it honestly doesn't seem to bog down games too bad. I avoid hosting multiplayer games with bots and that sort of thing, but otherwise it works just fine. Depends a little on what you're playing too.

As for the PSU, I too am a Corsair fan but have recently been trying out a Cooler Master and it's been excellent so far. I've got nothing bad to say about the brand, but I see your PSU has two 12v rails with just 18A each so a 770 would be a dicey proposition. I'd upgrade to something with more power on the 12v rail if going with anything higher than a 670/760.

As far as what GPU to get, I can say from personal experience that the 770 is completely worth it if you've got the budget. As similar as it is to a GTX 680 technically, I found the overall experience to be noticeably better. Performance was slightly better, overclocking was better, and the cooler was quieter (on our 770 GC vs. 680 GC). Our GTX 670 GC is on special at NCIX for $319 after rebates though, and for $80 cheaper it's certainly a strong contender with approx. 90% of the performance for 80% of the price: Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 Gc 1006MHZ 2GB 3004MHZ GDDR5 SLI 2XDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E DX11 Video Card

Your plan is good but you'd probably want to do 770 + PSU ---> SSD ---> More RAM --> CPU/Mobo. I recommend more guts on the PSU if you go with a 770, and you'll notice the benefits of an SSD a lot more than going to 8GB of ram although both are highly recommended upgrades. Just make sure you get good enough ram that it's still relevant when you upgrade your CPU/mobo later on.
Old June 21, 2013, 01:34 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

thanks
Old June 21, 2013, 03:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

To be brutally honest from a 210 to almost any 6xx card is going to be a huge jump..
at least look at the 760 before you jump on 770, as said above 670 is ~90% of the performance for 80% of the price and it will only get better when it's replacement hits if it follows 770 trend

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old June 21, 2013, 03:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ Definitely.....760ti or even a cheaper 650ti Boost....
I like this Evga product and reviews for it look pretty good...

EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 1072MHZ 1137MHZ-BOOST 2GB 6GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DP PCI-E Video Card

EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 915MHZ 2GB 6.0GHZ GDDR5 SLI 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E DX 11 Video Card

Old June 22, 2013, 06:57 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

670 cards at my place are about 530$ & gtx770@570$
about psu
i have only two psu available at my place which were recomended 1.corsair hx650.
2.seasonic ss-560 km.
both cost around 135$.
what about seasonic m1211 bronze ss-850am
it costs me around142$
Old June 22, 2013, 07:09 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Wink

mybudget now increased to 1000-1100$
i want to up grade to a more stable computer.

Last edited by xxx; June 22, 2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old June 23, 2013, 03:14 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If a 770 costs $570 then you won't have enough to get PSU, CPU, Mobo, Ram and graphics nevermind an SSD unless you go lower end at which point the CPU you have is so close that there is no point.

Personally I would do a mid-range GPU (650ti - 670), match your ram if possible for a total of 8GB, change the psu and maybe throw in an SSD, any budget you have over this I would put in a new build fund and save for a few years to get a whole new build when you next need it (2-3 years at a push)
Your PSU is bad but *should* be *ok* to run a mid level card BUT if it dies it could take the rest of your system with it.
Some people get lucky and never have a problem, some get lucky and when it dies it only takes itself out but I have seen whole systems fried to the point where the case is the only thing salvageable. your shout.. I would change it.

Your PSU.. is actually only good for 450W
Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 600 W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets

Basically you need to read reviews on anything your going to buy.. you can get decent PSU's for reasonable money that that will leave that one for dead.
You don't have to understand everything they talk about but they should say in their conclusion whether it's good bad ok or value for money.
And this goes for everything, ram, motherboards etc etc etc

Where are you buying from? Might help us advise if we know whats available. or what country.

Last edited by Dzzope; June 23, 2013 at 03:22 AM.
Old June 23, 2013, 05:48 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

buying from flipkart,india.
Old June 23, 2013, 06:03 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Bronze units are fine as long as they are good quality and with the prices you get charged I'd look at the corsair or seasonic units generally. Some of the Coolermaster ones are OK but you need to check reviews.

Quick look and with your budget I'd get the 520W seasonic there for 4500RS if you plan on staying single card.

Old June 23, 2013, 07:15 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

yes i will be using single card
can you help me out with other components
i will be using this computer for atleast 2-3yrs