Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 25, 2013, 09:30 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Wow. Looks like I kicked the Hornets nest :)

It all boils down to this. They will charge what they want and we will buy what we want.

I'm sure nVidia has crunched the numbers. "We will sell X amount at $X and X*2 amount at $X/2" and priced it accordingly.

But the 780 seems like they are sticking it to us, because there is no competitor in that performance range. The 780 GPU is basically a failed Titan wafer, they can't have a lot into these.

Why don't they price it closer to the 7970 and crush AMD?
Old May 25, 2013, 09:48 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Because they dont WANT to crush AMD. Think Coke vs Pepsi (or intel vs amd). Oh they talk a great game and some of the lower peeps hate the other team...but the big boys want a 2nd competitor so they can get around monopoly laws in europe, Peoples Free Democratic Republic of Canuckistan...and even 'murica. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 25, 2013, 12:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
I was comparing AMD to AMD because he mentioned the 5850 No doubt there are several Nvidia cards that perform better.
Fair enough, apologies.

There's only one AMD card that exists right now in my opinion- the 7970 which is by FAR the best deal on a "high end" card around.

And they're cheap enough I don't know why anyone would even think of other AMD parts:

XFX Double D FX-797A-TDBC Radeon HD Black Edition 3GB GDDR5 CrossFireX Support Video Card - Newegg.com

To get that card with four games for $359 shipped with 4 games makes 7950s, 660Tis, 670s, and maybe even 680s largely irrelevant. (at least bang for buck-wise)

I have that card in one of my boxes, it's a good card.
Old May 25, 2013, 12:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

"Sell and they shall buy"...... ;)

Look how many foks thought nothin of it to drop over $2.2K on Titan SLi.....wow...now that one I had to think hard about it before pulling the pin. Actually I had em in my Shopping Cart (NCIX), got to the final page to "commit n pay", looked at the final price, close to $2.3K and couldnt do it ;) Take a G note off of that and I do it !!

Old May 25, 2013, 12:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplytos View Post
well you are wrong sir 11 years ago i build a top tier pc for about 850€

pentium4 3.2ghz 800fsb northwood
msi 865pe chipset fully loaded with everything you could think of sata firewire bluetooth the lot
1GB DDR 400 ram low latency
radeon 9700pro

also in america maybe your salaries have doubled in the last 10 years but not in the rest of the world.
the salaries have remained roughly the same
Sorry, calling BS on this, as at around the same time I bought a PC.., (the first with my own cash) and your way off the mark.
From a quick check on the processor it was released in June 03 not in o2 and was $637 on release (not including taxes or the fact that europe gets screwed for components)

512 MB od that ram was about $200 so your over $1000 before you talk about the GPU, HDD, mobo, case, psu or anything else.
Ohh and the 9700 was replaced by the 9800 in early 2003 so even if you got the GPU cheap it was 1 gen behind and released at $399 (again not including taxes or European shit prices).

Now Considering the exchange rate at the time and the HUGE price of storage per MB and that intel motherboards have always been expensive, your either spouting pure BS or your way off the mark on your dates.
Your looking at easily $2k and thats only if you got american prices, which you couldn't do..
A friend of mine used to buy in the states when visiting his brother and I was always amazed at how much he saved. (nearly half the price that I had to pay for components from the likes of Komplett or other etailers of the era)

And Being from Ireland, I know European salaries increased dramatically in that period almost throughout Europe. No it didn't double as most places were well into the boom (at least in most area's) but in others it was probably more.

Last edited by Dzzope; May 25, 2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old May 25, 2013, 12:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Sorry, calling BS on this, as at around the same time I bought a PC.., (the first with my own cash) and your way off the mark.
From a quick check on the processor it was released in June 03 not in o2 and was $637 on release (not including taxes or the fact that europe gets screwed for components)

512 MB od that ram was about $200 so your over $1000 before you talk about the GPU, HDD, mobo, case, psu or anything else.
Ohh and the 9700 was replaced by the 9800 in early 2003 so even if you got the GPU cheap it was 1 gen behind and released at $399 (again not including taxes or European shit prices).

Now Considering the exchange rate at the time and the HUGE price of ram / MBV and your either spouting pure BS or your way off the mark on your dates.

And Being from Ireland, I know European salaries increased dramatically in that period almost throughout Europe. No it didn't double (at least not in most area's) but in others it was probably more.
One of my first builds way back when...P4 3.2 Ghz...was it Prescott? Cant remember, anyhow believe I went with 4 x 512MB RAM and I know I put a 6800GT in it....was around $3K CDN.

Old May 25, 2013, 02:09 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
One of my first builds way back when...P4 3.2 Ghz...was it Prescott? Cant remember, anyhow believe I went with 4 x 512MB RAM and I know I put a 6800GT in it....was around $3K CDN.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post

Now Considering the exchange rate at the time and the HUGE price of storage per MB and that intel motherboards have always been expensive, your either spouting pure BS or your way off the mark on your dates.
Your looking at easily $2k and thats only if you got american prices, which you couldn't do..
A friend of mine used to buy in the states when visiting his brother and I was always amazed at how much he saved. (nearly half the price that I had to pay for components from the likes of Komplett or other etailers of the era)

And Being from Ireland, I know European salaries increased dramatically in that period almost throughout Europe. No it didn't double as most places were well into the boom (at least in most area's) but in others it was probably more.
I totally agree with you guys. Mine when my parents bought it made for me with Prescott cost them $3000. Today, I can make a cheap PC if I want to that outdoes the old one for less than a half. Heck, I made my wife a PC for HTPC and when it all came down it only cost $700 and it can handle games like crazy.

Prices have gone down a lot and I think it's the reason we can afford to spend. And wages, in my case, has gone up a lot and my wife doesn't mind if I go and buy something so long that I want it and I am happy about it and I can teach her a thing or two on what it does.
Old May 25, 2013, 02:18 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
Stuttering will be long forgotten in a months time, the prototype driver fixes any problems. Why did they need a new card "yesterday"? Do you think that Nvidia and AMD coordinate dates for card launches? New cards involve lots of crystal ball gazing and lots of long term planning, which AMD is currently doing... and Nvidia sidestepped by launching a rehash series. Just wait for Hawaii, it isn't that far off anyways.
I sure hope so, 7950 CF has been buggy for my, I never had any serious issues with 6950 CF

By the time I upgrade a lot more reviews will include frame times and such
Old May 25, 2013, 02:22 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Off to CC to get a second one. Should I?
Old May 25, 2013, 04:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My first computer was $800 plus change. It had a 3.2ghz Pentium 4, (can't remember the ram but it was DDR2), and a ATI 500. That was a pretty low-mid end gaming PC at the time.

I will agree that the 780 is over priced but so is the Titan/690. When the 690 came out though it was an excellent price. At $1000 it was nearly the same performance of 680 SLI for the same price and was quieter, cooler, and used less power. That to me was a great deal.

Now fast forward to today. The 690 and 680 have not dropped in price so the 690 is still at $1000. People were buying it so nVidia released the Titan at $1000. That was a high price seeing as it is 10% slower than a 690 but it is a single GPU so I guess you could justify the price. Nvidia have also stated that the Titan sold more than expected so they realized they could release the 780 at a high price.

The problem is the 690 was such an awesome card. If the 690 would have been a typical dual GPU card that was only dual 670's then it would have been priced at $700. Then the Titan would have been $700 and the 780 at $650... OH wait....

Well there ya go the 780 is priced decently until AMD can release a card that can compete at a cheaper price.

Also to demonstrate inflation there is a big problem with people buying life insurance. There are a lot of old people that have $4000 life insurance. At the time that was great because it could easily pay for a funeral and still have plenty left over for the other spouse. Now it would only pay for 1/2 of a cheap funeral.

Another way to demonstrate inflation is The Inflation Calculator

A $500 graphics card in the year 2000 would cost $658.37 today. So again the price hasn't changed. The high end is always expensive. There will be lower tiers to match peoples price points. I personally wish the 780 was $550 as I would no doubt buy 2 but right now I don't want to.

Edit:
Here is a better inflation calculator...
Inflation Calculator - Bank of Canada

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."

Last edited by belgolas; May 25, 2013 at 04:53 PM.