Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 25, 2013, 11:14 AM
Rookie

Default Planning on upgrading to 2560 resolution...thoughts?

So my current PC is playing games just fine, but I'm getting the itch. I'm thinking of building a new PC from scratch, with the added intent of moving up to either a 27" or 30" monitor at the same time. Do you think building a new PC once Haswell comes about (and probably the 700 series of video cards), or do you think I should hold off until 2014 when both Nvidia and AMD supposedly move to new architectures and we have a better idea of what the next generation of games requires? I know the intent of "futureproofing" is a fool's game but I also don't want to kick myself later.
Old April 25, 2013, 11:19 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuddles View Post
So my current PC is playing games just fine, but I'm getting the itch. I'm thinking of building a new PC from scratch, with the added intent of moving up to either a 27" or 30" monitor at the same time. Do you think building a new PC once Haswell comes about (and probably the 700 series of video cards), or do you think I should hold off until 2014 when both Nvidia and AMD supposedly move to new architectures and we have a better idea of what the next generation of games requires? I know the intent of "futureproofing" is a fool's game but I also don't want to kick myself later.
Honestly if you have the $$ right now. Wait till Haswell, grab the best you can at that point and a 690. That way your transition to the higher res will be perfect. Always waiting means at the end of the day you have nothing.
Since both AMD and NVidia won't have new architectures out till late late its best to invest the $$ now IMO on the best you can buy. And Kepler is no slouch either.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 25, 2013, 03:18 PM
F@H

My System Specs

There's a Titan on sale here for $799, although used, that would be a perfect card to get.
Old April 26, 2013, 05:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

799 for a Titan is an awesome price (even second hand). Infact I'm going to have a look myself right now.. :P
/edit, can't find it.. link?

What are you running on at the moment?
I bumped to a U2713HM recently with my 1080 screen on the side and my 670 JUST about cuts it with a heavy OC (though I don't have some of the "latest and greatest" games)

One thing I have noticed of late is that monitors (especially IPS) are dropping in price at quite a rate..
If you can live with your current set-up till the 700 series is out then I would go all in at that point and get new pc (or just GPU) and monitor at that point.
Very little reason beyond power, heat and TRIM support to upgrade if you have any i7(thinking 920) or newer chip.

Last edited by Dzzope; April 26, 2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old April 26, 2013, 07:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Gone now, vanished actually. I swear it was here though!

My GTX690 pulls off 1440p perfectly fine. Only game that had issues was Hitman Absolution, but I didn't really want to play that anyhow. I think it's just a poorly coded game.
Old April 27, 2013, 07:29 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
What are you running on at the moment?
I bumped to a U2713HM recently with my 1080 screen on the side and my 670 JUST about cuts it with a heavy OC (though I don't have some of the "latest and greatest" games)

One thing I have noticed of late is that monitors (especially IPS) are dropping in price at quite a rate..
If you can live with your current set-up till the 700 series is out then I would go all in at that point and get new pc (or just GPU) and monitor at that point.
Very little reason beyond power, heat and TRIM support to upgrade if you have any i7(thinking 920) or newer chip.
I've currently got a GTX 670 as well and currently still actually have my i7-920 going. My current guess is 2 GB of video card ram is going to be insufficient in the near future, as the only thing that held it back for so long was the limited amount of video memory on current consoles, which looks to not be an issue for them coming up. I guess I'm just torn on getting something like the rumoured GTX 780 next month or just grinning and bearing it until the 800-series of whatever in 2014 tat should be a far more significant upgrade.

As for the processor, aside from the noise and heat and just my desire to build a new PC, I'm worried it's going to start becoming a bottleneck pretty soon, especially if I consider an SLI setup. It's been pretty reliable but also a dud when it comes to overclocking (I had to turn the voltage ridiculously high just to get it stable at 3.4).
Old April 27, 2013, 10:14 AM
Hall Of Fame

another point is get the best cpu available now, for if cheap out it gonna cost a lot more then wanting to upgrade cpu
Old April 27, 2013, 04:39 PM
Banned

Upgrade to 2560 X 1600. It is the most important upgrade you can make to your pc, by far.

Fills your field of vision, no bezels to deal with. What you look at is arguably the most important component of your pc, it's where you should spend the money.
Old April 27, 2013, 04:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Which games are you looking to play? I'll try them out and let you know what I'm getting as we have very similar set-ups..

Personally I would wait on haswell and an 800 series to be out a few months so as to not get caught out by any bugs they find after shipping (see p67 for example)
Have to say that the screen you will not be disappointed in, and the 670 will run it OK but I'm guessing like me you find it pointless in having a high res screen without being able to max the settings.
Bearing that in mind I'm willing to hold off till the 800 series as gaming is only a portion of my pc time and I'm not one for playing all the latest games either.
The screen will make a huge difference to any work you may do with your pc, or even just for browsing / chat etc..

If the upgrade bug is too big , Grab a haswell setup when you can and drop in a 780.. Should have no issues driving that res then and it shouldn't be too far away either.

Personally I wouldn't invest in outgoing tech, even if the differences are negligible.
Old April 27, 2013, 08:36 PM
Banned

You don't need to "max the settings" when you have high res, because part of what you're trying to overcome with AA is the jaggedness caused by not having enough pixels per inch.

DPI Calculator / PPI Calculator

Check out the 81PPI on a 1920X1080 27" gaming monitor. Now make that 2560 X 1440 on the same 27" and you get 108 pixels per inch, a full 33% higher pixels per inch. This makes a huge difference in image sharpness, and you don't need pixel averaging/blurring tricks like MSAA as badly as you do with grainy 1080P gaming monitors.