Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 27, 2013, 10:43 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus2002 View Post
I had the same problem 2 weeks ago when I upgraded to the 7870 myst edition. Same mobo and cpu and it wouldn't post till i updated the bios. I updated to the latest (and ignored warning about ivy bridge - use at your own risk!)

You have to use a USB key to do the upgrade. Download and copy to a usb key and run within windows; it'll reboot automatically and apply it. Took ~5 mins for me to completely finish, card worked after. The issue is that the 7870 XT uses an UEFI bios and your motherboard doesnt recognize it unless you're running the latest bios update.
I asked this at MSI forum, and because I was trying an install of a Gigabyte card, referred to by them as "brand x", they said they could not help me. They did say bios update over ver 1.19 was not advised.

Which ver have you upgraded to? I will try it, but if you can give me heads up on any problems after flash I'd appreciate.
Thanks, todd
Old April 28, 2013, 05:14 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddpaw View Post
I asked this at MSI forum, and because I was trying an install of a Gigabyte card, referred to by them as "brand x", they said they could not help me. They did say bios update over ver 1.19 was not advised.

Which ver have you upgraded to? I will try it, but if you can give me heads up on any problems after flash I'd appreciate.
Thanks, todd
Quote:
You have to use a USB key to do the upgrade. Download and copy to a usb key and run within windows; it'll reboot automatically and apply it. Took ~5 mins for me to completely finish, card worked after. The issue is that the 7870 XT uses an UEFI bios and your motherboard doesn't recognize it unless you're running the latest bios update.
the usb key is for DOS and stik is of FAT 32 format do not update in windows

cold boot hit DEL then F11 to get in then go to Mflash and point to usb
Attached Images

Last edited by KaptCrunch; April 28, 2013 at 05:33 AM.
Old April 28, 2013, 07:32 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

first off i'm using Ver E7681IMS V4.3 (which is the latest on MSI's site). On there it clearly says:

"Users who download BIOS from here (not using Live Update) should use the flash utility included in the downloaded compressed file when doing the BIOS update. To avoid BIOS update failure, please do not use older versions of the update utility or utilities not provided by MSI."

which I interpreted to run the exe file directly. In any case yes, you can use the bios tools to do the flash, but then the exe file they provided might not be readable by the current bios. Also it looks like a win32 exe so may not be readable in DOS.

Problems: Make a note of all your current bios settings. The flash resets everything to default so you need to reconfigure your settings before you can boot. For me that was mostly boot devices and order, XMP profiles and AHCI settings. Hope this helps!

Tags
video cards