Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 22, 2013, 10:13 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Nvidia vs AMD

im trying to figure out who offers overall the best features. like PhysX, AMD ZeroCore Power technology . it features like these im trying to help me decide who i will buy from for my next upgrade. i like the clock speeds and bandwidth of AMD, I have been using Nvidia since my first rig to this one. any advice, articles or tips would be much appreciated
Old April 23, 2013, 03:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

IMO none of their marketing catch phrases really matter. Each company has small advantages in small areas, but neither is going to be a night and day difference. Unless you know there is a feature supported by one brand that you require, I would purchase solely on bang for buck. The only marketing going on that would actually influence me is the free games bundled. If there are bundled games that you would be buying anyway, then you could bring that into play for the purchase decision.

Also the faster clock speed/bandwidth doesn't necessarily translate into better performance (they are completely different architectures).

Here is a good performance summary chart. I would use it, price, and possible game bundles to make a bang for buck decision.

Old April 23, 2013, 02:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If you have a 590 there is no reason to upgrade, especially as it's under water.. The only reason to is for power consumption and not having to deal with SLI a 680 / 7970 will near match it..

That said unless your having issues with either of the above I really wouldn't bother unless you can afford and justify a Titan... 20% ish more bang and on a single chip. Though with the obvious cost to weigh-up.
Personally I would wait and see what the next gen brings (am thinking titan level of performance for around the $500 - $600 mark within a year-ish.)