Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 1, 2013, 07:09 AM
Rookie

If you're gonna wait for the GTX 780, why not wait for 7990?
Old May 1, 2013, 07:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wait and see what the pricing is like for the "Titan Lite". I doubt it'll knock your socks off. Frame time fix is coming soon, wait and see for that too.
EDIT: And last I checked, 2 7970's still beat a Titan. If frame time is your only issue, trust me that driver is worth waiting for. Sky himself said it made games go from jittery to buttery smooth.

Last edited by Sushi Warrior; May 1, 2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old May 1, 2013, 07:55 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
Wait and see what the pricing is like for the "Titan Lite". I doubt it'll knock your socks off. Frame time fix is coming soon, wait and see for that too.
EDIT: And last I checked, 2 7970's still beat a Titan. If frame time is your only issue, trust me that driver is worth waiting for. Sky himself said it made games go from jittery to buttery smooth.
The drivers are like pre-pre-alpha or something along those lines. Going to be a very long while before they come to light.
Old May 1, 2013, 08:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
The drivers are like pre-pre-alpha or something along those lines. Going to be a very long while before they come to light.
Much further along than pre-alpha. Still a month or two away though. More like early beta. Plus, I think multi-GPU stuttering is still a stats and numbers game right now and actual microstuttering isn't very noticeable buuuut, that's just my opinion. Fast cards with microstuttering should not be very noticeable unless they are giving bad fps. Nvidia has similar problems with SLI too.
Good article to read if you want to know how it works: AnandTech | AMD Comments on GPU Stuttering, Offers Driver Roadmap & Perspective on Benchmarking
Old May 1, 2013, 03:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
Much further along than pre-alpha. Still a month or two away though. More like early beta. Plus, I think multi-GPU stuttering is still a stats and numbers game right now and actual microstuttering isn't very noticeable buuuut, that's just my opinion. Fast cards with microstuttering should not be very noticeable unless they are giving bad fps. Nvidia has similar problems with SLI too.
Good article to read if you want to know how it works: AnandTech | AMD Comments on GPU Stuttering, Offers Driver Roadmap & Perspective on Benchmarking
Your post is misleading.

I just spent a few months with 7970 CF and still have 680 SLi. (and one 7970)

There is a big difference in how smooth AMD high end cards run games in Crossfire. Most major review sites are publishing this, my own experience corroborates this.

[H] and Tech Report have been reporting this for YEARS.

AMD has admitted the problem and is working to fix it.

No one should buy Crossfire anything till they do. (but AMD single cards are the best deal going with those bundles)
Old May 2, 2013, 10:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The RealRollo View Post
Your post is misleading.

I just spent a few months with 7970 CF and still have 680 SLi. (and one 7970)

There is a big difference in how smooth AMD high end cards run games in Crossfire. Most major review sites are publishing this, my own experience corroborates this.

[H] and Tech Report have been reporting this for YEARS.

AMD has admitted the problem and is working to fix it.

No one should buy Crossfire anything till they do. (but AMD single cards are the best deal going with those bundles)
I don't notice issues on Crossfire setups, so I can't agree unanimously. As the article stated, there is no level that anyone can agree on where microstutter is noticeable. It depends on the user. Certainly for you, crossfire the way it is now isn't working. But for others, it isn't necessarily the same. The reason why I personally dismiss it is I don't notice. I look at 7990's in CF or 7970Ghz's in CF and I simply see fast framerates and it looks smooth. Even if there is an inconsistent frame time, the frames are moving so fast I can't see the difference. I think double blind tests would prove a lot of people who claim it is the end of the world wrong.
Old May 2, 2013, 10:57 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I can see both sides of the issue. I dont think its a "OMFG what the hell is this crap!!" issue...but I personally do notice it. So for me I cant use XFire. It just annoys the ever living crap out of me. So for me personally I would say go for Titans or wait a bit and see what the next gen brings. BUT I would strongly recomend seeing an Xfire AND a SLI setup in use BEFORE going for either. Everyone is different. Ive known peeps who find no problems with Crossfire and think Im nuts....and I know peeps who are even more sensitive than I am!

Honestly, before plunking down coin for any multi-gpu setup...see it in action. The titans have a lot lower microstutter...but it would well and truly SUCK if you are the 1 in a 10,000+ that notice it and cant stand it!!

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 8, 2013, 01:51 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I am waiting for new cards to come out and make up my mind. I don't game atm due to concussion so when the GTX 780 comes out then you should compare that to Titans and 3x 7970. And also, sorry for not having the benchmarks will post them when I find them, the 3 x 7970 setup alleviates the stuttering and latency.
Old June 2, 2013, 05:08 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

TITAN! More vram, draws less power and sli > cfx.
Old June 4, 2013, 10:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero1 View Post
I am waiting for new cards to come out and make up my mind. I don't game atm due to concussion so when the GTX 780 comes out then you should compare that to Titans and 3x 7970. And also, sorry for not having the benchmarks will post them when I find them, the 3 x 7970 setup alleviates the stuttering and latency.
That frame metering driver:
A. May give variable results by game.
B. Won't do anything for the games where CFx doesn't scale at all. And these are old games too:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN SLI & Tri-SLI Review | techPowerUp

Quote:
AMD's HD 7970 GHz Edition CrossFire setup has its moments, but flunks far too many tests due to poor multi-GPU driver optimizations by AMD.
I like AMD single card a lot, especially bang for buck, but CFx should be avoided.