Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 10, 2013, 12:06 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Post GPU headache

Hey guys.

How's it going? I hope all is well. I have a dilemma here. I am looking to purchase a new GPU. I had 7970 in CF and they were nightmare after they stopped linking to each other and artifacting. So I stepped it up to the Titan but I just couldn't justify the price/performance. Now I don't have a card as I took back the DC2T due to the size that will probably limit me going 3-way SLI in September/October. So I was wondering whether to grab the Titan and SLI it (again the price/performance is crazy but I did get awesome frames no less than 55FPS on all games on Ultra settings with 2560x1440p). So I either get 2 of the following asap since the prices are going to go up (people think it will be just the lower end cards that use ddr3 but I have been told by a store manager that all cards will go up and not only due to ddr3 prices but because both Nvidia and AMD not releasing anything until Q1 2014).

My choices: 2 of each (I would love to have kept the DC2T and continue the red/black theme in my PC with ASUS parts)

EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC SIGNATURE+ 1084MHZ 2048MB 6208MHZ GDDR5 SLI DVI DP PCI-E DX11 Video Card

EVGA GeForce GTX 680 FTW 1110MHZ 4GB 6.0GHZ GDDR5 SLI 2xDVI HDMI DP HDCP PCI-E DirectX 11 Video Card

EVGA GeForce GTX 680 FTW LE 1006MHZ 2GB 6.2GHZ GDDR5 SLI 2xDVI HDMI DP PCI-E DirectX 11 Video Card

MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr III OC 1058MHZ 2GB GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DP PCI-E DirectX 11 Video Card

ASUS GeForce GTX 680 DirectCU II 1006MHZ 4GB GDDR5 6GHZ 2xDVI HDMI DP PCI-E 3.0 Video Card

The reason I have so many eVGA cards is that I would like the cards to send the heat out of the case and not into the case and elevate the CPU temperature since I have aircooler now as opposed to H80i.

Thanks in advance and all inputs are appreciated.

Cheers
Hero1
Old April 10, 2013, 12:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

In my opinion,and if you can afford it,go for Titan SLI. Nothing available is better,or faster.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old April 10, 2013, 12:39 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
In my opinion,and if you can afford it,go for Titan SLI. Nothing available is better,or faster.
Not true. If money isn't an issue Twin 690's would more than likely take out SLI Titan.
Microstutter not-withstanding.

:)

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 10, 2013, 01:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Not true. If money isn't an issue Twin 690's would more than likely take out SLI Titan.
Microstutter not-withstanding.

:)

-ST
Maybe so,but the Titans are less likely to have driver issues,and as you said,micro stutter notwithstanding.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old April 10, 2013, 01:30 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Here we go again hmmm 690's.....
Old April 10, 2013, 02:16 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Tough decision indeed. I was blown away by the Titan. I am wondering if it's better to just get the GTX 680s and SLI them now and add another later when I step up to the LGA 2011. I am looking to get rid of my ASUS Maximus V Formula along with the CPU which is 3570K. The last time I had the Titan on this platform it was great but having that in SLI with LGA 1155 is not a good thing, tons of bottleneck.
Old April 10, 2013, 02:17 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Maybe so,but the Titans are less likely to have driver issues,and as you said,micro stutter notwithstanding.
Are you seeing any bottleneck on your setup because if you are not then I guess I might as well just upgrade the CPU and then grab another Titan. What do you think?
Old April 10, 2013, 02:32 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Maybe I should wait for a week or so and see whether we have the benchmarks for the real 7990 from AMD. Here's an article showing them in CF courtesy of TH: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Mal...reX,21931.html I got say, very tempting if they can price them lower than the GTX 690 and GTX Titan and have similar power draw and heat to the GTX 690 but time will tell.
Old April 10, 2013, 02:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero1 View Post
Are you seeing any bottleneck on your setup because if you are not then I guess I might as well just upgrade the CPU and then grab another Titan. What do you think?
No bottleneck with my config. No issues at all. Right now,my rig is running so smoothly, it's scary. Everything is stock,except my cpu at 4.2ghz. No need to go any higher. I have no problem recommending a similar set up.
Old April 10, 2013, 02:48 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
No bottleneck with my config. No issues at all. Right now,my rig is running so smoothly, it's scary. Everything is stock,except my cpu at 4.2ghz. No need to go any higher. I have no problem recommending a similar set up.
That's good to hear. I do programming on the side so I need the hexacores but I was dumb enough to grab the 3570K. I hope I get just get rid of my current setup: the motherboard, CPU and RAM and go to the 2011 platform.

And I think I will either end up with GTX Titan in SLI or simply the GTX 680s in 3-way SLI.