Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 23, 2013, 09:51 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default AMD HD 7990 Review Comment Thread

AMD's HD 7990 has been rumored for more than a year but now it's finally here. With it, we get a pair of Tahiti XT cores, 6GB of memory and an insanely quiet heatsink all wrapped into a $999 card that's supposed to go head to head against NVIDIA's GTX 690.

Read more here: AMD HD 7990 Review; Malta Arrives

Last edited by SKYMTL; April 23, 2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old April 23, 2013, 10:20 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Thumbs up Great Review

Thanks for being brutally honest about this card. 1K for a card with stutter issues? I agree AMD would have been better off delaying the release. Future driver development could make it what it should have been for the initial release. Time will tell. Anyone considering upgrading to a ultra high performance GPU should seriously look at Nvidia at this point in time. A great unbiased review! Thanks that is what I love about HardwareCanucks!!
Old April 23, 2013, 10:48 PM

My System Specs

Very curious to see more about the frame pacing drivers.
Old April 23, 2013, 11:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Oh noes! AMD is going to actually do some proper coding now if it wants to compete!? Sky, would it be possible to lock the frames at 30 or 60 and see what happens in the latency department? I know that when I ran FC2 back in the day I had to cap the frames to 30 to illuminate the stutter on a single 4890. Maybe two different issues though, I'm not sure.
Old April 23, 2013, 11:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Am I ever impressed with the hard work you put into the FCAT and stuttering analysis!!! After reading the article on Anandtech about why they won't use FRAPS for frametimes, I really feel like you guys NAILED this on the head in an amazing manner!

I really appreciate the many hours of extra work you put into providing us with the quality control on GPU reviews to differentiate between on paper performance and real world experience.

As a side note, I'm a little torn on pushing all 8 games as a great value adder (rather than just saying them offer them) to tip the scales. People who buy this card with most likely have bought many of these games or simply not want to play them. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if people got value from at least 2 of 8 titles and possibly just "sold" the keys to make some cold hard cash.
Old April 23, 2013, 11:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

So much red... So many spikes...

That alpha driver lays on a thick layer of hope though.

Last edited by YukonTrooper; April 23, 2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old April 23, 2013, 11:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Just saw the Frame Pacing Driver. Looks promising. But it also looks to be 10 years past due.
Quote:
AMD isn’t anywhere close to releasing this driver to the public
Old April 24, 2013, 06:02 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
Oh noes! AMD is going to actually do some proper coding now if it wants to compete!? Sky, would it be possible to lock the frames at 30 or 60 and see what happens in the latency department? I know that when I ran FC2 back in the day I had to cap the frames to 30 to illuminate the stutter on a single 4890. Maybe two different issues though, I'm not sure.
The issue with capping framerates with VSync is that it introduces lag. NVIDIA has a work-around with their adaptive V-Sync feature but AMD doesn't unless you grab secondary software.
Old April 24, 2013, 06:17 AM
MVP

Id be interested to see what kind of hash rates this card gets for litecoin mining. Doesn't seem to be much info on it yet.
Old April 24, 2013, 06:33 AM
Allstar

With Sky on why now? should have up'ed the clock speeds to Ghz speeds as well. Kind of hard to swallow a card when stock speeds lag behind. These will be low production so some special binning should be possible for better speeds. I was hoping it would be better so I could clear up some space in my case but meh.