Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 24, 2013, 03:33 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Hey, from an "enthusiasts" perspective the Titan IS ridiculously over-oriced at around $2200 for an SLi set-up....no brainer!

To pick-up a couple of 780's for around $1400, considering the performance level of these, is not bad at all. I dont fvck around trying every combination of Drivers to get my Multi Card solutions to work optimally.

Hhhhmmm what did I pay in the past for top end nv GPU's, pretty goddamn close to $500 ea and for Classy's more like $590'ish, so again, given the price and performance of a Titan, for these Cards to come in at under $700 is not bad at all, hell, they could charge $800 each and folks will still buy em.

you do realize that this kind of $ especially in the last few years are hard to come by right?
most ppl now get what? 1000$ salary?

i consider myself somewhat higher than the average joe and i upgrade every 2 gens of gfx so about 3 years and i have done so since 2000, i can tell you that i cant keep up with the upgrades anymore. i used to buy the fastest around now i get the 2nd tier of hardware.

some ppl are out of touch with reality or very lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
Yeah, high end has always cost this much. It's just the amount of whining going on over pricing and the ensuing blame being thrown at AMD. Again, it could be worse than $650. It doesn't mean that $650 is AWESOME just because the Titan cost a ton more.
no you are wrong high end used to be affordable

geforce 256 ~250$
geforce 2 ~350$
geforce 3 ~350$
geforce 4 ~350$
9700pro ~400$
6800 ultra ~500$ <--- Boom this is where it all started..

i remember the ultra was nowhere to be found in stores ppl got the gt in volumes the ultra was just there for the performance crown very few were sold.

i dont get though why they cost so much. sure they need to spend a lot on R&D and stuff but cmon this is plain greed
Old May 24, 2013, 03:49 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero1 View Post
Yeah I am. I know how stupid it looks with that cooler. I was almost tempted to grab the Corsair H110 until the package arrives but I had to resist
Ah I see. Please post some pics of your WC setup when it's all assembled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplytos View Post
i dont get though why they cost so much. sure they need to spend a lot on R&D and stuff but cmon this is plain greed
Didn't the 7970 originally release at $550? Sure it's $100 but that was 2 years ago.. AMD doesn't have an answer this time around for the 780 so I'm not really surprised at the price but it could have been worse.
Old May 24, 2013, 03:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

In the Step up Queue at Evga for a couple of these!!! Will cost me $240 to step up to 2 GTX 780's!!!! Shipping is criminal, but of well!!! Still better than buying 2 new ones flat out ;)

Old May 24, 2013, 03:57 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by av3n View Post
Didn't the 7970 originally release at $550? Sure it's $100 but that was 2 years ago.. AMD doesn't have an answer this time around for the 780 so I'm not really surprised at the price but it could have been worse.
i never said Amd is innocent in this. they both steadily inflated the price with every generation over the last couple of years.

the thing is when is this going to stop? the salaries have remained mostly the same in the last 10 years or so.

lets take this to something else. lets say cars. if you check the prices for cars in the same category from 10 years ago they are roughly the same
Old May 24, 2013, 04:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
you do realize that this kind of $ especially in the last few years are hard to come by right?
most ppl now get what? 1000$ salary?

i consider myself somewhat higher than the average joe and i upgrade every 2 gens of gfx so about 3 years and i have done so since 2000, i can tell you that i cant keep up with the upgrades anymore. i used to buy the fastest around now i get the 2nd tier of hardware.

some ppl are out of touch with reality or very lucky.

....or have a career and work very very hard

no you are wrong high end used to be affordable

geforce 256 ~250$
geforce 2 ~350$
geforce 3 ~350$
geforce 4 ~350$
9700pro ~400$
6800 ultra ~500$ <--- Boom this is where it all started..

i remember the ultra was nowhere to be found in stores ppl got the gt in volumes the ultra was just there for the performance crown very few were sold.

Paid $460 way back when for my AGP Evga 6800GT

Old May 24, 2013, 04:13 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
dunno i got mine for something like 330 i think the euro/dollar was the same back then as it is now
Old May 24, 2013, 04:15 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by av3n View Post
Ah I see. Please post some pics of your WC setup when it's all assembled

I will post the pics for watercooling setup. Will only be for the CPU as my case can only hold so much. I will sell this case and pick up the NZXT H630 or mod the top and put a 360 from Watercooll and another 240 up front.

HT Fusion Triple - Watercool Store

This is how I see it. You pay for what you want. Heck, I paid $1200 couple of months ago for the Titan and I was like,hmm SLI? Then I thought better to way for this one to come out and SLI it. so in the end I only add $200 more to the price of 1 Titan to get 2xGTX 780 and I can save the other 1000 that I would have spent on the Titan for watercooling my SLI and whole system and still have money for the next X89 that will replace the x79 platform. Spend if you can.

Quote:
What do you think about the rad that I might pick up and mod my case to make it fit then add 240 of the same king up front for CPU. I decided to cancel my watercooling kit order to explore more options. I am open to suggestions!

Last edited by SugarJ; May 24, 2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old May 24, 2013, 04:37 PM
MVP

I'm disappointed that graphics cards are costing this much these days. I am looking to upgrade, and the last time I bought a video card it was the radeon 5850, which was the second best card you could get at the time, for $280. The 5870 cost like $330. $330-550 is one hell of a jump.
Old May 24, 2013, 04:49 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero1 View Post
This is how I see it. You pay for what you want. Heck, I paid $1200 couple of months ago for the Titan and I was like,hmm SLI? Then I thought better to way for this one to come out and SLI it. so in the end I only add $200 more to the price of 1 Titan to get 2xGTX 780 and I can save the other 1000 that I would have spent on the Titan for watercooling my SLI and whole system and still have money for the next X89 that will replace the x79 platform. Spend if you can.

good for you dude but how many ppl do u think can do what you did?
just because you and a select few can afford it doesnt mean its ok to sell 1000$ graphics cards.

i can understand some products have to be expensive and thats because they are expensive to produce.
a gpu a massively parallel processor cannot be that expensive.
Old May 24, 2013, 04:54 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
good for you dude but how many ppl do u think can do what you did?
just because you and a select few can afford it doesnt mean its ok to sell 1000$ graphics cards.

i can understand some products have to be expensive and thats because they are expensive to produce.
a gpu a massively parallel processor cannot be that expensive.
Thanks man. And that's the reason I said buy what you want and if you can then do so but if you can't then don't. I do agree with you that they are charging way too much for the cards and AMD is to blame for their inability to release competing cards on time. Look how long it has taken then to release the "official" 7990.