Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 12, 2013, 09:11 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Question GTX 680 SLI no-space temps

Just ordered a second 680 to SLI with my current one (both reference cards). I have the Gigabyte EX58-UD5 motherboard, which being an older board, has the two x16 PCI-E slots close together (only separated by one slot), so for dual slot cards like the 680 the cards will be next to each other. I was wondering for people running 680 SLI setups, how hot does cards get when they are this close, and does it make them louder? asking this specifically because most numbers in reviews have the cards a bit further apart (on newer mobos that have 2-slot gaps between PCI-Es)

also as an aside, anybody still running 680 SLI on x58? I have my i7 920 @ 3.67Ghz, running on a single 1440p monitor. I hope the cpu is not holding the cards back (a bit hard to find benches with 680 SLI on x58 nowadays... anandtech's recent article skipped the 920 as well)

thanks in advance
Old June 12, 2013, 10:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Have a look at the pics in my Signature, I was running the SLi 680's on an X58 Classifiwd Board with 980x for about a month prior to switch to X79.

Provided you have adequate cooling in your case the cards in SLi won't get much warmer than running single. The two GPU fans will be running in synch so not a huge difference in noise. You'll see a huge difference ging at 1440p likely about 90% increase in Frame Rates.

Overclocking that 920, you should be able to get to 3.8 - 4.0 ;) That will certainly allow the Cards to flex there muscles
more.

Old June 12, 2013, 11:10 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

rjbarker, thanks for your response! your picture looks like you have 2 slots of space between the cards though (so one slot in between after installing dual-slot 680s), but mine has only a single slot in between so my cards will be tighter together. but hopefully it'll be fine (i have a side fan on the case like you as well lol). and yeah i stopped at 3.67ghz on my 920 because thats the highest it'll go at stock voltage before failing prime95, but i'll probably push it a bit further soon.

another question, in my case, where I have a 680 running already, do i need to remove the driver, safe mode + driver sweeper, then add card and reinstall drivers? or i can just slap the new card in connect up the SLI bridge and turn it on in drivers when booted up?
Old June 12, 2013, 11:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Sure you can try it, plug n play, you'll still have o go into nvcp and enable SLi......if you have any word issues then go ahead and do a clean install of Drivers.....btw, when I run Tri SLi there is "no room" between each Card, but provided good case air flow, not a problem.

Old June 13, 2013, 09:32 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Check your existing waterblock. External temps on it don't get much warmer than warm. You really don't need any airflow around watercooling.
Old June 13, 2013, 09:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Also make sure to not be running the default fan profile as your primary card (the one boxed in) will overheat as the default fan profiles are designed to work best in single card use.
Old June 13, 2013, 12:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ Arinoth nailed it, I never use auto fan speed stuff, here's my 2 Profiles Multi Cards (GTX 680 Classified, other non Classy Cards may require more aggressive fan speeds):
1. Idle / Desktop / Internet - GPU fans set to 25%
2. Gaming - GPU Fans set to 40%

Thats it...keeps Cards nice and cool with no possibility of over heating and throttling down.

Old June 13, 2013, 12:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

lol, have my 670 set to 100% once it gets to 85c. :P

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"
Old June 13, 2013, 01:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^^ Ouch!!! Even my 480's never got that warm, used to set fan speeds to 70% and never see higher than 75c , must be crazy loud at 100%

Old June 14, 2013, 03:48 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Don't notice cos I always have a headset on when gaming but I can hear them when it's quiet.
Also it generally stays around 80c which I think is 80% - 90%.. Allows a nice enough oc though. :D

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"

Tags
gtx 680 , sli