Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 17, 2013, 09:36 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default GTX 570 SLI - Going Single

Hi all,

Yeah another post by me for that same subject. You can all see my rig from the header. Here it goes ...

My GTX 570 SLI is making me more angry each day. Is it SLI? Is it ASUS? A little of both I think.

- SLI doesn't give me the performance I expect from something that is heating up my whole room.
- ASUS doesn't know how to do fans correctly, mines are already starting to make a little noise (probably fine for the next 2 years).

So I want to get out of SLI, giving me too much room in a full tower, but that's another story. I also want, against all odds for me, to go away from ASUS unless instructed otherwise. My choice are slightly the same, my two GTX 570 vs

- GTX 680
- GTX 670 Direct CU II (Yeah I know, ASUS)
- GTX 700 series? o_O?

I again seek your humble opinion, what would you do? My budget is ~200$ after trade/sell of current SLI. So let's sum this up.

My gaming needs:
- Sim City 2013 (oh lawlz)
- Tera (may get uninstalled)
- FFXIV Beta (for now)
- FPS (I have Crysis 2 but want to buy more soon)

My problems:
- Heat
- Noise
- SLI not performing like I wanted
- Fans (ASUS sucks at it since a while)
- Can't take decisions easily (that's on me)

My possible solutions:
- GTX 670 Direct CU II
- GTX 680
- GTX 700 series
- [Put your solution here]

My budget:
- 200$ + trade-in or selling of both GTX 570

Thank you.

Gameplay > Graphics ... oh wait

Food > Gameplay > Graphics > Movies > Sleep > Work
Old June 17, 2013, 09:58 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

You will get around 120-140$ per 570.
+ 200$ out of pocket.

So let's say +-400$+Tx for total budget...

That's GTX770 territory where it's king of the hill IMHO.
Old June 17, 2013, 10:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I went from dual 570 SLI to a single 680 when they came out and I was SOOO happy with the decision. BUT! If you are willing to spend the extra $$, look at the GTX 770 over the 680, still, a used 680 is still a great choice and softer on the bank account.
Old June 17, 2013, 12:10 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'll look for 770 then.

Another question, should I stick to ASUS or go see elsewhere?

Old June 17, 2013, 02:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Gigabyte and MSI have been pretty good for cards and EVGA has always been spoken highly of. If you are going with just a single card, you could look at a custom heat sink design, but the reference blower design on my 680 is quite quiet.
Old June 17, 2013, 04:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

To be honest I'd go for a single 670.. plenty of punch for 1080 but won't last you quite as long and is a big drop in raw GPU power.
dual 570's should kick the socks off of 770 or under. granted at the expense of noise and heat.
I wouldn't have bothered upgrading my GPU at all if I was still on 1080 and had a single 570.

What do you mean it's not giving you the performance you'd expect? Is there any game that dual 570's can't max out at 1080?

Personally I'd try a single card if your not happy with dual and see if it improves your situation.
Then try and decide if you would be happy with something in between or if you want the same performance(ish) as the dual cards for less heat / noise.

770 once overclocked should provide you with about 50FPS~ MINIMUM in crysis3 with everything max'd out.. Thats allot of power.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old June 17, 2013, 06:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
To be honest I'd go for a single 670.. plenty of punch for 1080 but won't last you quite as long and is a big drop in raw GPU power.
dual 570's should kick the socks off of 770 or under. granted at the expense of noise and heat.
I wouldn't have bothered upgrading my GPU at all if I was still on 1080 and had a single 570.

What do you mean it's not giving you the performance you'd expect? Is there any game that dual 570's can't max out at 1080?

Personally I'd try a single card if your not happy with dual and see if it improves your situation.
Then try and decide if you would be happy with something in between or if you want the same performance(ish) as the dual cards for less heat / noise.

770 once overclocked should provide you with about 50FPS~ MINIMUM in crysis3 with everything max'd out.. Thats allot of power.
Due to many games not having perfect SLI scaling, I get better performance in most games with a single GTX 680 over SLI 570s. A 770 is better than a 680 by enough to cream SLI 570s. FYI I can also think of more than one game that you can't "max" out at 1080p... you can get near max, but not max and still have smooth experience 100% of the game.
Old June 17, 2013, 06:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

your PSU aint what its says 80plus for 12v rail is 40amps fine for one card IMHO

get another PSU that supports 80amps on 12v like seasonic SS1050XM
Old June 18, 2013, 02:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
Due to many games not having perfect SLI scaling, I get better performance in most games with a single GTX 680 over SLI 570s. A 770 is better than a 680 by enough to cream SLI 570s. FYI I can also think of more than one game that you can't "max" out at 1080p... you can get near max, but not max and still have smooth experience 100% of the game.
Disregard anything that is a horrible port or just horribly coded (Alan wake springs to mind) and the list gets very very slim.

My 670 gave me a playable experience at 1440 on BF3 (granted not max settings but high enough) I've not tried crysis3, tomb raider or the like but BF3 isn't exactly light on the gpu load.

The only question I would have on the 670 is how much longer till you would have to start turning stuff down. And how important is ALL the shiny stuff to you.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old June 18, 2013, 03:30 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
your PSU aint what its says 80plus for 12v rail is 40amps fine for one card IMHO

get another PSU that supports 80amps on 12v like seasonic SS1050XM
I've tried to search that info quickly but can't find anything solid. So your saying my current rig doesn't have enough amps to run both cards? I did run them to almost 100% capacity during a benchmark.