Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 23, 2013, 07:27 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Great card, it's too bad nVidia has chosen that price.
Old May 23, 2013, 07:28 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Yes, it would be. Basically, the memory you are working with is still 1.5GB since SLI doesn't "combine" both cards' memory, which will hold you back in some scenarios. More importantly, you won't have to worry about multi card profiles for optimal performance.
Old May 23, 2013, 07:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Yes, it would be. Basically, the memory you are working with is still 1.5GB since SLI doesn't "combine" both cards' memory, which will hold you back in some scenarios. More importantly, you won't have to worry about multi card profiles for optimal performance.
Yea, the memory is affecting me I'm sure. I also get that it should help keep everything else cooler in my machine. Really though I wish I could get two of these, but the price is still a little bit higher than I wanted. Don't get me wrong I get why they have priced it where they have, but dropping the price down to say $599, would have made more sense to me.

I guess I just have to decide if the performance that I will actually see is going to be worth the $650 or not.

Old May 23, 2013, 07:44 AM

Then wait for used cards to go on sale. :)
Old May 23, 2013, 07:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Probably be comparable performance with much reduced heat, noise & power.. At least in non memory limited situation, in which case the 780 would leap ahead.. Should also be smoother.

Selling your 2 580's would get you?? $300 -400? thats not too bad to pay the difference for one of these with the pro's it would bring.
Old May 23, 2013, 07:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Yes. Read the HD 7990 review. AMD's Eyefinity profile for Assassin's Creed III is missing and they are broken in Crysis 3 and Far Cry 3. I haven't included the games in this review but Eyefinity also has issues in Bioshock Infinite and Metro Last Light.
Crysis 3: [Updated] Crysis 3 Patch 1.3 adds support for Eyefinity and HD3D | RadeonPro - AMD Radeon? Unleashed

Metro also is a brand new release that AMD never had a chance to add support for so it'll need a patch/new driver.

But I digress. I guess my issue with the review overall is comparing it to the Titan, which is a halo card and Nvidia is charging out the ass for. Of course this is going to be good value compared to it, of course it will perform almost the same, but it still is "meh" compared to the 7970 and 680/770.
Old May 23, 2013, 07:59 AM

The game is OK. AMD's profile is what's buggered up.
Old May 23, 2013, 08:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Probably be comparable performance with much reduced heat, noise & power.. At least in non memory limited situation, in which case the 780 would leap ahead.. Should also be smoother.

Selling your 2 580's would get you?? $300 -400? thats not too bad to pay the difference for one of these with the pro's it would bring.
Well the thing is about selling my 580's, I was actually thinking of putting one into my sons machine (not sure) and then another one into a machine I have at work for gaming during lunch and such.

Couple more questions, As I remembered now, my board is of course still PCI-E 2, and will only do full 16x speed when one card is in, it goes down to 8x/8x for sli situations. Are we at the point now where that drop to 8x would affect the performance if I had 2 of these 780's in there?

Also one last question, any thoughts on the Evga ACX cooler?

Old May 23, 2013, 08:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Couple more questions, As I remembered now, my board is of course still PCI-E 2, and will only do full 16x speed when one card is in, it goes down to 8x/8x for sli situations. Are we at the point now where that drop to 8x would affect the performance if I had 2 of these 780's in there?

Also one last question, any thoughts on the Evga ACX cooler?
Expect to lose about 10-20% with 8x/8x, maybe more. Not sure if the 780 is bandwidth heavy or not.
Old May 23, 2013, 08:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You would gain more than you'd loose (if you get me) but 2 x8 slots for these wouldn't be ideal. Go single till it's time to upgrade the lot?