Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 4, 2013, 09:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Screen tearing below 60 fps? Nvidia control panel vsync not working?

So,

I've been trying to use adaptive vsync in the control panel or just off entirely and I get screen tearing in a few games. In Bioshock infinite, the only way to not get screen tearing was to use the in game vsycn and have the control panel set to off or use application settings (not sure which of the two I actually set it to)... Metro Last Light I still can't fully get rid of screen tearing, (haven't tried the in game option at time of writing) but the "smooth" option seems to be working a lot better than the adaptive at least. I also run into the odd thing where it's still reporting the odd frame that is rendered super fast and pushes the fps well past 60 (I don't know the details of when vsync actually determines you're over 60 fps the way the LL bench does).

Anyone else find that Adaptive vsync leaves them with screen tearing? Why am I getting so much tearing with no vsync when my computer is having trouble pushing 30 fps (yes it does get the odd blip of a fast frame or two, which may be the problem).
Old June 5, 2013, 05:55 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I just stopped using adaptive vsync,because it allows little tearing all the time,it's not that terrible tho... but even with ingame vsync i get tearing anyway lol,but it's not really noticeable.
Old June 5, 2013, 06:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

even a little bugs the hell out of me.
Old June 5, 2013, 08:14 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Won't work in Bioshock and other UE3 engine games. Have to set the maxfps vaule in the config file.
Old June 5, 2013, 06:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, so adaptive vsync doesn't work in the most popular game engine out there??
Old June 5, 2013, 06:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Adaptive v-sync performance is hit or miss; depends on the game.
Old June 6, 2013, 12:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
Well, so adaptive vsync doesn't work in the most popular game engine out there??
The correct way to look at it is UT3 engine doesn't work with popular methods of AA or, vsync. It was designed for consoles. Very poor engine to use for most games really. The metro 4A engine appears to be a console first engine as well.

Just set the CP to app controlled and use the in game control. Other than that, boycott devs to use a real engine.
Old June 6, 2013, 08:04 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

The ut3 engine is great. The best eye candy per fps out there. They just used different rendering methods.
I think the Metro engine is probably the least optimized. Massive system drain for all the added eye candy.
Old June 6, 2013, 08:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Don't get me wrong. A heavily modified UT3 engine can look outstanding. It's just not very PC friendly as far as AA and other DX9esque settings are concerned. It's hard coded in the game itself which nixes the users ability to adjust the quality beyond what's speced.