Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 26, 2013, 05:13 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Question To SLI or not to SLI GTX 780.. that is the question

Hey guys I need some input here with regards to GPU. I would like to SLI my GTX 780 since I already have one but I'd like to hear some opinions seeing that it performs extremely well @2560x1400P. I have read multiple reviews and they show that the card, single setup without OC has great performance in all current games. So I assume that if I OC it then I can get 5-10 more frames and making SLI questionable.

On the other hand, SLI has almost double the FPS for this card. So let me know.

Thanks
Hero1

Last edited by hero1; May 26, 2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old May 26, 2013, 06:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Only you can make that decision. I know I run 2560*1440 and have never been satisfied to this point with any single Card, always have to turn down settings.
I'm presently running SLi 680 Classy's and still find there are some settings in some DX11 titles I have to turn down in order to maintain "steady" 60+ Frames.

With that being said I always run SLi as standard and am actually in the queue with Evga to step up my 2 680 Classy's to 2 780's.

Old May 26, 2013, 06:11 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Only you can make that decision. I know I run 2560*1440 and have never been satisfied to this point with any single Card, always have to turn down settings.
I'm presently running SLi 680 Classy's and still find there are some settings in some DX11 titles I have to turn down in order to maintain "steady" 60+ Frames.

With that being said I always run SLi as standard and am actually in the queue with Evga to step up my 2 680 Classy's to 2 780's.
I know but I just needed to see if someone has an opinion about it. I am think about adding another card as early as tomorrow and get my CPU cooling kit from Dazmode asap.

Is eVGA taking back your cards and you cover the difference or are you selling the 680 Classys and grabbing the GTX 780?
Old May 26, 2013, 06:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

No the 680's are taken care of by Evga thru "step up", will cost me $240 + $30 shipping for 2 780's. I just got the 680 Classy's last March so I'm about 2 weeks left to be within 90 day step up period .

Single Card is likely fine provided your prepared to turn down some settings. I like to Max everything and maintain solid 60+ Frames at all times.
Ill likely pick up a 3rd 780 and play around with Tri SLi again at some point (strictly for some Bemchmark fun).

Old May 26, 2013, 06:20 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Smile

Quote:
No the 680's are taken care of by Evga thru "step up", will cost me $240 + $30 shipping for 2 780's. I just got the 680 Classy's last March so I'm about 2 weeks left to be within 90 day step up period .

Single Card is likely fine provided your prepared to turn down some settings. I like to Max everything and maintain solid 60+ Frames at all times.
Ill likely pick up a 3rd 780 and play around with Tri SLi again at some point (strictly for some Bemchmark fun).
Ok, I was just checking to see if they still had the step up program running. That's good man. I like playing at 60+ FPS too and it's the reason I am thinking about adding another card. So I will add another card tomorrow evening, but I will just purchase it from CC since I live close to one of their stores. I will not do TriSLI because I don't need it. That money will be going to buying GPU waterblocks if I go for complete watercool setup (so far I am leaning towards that and about to order some stuff for CPU cooling).
Old May 26, 2013, 06:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

The PSU may need to bump it to 80plus certification for SLi , the 850 supports 70amps 12v rail fine for single
Old May 26, 2013, 06:26 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
The PSU may need to bump it to 80plus certification for SLi , the 850 supports 70amps 12v rail fine for single
My PSU is Corsair AX850 80Gold+ so it should be good for SLI as it is certified for it!
Old May 26, 2013, 06:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

From what I understand these 780's draw significantly more power than 680's, I'm sure your Corsair PSU will be fine.

Old May 26, 2013, 06:47 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
From what I understand these 780's draw significantly more power than 680's, I'm sure your Corsair PSU will be fine.
850 Watts is more than enough for SLI and being 80+Gold is even better. Will upload the pics of the 2 cars together tomorrow.
Old May 26, 2013, 06:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero1 View Post
My PSU is Corsair AX850 80Gold+ so it should be good for SLI as it is certified for it!
You will be fine for SLI as I have that PSU and have two 580s on it and the 780s draw less power so everything should be good.