Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 17, 2013, 07:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

But my stock 780 OC'd to the same levels..
Really it's $30 for noise and at that not that much, it is a noticeable difference but the stock cooler isn't really loud till 60%+ on the fan and mine has never gone past 65% with a profile that goes from 26% at 30c to 100% at 90c.

Really if your dumping the amount of heat this thing generates into the case then your case fans will be louder than a stock one anyway.
A few years ago (hell, up to the TITAN) I would always suggest an after-market cooler but the stock one is no-where near as bad as they used to be.

If someone is really worried about noise I'd still probably look at the blower cooler as the difference in case fan and CPU cooler noise is worth it IMO
My cpu runs nearly 5c cooler with a stock 780 vs a 670 DCII and thats with 2x140mm intakes (1 over the GPU and half of the cpu cooler) and a 120mm intake on the floor and 1x120mm exhaust and 1x140mm exhaust with the cpu cooler facing up to the 140mm exhaust (sys temps dropped by ~6c rather than front-back position)

Obviously YMMV and horses for courses.. it just seems to me that with how much heat this can produce and how good the stock coolers are now that it's a bit self defeating to dump it in the case with quiet fans to just have everything else work harder and probably produce more noise than the stock one.

Ok.. I repeated the same thing there 3 times... I must be really tired. :P
Ohh and getting a 780 for $670 inc tax and del vs this for $740 at my local etailer (no idea why they were so cheap, everything else is about $10 -$30 more than the US before tax..)

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"

Last edited by Dzzope; June 17, 2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old June 17, 2013, 07:37 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I guess it all comes down to priorities. Personally, I don't mind the heat going into my case since most modern enclosures have airflow to spare anyways. In order to get these speeds from the stock card, you'll need to increase fan speeds, thus upping its acoustical footprint as well.
Old June 17, 2013, 07:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yea but my point is that if your so worried about noise you'll probably have a lower air-flow anyway in which case dumping the heat inside the case will probably result in more noise from CPU cooler at the very least.

AS I said, YMMV but for me I can't see the value this is bringing when they released custom coolers at reference 670 - 680 prices when the stock ones were rubbish..
Usually I would suggest a non-reference design but the reference one here is actually good as is so that I can't see how they are justifying the price here other than I haven't seen many other custom designs yet so they have less competition than normal.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"
Old June 17, 2013, 08:06 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I guess it all comes down to priorities. Personally, I don't mind the heat going into my case since most modern enclosures have airflow to spare anyways. In order to get these speeds from the stock card, you'll need to increase fan speeds, thus upping its acoustical footprint as well.
Since this card uses the stock PCB, I suppose another nice thing is that if heat is really an issue you could always get a waterblock for it later if you really want to drop temps.
Old June 17, 2013, 09:08 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Later this week.

3GB. Typo.
Sweet, probably around the time my order from NCIX arrives, looking forward to your take on the ACX.
Old June 17, 2013, 09:55 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Just noticed that they finally ditched the usual hideous blue PCB Gigabyte used to use. It was almost offensive to the eyes.
Old June 17, 2013, 01:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Nice review. Anyone going for a single high end card...I think you just met your best friend.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old June 17, 2013, 02:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Did MSI do a lightening version of this?
Old June 17, 2013, 03:26 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
Did MSI do a lightening version of this?
I haven't found one yet, and it's not on their website (only shows a reference model), but I suspect it's only a matter of time.

Once the MSI, and EVGA FTW/Super versions of the 780 are out and reviewed, I'll probably end up picking up whatever comes out overall on top I think.
Old June 17, 2013, 04:48 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The Lightning will be around.....soon.