Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 25, 2013, 04:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero1 View Post
Off to CC to get a second one. Should I?
If you got the $$$ why not?

Old May 25, 2013, 05:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

All sold out in my neck of the woods. I was debating with myself a bout getting one as I just bought the 650 boosts and my main rig is down. Now I wait.....
Old May 25, 2013, 06:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

My queue is at #200, I would think a month or so anyhow to get em.

Old May 25, 2013, 06:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm glad there are supply issues (as expected) as it would be a foolish purchase for me right now to buy this... Should at least wait for a couple pay cheques at work since I've been spending tons of money lately... To the people complaining about price gouging, this card is really expensive, but I don't see it as gouging. Yeah, they are pricing it very high, but it has the performance to match and it's a pretty big step up from the 680 in a LOT of ways. Okay, maybe they are padding their profit margin higher than the current line up, but that always happens and they're not doing it by as much as AMD did with their first 7xxx series cards. If the "suggestion" of other 7xx cards in the pipeline is true, it won't be long before you get the prices you're looking for.
Old May 25, 2013, 09:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
I'm glad there are supply issues (as expected) as it would be a foolish purchase for me right now to buy this... Should at least wait for a couple pay cheques at work since I've been spending tons of money lately... To the people complaining about price gouging, this card is really expensive, but I don't see it as gouging. Yeah, they are pricing it very high, but it has the performance to match and it's a pretty big step up from the 680 in a LOT of ways. Okay, maybe they are padding their profit margin higher than the current line up, but that always happens and they're not doing it by as much as AMD did with their first 7xxx series cards. If the "suggestion" of other 7xx cards in the pipeline is true, it won't be long before you get the prices you're looking for.

I'm not saying that Nvidia is gouging (well they are charging more than I think they should be but it is a top tier card), I was referring to the retailers upping their price twice over about 36 hours due to the demand. That is gouging as they are not paying any more to their suppliers (well no proof, but I doubt it). For example evga, didn't raise their prices while NCIX did.

Old May 25, 2013, 10:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
I'm not saying that Nvidia is gouging (well they are charging more than I think they should be but it is a top tier card), I was referring to the retailers upping their price twice over about 36 hours due to the demand. That is gouging as they are not paying any more to their suppliers (well no proof, but I doubt it). For example evga, didn't raise their prices while NCIX did.
Some of the people posting pointed fingers at Nvidia, I have nothing against the people pointing fingers at retailers, even though they are just doing what the market allows.
Old May 26, 2013, 05:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
Some of the people posting pointed fingers at Nvidia, I have nothing against the people pointing fingers at retailers, even though they are just doing what the market allows.
I never get this, every card launch.

If a card is popular, the etailers raise the price every single time. It's not some big surprise, yet every time people act shocked and outraged.

Hint: If you want the card, buy it the day it launches because they will only get more expensive for a while. Use your credit card if you don't have the money, but don't expect to save up a few weeks and buy one for the same price, and most of the time even find one.
Old May 26, 2013, 10:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If I was a retailer I would raise the price. Only makes sense.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old May 26, 2013, 10:57 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
If I was a retailer I would raise the price. Only makes sense.
Considering the margins they operate on, its a great oppertunity to actually turn a little more of a profit.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 29, 2013, 12:50 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default supply and demand

Quote:
Originally Posted by The RealRollo View Post
I never get this, …
If a card is popular, the etailers raise the price every single time. It's not some big surprise, yet every time people act shocked and outraged. …one.
I concur. It also depends on how much stock (or how little) is flowing in the retail channel as well as how much competition there is. As AMD is not competing in this range and there doesn’t appear to be much stock of the GTX 780 (yet), the prices are a bit over MSRP. I suspect that there will be a decent amount of stock coming fairly soon (although I really have no way of knowing) and prices will settle down. Unlike the long time it took for large quantities of stock to arrive way back when the 6800 GT and Ultra were released.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplytos View Post
you do realize…
no you are wrong high end used to be affordable
geforce 256 ~250$
geforce 2 ~350$
geforce 3 ~350$
geforce 4 ~350$
9700pro ~400$
6800 ultra ~500$ <--- Boom this is where it all started..
i remember the ultra was nowhere to be found in stores ppl got the gt in volumes the ultra was just there for the performance crown very few were sold. …greed
The Ultra (and the EE) were very rare and retailers were charging way more than MSRP if they even had one (much more than $500).
The 6800 GT was also hard to find for the first few months and retail prices were much higher than MSRP.
My 6800 GT was purchased in Aug 04’ for $640 (includes taxes) and I sold it 2 months later for the same $640.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSound View Post
I …btw, I paid $420 for my 6800u 128mb, and $640 for my 6800GT back when they were first released. If you paid $450 for a 6800GT back then, you got a great deal
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
I paid $460...someone saw you coming as I could have gotten the 6800 Ultra for $510 but didnt want to wait for it … …as well
I suspect you might have purchased a few months after the 6800’s release when more stock came into the channel and prices dropped. Just sayin’
MAIN: i5 3570 @ 4.5Ghz wH100 / evga GTX780 SOC / MSI Z77A-G45 / 8gb G.Skill 2133 1T / 30" 2560x1600 / Antec P280 / PCP&C 950w / Intel 520 SSD 240gb / Eclipse / G3-Lazer / z5300 / Win7 Pro64 / APC Xs1300
HTPC : nMedia6000B / AMD X2 4400+ / M2A-VM / Corsair 4GB 800 / LiteOn Blu-Ray / 8800GT / Samsung 46"LCD / 2x2TB / OCZ500 / ATI550 / Wrless Kbrd & Rmte / z-5500 / Win7Pro / APC700
"You must be the change you want to see in the world" 
- Mahatma Gandhi