Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 27, 2013, 08:35 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luay79 View Post
Adding a second GTX 780 won't give you a %100 increase in performance. More like %60~70 with the latest drivers.

As for FPS, You didn't mention the software or settings, but on average you can increase the performance of a stock GTX 780 by %15.
Sorry about that I made a mistake saying double lol. I wish it did double the performance. It gives you more FPS for sure. I have the eVGA card so precision is what I have and some reviews have been able to push the card up to 22%!
Old May 27, 2013, 04:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Thanks, I know what PSU I have, was looking for someone to post up some comparison numbers. I know I was pushing things with 3 580's high OC's and high OC on my old 980X.

Also running substantial OC on my 3930k....if anyone has numbers would be great

I see 100 amps so tri-sli not a problem
Old May 27, 2013, 04:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default marketing BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero1 View Post
I see what you mean, however, according to the review, the unit seems to increase efficiency after burn in. Also, they stated that after the burn in the rating is very close to 80+ Gold. The thing is: I am wondering whether or not Corsair will be willing to take this unit back on the grounds that it is not a true 80+ and doesn't have specified continuous power output and exchange it for something bigger which I am willing to pay the difference. Or, should I just sell it and get the platinum series?
rule of thumb baseline per card uses max-peak 40 amps on older cards newer card 35 -30 amps

so match up a PSU that has the real numbers on 12v rail not the combined BS advertised

burn-in is for silicon gets better not wire wound coils. you have or not also they loose over time
Old May 27, 2013, 06:57 PM
MVP

Any worries about melting the PS 24 pin connection to the motherboard?

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy!
Old May 27, 2013, 07:31 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
rule of thumb baseline per card uses max-peak 40 amps on older cards newer card 35 -30 amps

so match up a PSU that has the real numbers on 12v rail not the combined BS advertised

burn-in is for silicon gets better not wire wound coils. you have or not also they loose over time
So basically get a better PSU?
Old May 28, 2013, 04:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero1 View Post
So basically get a better PSU?
fine for dual but for Tri-setup get a better unit that supports 100 amps on 12v rail
Old May 28, 2013, 04:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionRed View Post
Any worries about melting the PS 24 pin connection to the motherboard?
if melts then means a poor connect to socket
Old May 28, 2013, 09:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Your AX850 is perfectly fine for two cards, but yes you would have to upgrade if you wanted to go up to 3 cards.

Remember I have the same PSU and have 2 580s and have my 2600K OC'd at 4.8GHz. Now when I have everything maxed out, my UPS shows me hitting about 750-800W and there are two monitors plugged into that UPS as well. Also I only ever got really close to the 800W mark was when I had the 580's OC'd up to just past 900MHz and the cpu was at 5.1GHz. So if mine could handle that you can handle the two 780's as they draw less than those 580s would have been.

Old May 28, 2013, 01:40 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
if melts then means a poor connect to socket
This is true.

But you might want to google melted 24 pin.

If a mb doesn't have an auxiliary molex power connector for multi card setups. The cards can draw too much power through the 24-pin connector and burn it out (melted 24 pin).

If the mb doesn't have and aux molex connector. A person could pick up this EVGA item to ease their mind - EVGA | Products | EVGA Power Boost | 100-MB-PB01-BR

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy!
Old May 28, 2013, 02:16 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I know mine can handle SLI/CF but I was getting worried because of what KapCrunch was saying regarding it not being a true 80+Gold PSU.