Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 27, 2013, 12:53 AM
Rookie

Default New 7870 OC, No POST

Hi all, I have a new gigabyte 7870 OC to upgrade from xfx 5830. My motherboard is an MSI P67A-GD65 B3, and 2500K cpu. All are at default values, no oc.

The problem is that when I start the system with the 7870, I get no signal to the monitor, on HDMI or analog. Tried older monitor, DVI and same thing. Both monitor LEDs blink, where solid indicates signal.
Trouble shooting thus far is, tried 2nd PCIe slot, updated bios, bought new power supply, tried all PCIe leads and combinations thereof, RMAed first card, Second one same thing as first.

I get no HDD activity at all when powered on with 7870 installed, system fans as well s card fans all spin up, but that is the only signs of life.

Thanks in advance for any help, or suggestions, todd
Old April 27, 2013, 02:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Last time I saw such an issue it was because the motherboard was too old for the card and wouldn't detect it. Possibly worth flashing your BIOS to the latest if it isn't already (not that a P67 board should have an issue)

Other thing is, are you giving it enough time? some cards take their sweet ass time before sending a signal.
Have you checked the settings in your BIOS for init display? have you tried all the DVI ports?

It really does sound like it's stopping your system from posting.

Have you got a speaker attached to your motherboard for post beeps? If there was some sort of code we could work from there.
Old April 27, 2013, 02:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Pull the batt and do a CMOS reset

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old April 27, 2013, 03:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

Toddpaw make system work so you can load msi live to update bios for I see a fix in last version

you have your motherboard disk to load MSI Live Update 5 or link

also check chipset ,audio
Old April 27, 2013, 04:28 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Last time I saw such an issue it was because the motherboard was too old for the card and wouldn't detect it. Possibly worth flashing your BIOS to the latest if it isn't already (not that a P67 board should have an issue)

Other thing is, are you giving it enough time? some cards take their sweet ass time before sending a signal.
Have you checked the settings in your BIOS for init display? have you tried all the DVI ports?

It really does sound like it's stopping your system from posting.

Have you got a speaker attached to your motherboard for post beeps? If there was some sort of code we could work from there.
Thanks for the reply, I had given up for today, 4am now when saw posts. I updated my bios, last week to newest (v1.19) for Sandybridge CPUs, any updates past this one are intended for IVY. The one I did had vga updates within. No changes.

I have let it run long enough, no HDD led activity at all, and if system did pass bios, I would gotten "windows did not shut down...." after shut down via PSU.

Speaker, Great idea, found an old HP in the closet with one, it doesn't anymore. The only beeps I get are when I disconnected the power from the card and booted. Nothing with card in.

As well, I cleared cmos with new card in and booted, no changes, no display. Reinstalled old card, to configure cmos.

Thanks much guys, any other thoughts are appreciated
todd
Old April 27, 2013, 06:50 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

If you re-install the old 5830, does the computer POST?
Old April 27, 2013, 07:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddpaw View Post
Thanks for the reply, I had given up for today, 4am now when saw posts. I updated my bios, last week to newest (v1.19) for Sandybridge CPUs, any updates past this one are intended for IVY. The one I did had vga updates within. No changes.

Thanks much guys, any other thoughts are appreciated
todd
SURE YOU GOT CORRECT BIOS FOR YOUR MB SAYS 4.3

USE A USB STICK
Attached Images

Old April 27, 2013, 04:43 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
If you re-install the old 5830, does the computer POST?
Yes, I am using it now.
Old April 27, 2013, 04:46 PM
Rookie

As to the 4.x versions of MSI bios, I have been advised @ MSI forum not to update to these versions, UNLESS I have Ivy CPU installed. I have 2500k, Sandybridge.
Old April 27, 2013, 11:30 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

I had the same problem 2 weeks ago when I upgraded to the 7870 myst edition. Same mobo and cpu and it wouldn't post till i updated the bios. I updated to the latest (and ignored warning about ivy bridge - use at your own risk!)

You have to use a USB key to do the upgrade. Download and copy to a usb key and run within windows; it'll reboot automatically and apply it. Took ~5 mins for me to completely finish, card worked after. The issue is that the 7870 XT uses an UEFI bios and your motherboard doesnt recognize it unless you're running the latest bios update.

Tags
video cards