Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 2, 2013, 03:56 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Is my video card dying?

My dads laptop has been messing up lately and he lent it to me to see if i can fix it. Its an asus g73j with an ati hd 5870m. So pretty much what happens is after playing any game for 5 minutes it freezes then the screen either goes black or funny colored lines run down the screen, then it bsods. All the bsod says is that there was a problem, no code or anything. Nothing is overclocked, intakes have been dusted, i have tested for temperatures and ran evga oc scanner and it still does it. Gpu temp doesnt go higher than 82, i also ran prime 95 for half an hour to see if it was cpu related but its fine. I also tried the latest display drivers but that doesnt change anything. I really hope the card isnt dying, i believe the warranty just ended lol. Thanks for your help.
Old June 2, 2013, 04:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Does it ever fail doing anything other than gaming?

Try running something like furmark to stress test the gpu.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old June 2, 2013, 04:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBGP View Post
My dads laptop has been messing up lately and he lent it to me to see if i can fix it. Its an asus g73j with an ati hd 5870m. So pretty much what happens is after playing any game for 5 minutes it freezes then the screen either goes black or funny colored lines run down the screen, then it bsods. All the bsod says is that there was a problem, no code or anything. Nothing is overclocked, intakes have been dusted, i have tested for temperatures and ran evga oc scanner and it still does it. Gpu temp doesnt go higher than 82, i also ran prime 95 for half an hour to see if it was cpu related but its fine. I also tried the latest display drivers but that doesnt change anything. I really hope the card isnt dying, i believe the warranty just ended lol. Thanks for your help.
GPU overheating/failing. Common issue with the G73 issues.
Old June 2, 2013, 04:35 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Yea i just tried furmark, i also did evga oc scanner x as well, still messes up. I doubt its overheating though because it doesnt go higher than 83. I can hear the fans going and can feel alot of air coming out.
Old June 2, 2013, 05:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

While 83 isn't particularly dangerous it may have gotten a bit hotter before and done some damage.

If the laptop is out of warranty it may be worth opening and cleaning out the heatsinks or taking it to a shop to do it for you if your not confident.

If it is in warranty, back-up your data and open a ticket with Asus. Even if it's JUST out of warranty they might be good enough to help you. you never know.
Old June 2, 2013, 05:20 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Do you think the video card is damaged then? I feel fine taking it apart and cleaning it. Tried furmark again and it crashed at 72 degrees. Just looked it up and it only has a 2 year warranty, thought it was 3 years lol
Old June 2, 2013, 05:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBGP View Post
Do you think the video card is damaged then? I feel fine taking it apart and cleaning it. Tried furmark again and it crashed at 72 degrees. Just looked it up and it only has a 2 year warranty, thought it was 3 years lol
Trust me worked with enough of them. John will pipe up when he has a moment too
Old June 2, 2013, 06:31 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I know the gpu is soldered onto the board, but is there any way asus or a computer shop could fix it? If its even worth it?
Old June 2, 2013, 11:04 PM
MVP

GPUs can handle upwards of 100c in temperatures, but not in laptops. You simply don't have a giant heatsink and a fan to keep it properly cooled.
If you haven't already, clean it and invest in a laptop cooler pad/mat and give it a whirl.
Old June 3, 2013, 07:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

them pad / mats should be hard and stiff so not to block air vents underside laptop

most people take them to bed, couch and lap

best place laptop on a serving tray when away from desktop surface