Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 18, 2013, 06:08 PM
MVP

Default Enlighten Me

So I recently popped a 4670 in my system that I had traded for for another machine without realizing it didnt have hdmi, no biggie. I put in my machine with my 6870 for bitcoin mining just for a few extra hashes. I notice now that I am mining that I can still watch Netflix HD on my main screen without lag. My main screen is connected to my 6870. While mining I get an extra 60 Mhash/s with the 4670 in there.

What I would like to know is how the work is being shared amoungst the cards. Is my 6870 being utilized by the mining and my desktop/netflix using the 4670 even though its on a different monitor? Just trying to wrap my head around it.

Last edited by igot6strings; April 18, 2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old April 18, 2013, 06:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

its called ATI Stream technology is a set of advanced hardware and software technologies that enable AMD graphics processors (GPU), working in concert with the system's central processor (CPU), to accelerate many applications beyond just graphics. This enables better balanced platforms capable of running demanding computing tasks faster than ever.
Along with leading third party industry partners and academic institutions worldwide, AMD is building a complete ATI Stream computing ecosystem, one that delivers the performance, applications, software and tools necessary to turn AMD's low-cost application acceleration vision into reality.
Major Benfit:
1. Accelerate the conversion of standard and HD video into multiple formats
2. Enable advanced video processing that takes standard definition content to near-HD quality.
Old April 18, 2013, 06:40 PM
MVP

Wow. Thanks Kapt.