Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 6, 2013, 05:29 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default What’s on the Mind of AMD’s Matt Skynner?

Matt Skynner is a man with a vision. According to his press bio, he joined AMD with the acquisition of ATI in 2006 and previously was Vice President of Product Management for AMD’s Graphics Products Group. Now, as AMD’s general manager of graphics, he’s the guy managing one of the brands that AMD is best known for and has lead the unit to a number of wins on the graphics and gaming fronts during the past year.

Read more here and watch the video: What's on the Mind of AMD's Matt Skynner? | Hardware Canucks

Really great guy who is one of the linchpins of AMD's graphics strategy.
Old June 6, 2013, 06:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Matt Skynner is a man with a vision. According to his press bio, he joined AMD with the acquisition of ATI in 2006 and previously was Vice President of Product Management for AMD’s Graphics Products Group. Now, as AMD’s general manager of graphics, he’s the guy managing one of the brands that AMD is best known for and has lead the unit to a number of wins on the graphics and gaming fronts during the past year.

Read more here and watch the video: What's on the Mind of AMD's Matt Skynner? | Hardware Canucks

Really great guy who is one of the linchpins of AMD's graphics strategy.
Sheesh. That's got to be sad when all you can point at for your dev relations program is "We were instrumental in the better hair in Tomb Raider".

If NVIDIA "doesn't want the gaming market" and is outselling AMD 2:1 in it, imagine how well they would do if they "focused on gaming" like AMD?

OTOH, in light of the current GTX690/GTX770/GTX780/Titan vs 7970/7990 computer gaming card choices, I guess I hope NVIDIA keeps ignoring the gaming market. (not to mention the current state of CFx drivers)

From the outside, AMDs "gaming focus" looks like,"Keep on buying the card we launched in 2011 through 2013! We'll make another one someday!".
Old June 6, 2013, 07:07 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The RealRollo View Post
Sheesh. That's got to be sad when all you can point at for your dev relations program is "We were instrumental in the better hair in Tomb Raider".
Sheesh troll out of context much?? this whole quote is just a example of part of what they have done, not what they have done as you suggest
Quote:
How do you believe that the gaming evolved initiative gives you a leg up over the competition?
Well there’s a couple of things. One is focus. Over the past year and half, two years, we’ve really focused on this as being important to us as we develop this strategy. We’ve invested in developer relations engineers, and so we have what I believe is the best set of engineers that can work with developers. That’s important. The other thing is that we want to bring value add to the developers. A great example of that is TressFX. For the developers of Tomb Raider we brought a technology and worked with them and they said ‘hey this is cool let’s work together and get this in the game and make the game look better’. And it does. Laura Croft’s hair looks awesome. Working closely with them really as a team and bringing value add, that’s the secret to our success.
Old June 6, 2013, 08:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
How do you believe that the gaming evolved initiative gives you a leg up over the competition?
When your answer to that is "We did some hair for Tomb Raider, and we hired some guys" in the last two years, there isn't much to show for "Gaming Evolved".

Compare that to:
PhysX
3D Vision
3D Vision Surround
Adaptive Vsynch
Forced ambient occlusion
AFR profiles the day games launch not weeks or months later
Frame metering for AFR
Proprietary features for games like AA in games that don't have it, enhanced water
NVIDIA Experience game profiles

But, hey, they did work on Lara's hair.

Like I said, when Lara's hair is the best you can answer with in an interview, things aren't going great.

I've purchased two 7970s in the last 8 months. Besides being an abomination in CFx, I don't know what the "focus" of Gaming Evolved has done for me. I ended up selling one of the 7970s it was so bad to run two. Gaming Evolved needs to "focus" more.
Old June 9, 2013, 04:22 AM
Top Prospect

OH. It's Rollo. A response like that, from rollo, completely unexpected I tell you. I mean he gets free hardware from nvidia. Completely, unexpected. :rolleyes:
Old June 9, 2013, 04:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Have to say I was very meh with everything the AMD guys have said.. Nothing of note..

What makes you good? Focus... What really?
What do you bring to developers? Value add... WTF.. it's all bs, nothing of note.

At the moment they are running hardware thats been out for 18 months and the best we have heard on a release is for the end of the year.. 2 year product cycle?
Looking forward to the 8xxx series but not holding my breath that they can beat the Titan.. If they can, great, if not they are in trouble unless they can keep costs low and price accordingly.
Old June 9, 2013, 06:13 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I agree,btw,without consoles,AMD would pretty much die...
Old June 9, 2013, 07:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by velias View Post
OH. It's Rollo. A response like that, from rollo, completely unexpected I tell you. I mean he gets free hardware from nvidia. Completely, unexpected. :rolleyes:
I get no free hardware from anyone, have no connections to anyone.

Last four cards I purchased from Tiger Direct and newegg were, in order, EVGA GTX470SC, XFX HD7970, XFX HD 7970 Black Edition, and EVGA Titan SC.

The XFX 7970s were the best deals I've ever gotten on high end cards (by far) but that does not excuse AMD's only addressing frame metering after problems with CFx were pointed out for years by the press. (and they still trail in profiles for games)
Old June 9, 2013, 07:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliz View Post
I agree,btw,without consoles,AMD would pretty much die...
Consoles aren't enough to keep them alive, because the total profit per year has never been all that much.

People always look at console wins as great sources of revenue because they sell a fair amount of units, but it's spread out over 8-10 years and the parts are low end.

What AMD needs to do to compete is get their single thread IPC up, especially in the mobile market. (IMO)
Old June 9, 2013, 07:46 AM
MVP

After FC3 supposed gaming evolved that still runs like garbage in xfire I'm really not too happy with amd on the game front these days.