Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 24, 2013, 09:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Pricing has been and will be always out of wack.
Some of the first more mainstream PC's that I remember went for 4K in the tech journals back then.
My 939 FX was an insane amount of capital.....7950 GX2 or even 9800GX2....3870 X2...things like that have always cost money.

See, people throw around a card form 10 years ago that was 350. And say "Hey, that wasn't too bad". However back then vs now currency that was still an expensive card, 10 years ago I and many that I know made half of what we do now, so that puts it into perspective.

Regardless, there will always be Tiers to all this. I could at one point throw what I wanted into it, but now, at 1080P my 650 TI boost cards have everything I need. And I was out of pocket...386.00.

That, is value to me.
Sure, it would be awesome to have on of these cards. But it all comes down to practical. Will I knock those who buy it? Nope. They will support the R&D that makes my Boost so special of a card for its price point.
I do admit that the gouging for the demand from all etailers is a bit distrubing. But beyond that, if you have the money. Do it.

BMW won't stop making BMW's and Kia won't stop making Kia's. Get what is within your means, and stop being so pissed off at those whom have means above yours.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 24, 2013, 09:12 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
I'm actually getting disgusted with the prices on NCIX for these cards. I mean not even 2 days and they have raised the prices. Just bugs me how if you bought them yesterday morning they were $659.99 now up to $689. Disgusting price gouging.
I've come to expect this from most retailers. I paid $90 over MSRP for one of my GTX680s last year because it was nearly impossible to get one for a while.
Old May 24, 2013, 10:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
I'm actually getting disgusted with the prices on NCIX for these cards. I mean not even 2 days and they have raised the prices. Just bugs me how if you bought them yesterday morning they were $659.99 now up to $689. Disgusting price gouging.
Its a little much alright, oh well, keep em honest pricematch Newegg. I think I'm #200 in the queue, I may even say fvck it and hang onto these 680's until Maxwell next year.....we'll see when I get the notifiction

Old May 24, 2013, 11:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'll say I'm tempted to upgrade my 680 to a 780 because I love the advantage of single card as SLI is great, but not perfect (did that route for a couple years) and the extra memory for triple monitor gaming... The price is something I like, but I expect massive sold out issues...
Old May 25, 2013, 02:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The price gouging is simply proof that there are many more people that do go for top end than some here claim... and is simply retailers pricing (as they always have and will do in a free market) to supply and demand.
Top end has always been expensive, for me the cost of a pc that will game has gon down by allot.
Consider the machine you would have needed to max out games at 1080 10 years ago? Now consider that now you just bump the GPU adding $300~ for a 2560x1440 res or triple screens...
Yes the top end costs but then it always has done, there is just less need now to go for the high end parts nevermind bleeding edge

10 years ago a top end PC would have cost? $3k?
Now you can build a 3570 / 3770 have SSD and a 780 for $2k.. Why are people still complaining? If you can't afford top end now you couldn't afford it 10 years ago (assuming wages / situation is the same)
And that doesn't take inflation into account in any-way whatsoever. Rising costs of energy, wages, transport, need I go on?

Stop complaining about top tier products being expensive.. They always have been and always will be..

For those saying that a second from the top tier card cost less 10 years ago.. well there is much larger selection now at different price and performance points..
Why would they cost the same when your looking at 4th in the tier now for the same relative performance? Ignore TITAN and 780 for a moment and think of 7970, 7950, 7870.. and how many more cards that are lower. not to mention those truely on a budget can game on IGP. (at lower res yes but I played L4D2 on 3570k igp without too much issues)

Really getting tired of the moaning..

For me I'm torn between jumping on a 780 and getting a second 670 as it will cost me about the same and after moving to 2560x1440, the single 670 struggles some
Old May 25, 2013, 04:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
7950 is the third best and costs $310 or so right now. Not that big of a difference. Classic nostalgia-itis maybe

LOL The 7950 is a pooch.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3 GB Review | techPowerUp

I count five NVIDIA based single GPU cards above it in the TechPowerup Performance Summary: 660Ti, 670,680,780, and Titan.
Old May 25, 2013, 06:59 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
The price gouging is simply proof that there are many more people that do go for top end than some here claim... and is simply retailers pricing (as they always have and will do in a free market) to supply and demand.
Top end has always been expensive, for me the cost of a pc that will game has gon down by allot.
Consider the machine you would have needed to max out games at 1080 10 years ago? Now consider that now you just bump the GPU adding $300~ for a 2560x1440 res or triple screens...
Yes the top end costs but then it always has done, there is just less need now to go for the high end parts nevermind bleeding edge

10 years ago a top end PC would have cost? $3k?
Now you can build a 3570 / 3770 have SSD and a 780 for $2k.. Why are people still complaining? If you can't afford top end now you couldn't afford it 10 years ago (assuming wages / situation is the same)
And that doesn't take inflation into account in any-way whatsoever. Rising costs of energy, wages, transport, need I go on?

Stop complaining about top tier products being expensive.. They always have been and always will be..

For those saying that a second from the top tier card cost less 10 years ago.. well there is much larger selection now at different price and performance points..
Why would they cost the same when your looking at 4th in the tier now for the same relative performance? Ignore TITAN and 780 for a moment and think of 7970, 7950, 7870.. and how many more cards that are lower. not to mention those truely on a budget can game on IGP. (at lower res yes but I played L4D2 on 3570k igp without too much issues)

Really getting tired of the moaning..

For me I'm torn between jumping on a 780 and getting a second 670 as it will cost me about the same and after moving to 2560x1440, the single 670 struggles some
well you are wrong sir 11 years ago i build a top tier pc for about 850

pentium4 3.2ghz 800fsb northwood
msi 865pe chipset fully loaded with everything you could think of sata firewire bluetooth the lot
1GB DDR 400 ram low latency
radeon 9700pro

at the time 9700pro was the fastest card around by a large margin
the pentium4 with HT was also faster than the athlon xp the only other choice was xeons
1GB ram was something like 16gb of today
and the chipset was the best at the time intel released the 875 later on if i remember correctly

tell me what can u get today with 850 count in inflation if you want that cant be more than 1100-1200 including 11 years of inflation.

also in america maybe your salaries have doubled in the last 10 years but not in the rest of the world.
the salaries have remained roughly the same

sure now there is more variety to choose from today but thats not the point. the point is that high end became more and more expensive over the years.

also there was great value cards back then. do u remember radeon 9500 pro? you could unlock this to a 9700.

also FX 5900xt you could voltmod this to get the clocks of the ultra.

also comparing different tiers of gpus with cars like bmw with kia is just stupid
the cost to make a kia and a bmw is so different even if you count in materials only.
a gpu is a parallel processor the only difference from lower tiers to higher is more blocks of the same thing be it cores memory controllers whatever.

Last edited by Aplytos; May 25, 2013 at 07:18 AM.
Old May 25, 2013, 07:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
also comparing different tiers of gpus with cars like bmw with kia is just stupid
the cost to make a kia and a bmw is so different even if you count in materials only.
a gpu is a parallel processor the only difference from lower tiers to higher is more blocks of the same thing be it cores memory controllers whatever.
As is typical with people on a tirade you missed the core of what was being said.
I wasn't comparing the two companies together. I was stating, one will make high end. One will make mainstream. They will always do that.
You get what is within your means. And deal with the facts that somethings are beyond that.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 25, 2013, 08:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The RealRollo View Post

LOL The 7950 is a pooch.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3 GB Review | techPowerUp

I count five NVIDIA based single GPU cards above it in the TechPowerup Performance Summary: 660Ti, 670,680,780, and Titan.
I was comparing AMD to AMD because he mentioned the 5850 No doubt there are several Nvidia cards that perform better.
Old May 25, 2013, 08:14 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have owned roughly 6 PC's since 1994, all of beginning with an Apple Macintosh Performa have been around $2500 - $3500 (think the Mac was $3200).
Obviously as I learned to build and "liked" better HW, the prices have gone up.

With that being said a Voodoo 3 Card (I believe) and 6800GT were very pricey way back when ($400 - $500 mark, as were RAM upgrades).

Yes. high end gear is pricey, but in general a Mac in 1994 was $3200, a decent high end Rig today about the same and in between. Remember, when I say "about the same", I mean everything, all peripherals and monitor.