Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   dedicated Physx card (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/60925-dedicated-physx-card.html)

Daedalus2002 April 29, 2013 06:50 AM

dedicated Physx card

I bought a 7870 myst a few weeks ago and I'm mostly happy with it. Except for the Physx performance - I tried playing borderlands 2 again last night with it and with the Physx stuff turned up it was really choppy and stuttering.

I remember reading a while back that you can plug in a dedicated NVidia card for Physx:

1st question: Anyone know how to do this and get it to work?

2nd question: What's the best card I can use for this. I'm running a MSI P67A-GD65/2500K with a HX620 PS. I'm not overclocking anything, so when everything is going at max I'm using ~300W. I have a Zotac 560 ti 448 but that will eat about 200W if I stick it in. So I'm looking to get a lower powered (6xx series) card to use for this. Any suggestions?

-Ds

great_big_abyss April 29, 2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daedalus2002 (Post 706057)
I bought a 7870 myst a few weeks ago and I'm mostly happy with it. Except for the Physx performance - I tried playing borderlands 2 again last night with it and with the Physx stuff turned up it was really choppy and stuttering.

I remember reading a while back that you can plug in a dedicated NVidia card for Physx:

1st question: Anyone know how to do this and get it to work?

2nd question: What's the best card I can use for this. I'm running a MSI P67A-GD65/2500K with a HX620 PS. I'm not overclocking anything, so when everything is going at max I'm using ~300W. I have a Zotac 560 ti 448 but that will eat about 200W if I stick it in. So I'm looking to get a lower powered (6xx series) card to use for this. Any suggestions?

-Ds

That 560Ti 448 shouldn't eat that much power. If all it's doing is processing PhysX applications, then it will never run at 100%.

Good Luck getting all the drivers to play nice together. Should be fun!

KaptCrunch April 29, 2013 08:13 AM

can look here for ati /physX not sure of using an older ati card (non-cross fired) can dedicated like Nvidia does

clshades April 29, 2013 05:35 PM

I tried using an ATI card along with a dedicated NVidia card for PhysX. While it works for the most part other things start to screw up. Parts of the CCC software for the ATI card don't work correctly and it's insanely annoying. Overclocking the video card doesn't work exactly how you want it either. In fact I couldn't overclock either video card at all... it would OC in windows and shit the bed in games. I would highly suggest NOT combining the two different cards as you run into driver and software conflicts that will drive you crazy. Trust me on that one.

They are technically supposed to work together but it won't work well enough to justify. If you are serious about wanting dedicated PhysX I'd suggest changing over to Nvidia completely.

You are welcome to try it for yourself of course but I found the annoyance not worth the effort or the money.

Daedalus2002 May 1, 2013 08:36 AM

I think i'll just dismiss this as a bad idea all around. I played BL2 again with no physx and it didnt look **Bad**

I was tempted to try it out on my basement game box just to see if i can get it to work before the summer heat kicks in but haven't gotten around to it as yet.