LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 24, 2013, 10:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
GTX680 launched at $500
GTX780 launched at $650
That's the 30% price difference Squeetard is talking about.

I think the bigger picture is that this card is 50-60% cheaper than the Titan, while only being 9% slower. I suspect the GTX770 will be marginally faster than the GTX680 and have a launch price under $500.

That being said, I haven't regretted my GTX690 purchase just over a year ago. It still chews through everything I throw at it. GPU lifecycles appear to be getting longer and longer, it's not the 6-month cycles we used to see with huge increases in performance.
Thats the key, considering the outrageous price of a Titan, !!!!!

Old May 24, 2013, 10:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
GTX680 launched at $500
GTX780 launched at $650
That's the 30% price difference Squeetard is talking about.

I think the bigger picture is that this card is 50-60% cheaper than the Titan, while only being 9% slower. I suspect the GTX770 will be marginally faster than the GTX680 and have a launch price under $500.

That being said, I haven't regretted my GTX690 purchase just over a year ago. It still chews through everything I throw at it. GPU lifecycles appear to be getting longer and longer, it's not the 6-month cycles we used to see with huge increases in performance.
Nvidia must love your thinking and an Aston Martin is a steal compared to how much a McLaren or Ferrari costs! Doesn't mean they aren't all ridiculously expensive.
Old May 24, 2013, 11:35 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
Nvidia must love your thinking and an Aston Martin is a steal compared to how much a McLaren or Ferrari costs! Doesn't mean they aren't all ridiculously expensive.
And ATi must looove your thinking something like "...yeah its a lot worse...and you cant really use them in dual settings from the stuttering...but boy are they CHEAP!...and thats all that matters"

IF I could afford an Ferrari...why the hell would I want to drive a Kia (which I do drive) instead? Quality and performance...cost. IF you can afford the best...and can justify the best...WHY WOULDNT YOU BUY THE BEST?!

Is the 780 overpriced? YES. But I blame AMD...as their tech right now cant keep NV "honest". IF/WHEN they release their new kit...we will see a huge price drop. NOW whether or not AMD will be able to overcome (what is shaping up to be) MONTHS of driver refinement and offer a competitive product to drive said prices down...remains to be seen.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; May 24, 2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old May 24, 2013, 12:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
And ATi must looove your thinking something like "...yeah its a lot worse...and you cant really use them in dual settings from the stuttering...but boy are they CHEAP!...and thats all that matters"

IF I could afford an Ferrari...why the hell would I want to drive a Kia (which I do drive) instead? Quality and performance...cost. IF you can afford the best...and can justify the best...WHY WOULDNT YOU BUY THE BEST?!

Is the 780 overpriced? YES. But I blame AMD...as their tech right now cant keep NV "honest". IF/WHEN they release their new kit...we will see a huge price drop. NOW whether or not AMD will be able to overcome (what is shaping up to be) MONTHS of driver refinement and offer a competitive product to drive said prices down...remains to be seen.
A lot worse? 20% worse for 40%+ less money If you demand the best, you're not a "typical" consumer anyways and the rules don't apply, some people just like blowing $2000+ a year on video cards. But for anyone with the pesky limits of rationality and cost, who are likely to be reading these reviews (unlike the "IT'S NEW I NEED IT" uber high end crowd) are getting misled by comparing it to the Titan.

You blame AMD? Well, using that logic I blame America for the Holocaust because they didn't stop Hitler from doing it

It's not AMD's "job" to do anything. You either buy their cards or you buy Nvidia's, and if Nvidia prices them ridiculously then you just don't buy Nvidia's. Yes, AMD is late for a refresh but I'll take a longer wait for some GENUINELY better cards than the refreshing and price gouging that Nvidia is doing. 770 and downwards won't be anything new, it won't bring any innovation, it's just marketing and business tactics. AMD is actually keeping the game moving and avoiding the refresh game this time around it would seem.
Old May 24, 2013, 12:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

It's not AMD's job to compete with their competitor? I think their share-holders may disagree

Not saying your wrong on the "most people should go for the 7970".. But I think some of your reasoning is flawed and fan-boyish..

IMO, the 680 is overpriced.. the 780 is IMO SLIGHTLY overpriced whereas the TITAN is grossly overpriced..
Single card AMD is still the best bang for buck but as soon as you look for top end stuff AMD are lagging behind.. (which is what the 780 is and is aimed at, hence why it's being compared to the TITAN in the review)

ANNDDD don't forget what price the 7970 launched at and how long it took them to drop the price when the 680 launched.

Last edited by Dzzope; May 24, 2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old May 24, 2013, 12:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
It's not AMD's job to compete with their competitor? I think their share-holders may disagree
It's AMD's job to turn a profit. They can do that by ignoring the high-end and focusing on the low end if they wanted, like their CPU's (which suck, regardless of their market strategy). What it isn't their job to do is mirror Nvidia with every product they launch and force them to price it the way you want. All that this whining is doing is telling AMD that it's a good idea to launch a $1000+ GPU, or at least a $700-800 GPU that's 10% faster than the 780. And then everyone would complain "$749! that's insane for a GPU!" but oh wait, that's just what everyone was asking for a minute ago.

I think people should avoid buying these types of GPU's, stick to buying the "standard" high end cards, the 680's and 770's and 7970's and what have you, and then next generation Nvidia and AMD will both keep price/performance on a reasonable level, and stop with the stupidly overpriced halo card stuff. But that's just my opinion, because I don't want the best of the best. But I'd like to think I share the same opinion as most consumers.

TL;DR: Solution to high-priced cards is not releasing more high-priced, high-end cards, but rather to ignore it and focus on the "reasonable" models.
Old May 24, 2013, 12:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Hey, from an "enthusiasts" perspective the Titan IS ridiculously over-oriced at around $2200 for an SLi set-up....no brainer!

To pick-up a couple of 780's for around $1400, considering the performance level of these, is not bad at all. I dont fvck around trying every combination of Drivers to get my Multi Card solutions to work optimally.

Hhhhmmm what did I pay in the past for top end nv GPU's, pretty goddamn close to $500 ea and for Classy's more like $590'ish, so again, given the price and performance of a Titan, for these Cards to come in at under $700 is not bad at all, hell, they could charge $800 each and folks will still buy em.

Old May 24, 2013, 12:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Hey, from an "enthusiasts" perspective the Titan IS ridiculously over-oriced at around $2200 for an SLi set-up....no brainer!

To pick-up a couple of 780's for around $1400, considering the performance level of these, is not bad at all. I dont fvck around trying every combination of Drivers to get my Multi Card solutions to work optimally.

Hhhhmmm what did I pay in the past for top end nv GPU's, pretty goddamn close to $500 ea and for Classy's more like $590'ish, so again, given the price and performance of a Titan, for these Cards to come in at under $700 is not bad at all, hell, they could charge $800 each and folks will still buy em.

I don't have a huge problem with the 780's price, I think it's "alright" for a high end card. I just don't feel it's accurate to call it "amazing value", that's misleading to consumers and not appropriate for a review IMO.

Yeah, high end has always cost this much. It's just the amount of whining going on over pricing and the ensuing blame being thrown at AMD. Again, it could be worse than $650. It doesn't mean that $650 is AWESOME just because the Titan cost a ton more.
Old May 24, 2013, 01:14 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
A lot worse? 20% worse for 40%+ less money If you demand the best, you're not a "typical" consumer anyways and the rules don't apply, some people just like blowing $2000+ a year on video cards. But for anyone with the pesky limits of rationality and cost, who are likely to be reading these reviews (unlike the "IT'S NEW I NEED IT" uber high end crowd) are getting misled by comparing it to the Titan.

You blame AMD? Well, using that logic I blame America for the Holocaust because they didn't stop Hitler from doing it

It's not AMD's "job" to do anything. You either buy their cards or you buy Nvidia's, and if Nvidia prices them ridiculously then you just don't buy Nvidia's. Yes, AMD is late for a refresh but I'll take a longer wait for some GENUINELY better cards than the refreshing and price gouging that Nvidia is doing. 770 and downwards won't be anything new, it won't bring any innovation, it's just marketing and business tactics. AMD is actually keeping the game moving and avoiding the refresh game this time around it would seem.
As AMD fans are want to do....you forgot to include NOISE in your equation. Your vaunted 7970 is EIGHT TIMES louder than a 780 (3db == double. so thats twice, twice of twice...and twice of twices' twice). Thats not even in the same ball park. Add in ststststsststuttering in Crossfire and AMD needs an answer to the 780...and needed one yesterday.

Or as Sky put it:
"But is the GTX 780 really worth nearly 45% more than a HD 7970 GHz Edition? To someone who cares about worry-free display overclocking, multi monitor support, multi card fame delivery, quieter fan speeds and properly implemented stereoscopic software, absolutely."

So yeah the AMD 'solution' is to ignore the high end...and hope NV's latest gen doesnt scale down very well. It hasnt worked out all that well for AMD on the CPU front...here is to hoping they get 'lucky' on the GPU front.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 24, 2013, 01:22 PM
Top Prospect

Great review! Will there be a future update for this review to compare 780 SLI with other SLI/Crossfire configurations?