Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 10, 2013, 04:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Just a heads-up, why dump $2400 on 2 Titans when half that cost will get you the same Max fluid gameplay with a couple of 680 4GB Cards...honestly, your throwing $1200 down the drain unless your planning more than one 2560 x 1440 monitor.
I just went from SLi 580 Classy Cards which were a "notch" below max settings in all DX11 Titles @ 2560 x 1440.....triple the Shaders by going to Kepler and your golden for $1200... :)

Old April 10, 2013, 05:35 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Just a heads-up, why dump $2400 on 2 Titans when half that cost will get you the same Max fluid gameplay with a couple of 680 4GB Cards...honestly, your throwing $1200 down the drain unless your planning more than one 2560 x 1440 monitor.
I just went from SLi 580 Classy Cards which were a "notch" below max settings in all DX11 Titles @ 2560 x 1440.....triple the Shaders by going to Kepler and your golden for $1200... :)
Interesting take on that. I was thinking about the 4GB models. I'll take time and think about it. Thanks guys for your inputs.
Old April 10, 2013, 05:44 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

So out of those cards up there, which one do you guys think I should go for? I really like the DC2T but the heat in the case will absolutely kill my so far great CPU temps idling at 24 while running @ 4.4 GHz.
Old April 10, 2013, 09:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Go with the Evga FTW 4GB Cards.....I was lucky enough to get the 680 Classifieds on a sale Pricematch price of $569 each. I did have the FTW's ordered but when I saw the Classys at that price I was able to get NCIX to swap em for me before they shipped. The Classified cards run extremely cool due to the 80mm Fan.
Honestly, @ 2560 x 1440 Res your going to wonder why you would even consider getting "more" than a couple of those cards. I found with my 580's in SLi I actually turned on Vertical Synch to knock down frames from 80 / 90 FPS to 60FPS, and no stuttering or hitching whatsoever, perfect fluid gameplay. The 680's will allow setting all MSAA etc to full.

Old April 10, 2013, 10:25 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Go with the Evga FTW 4GB Cards.....I was lucky enough to get the 680 Classifieds on a sale Pricematch price of $569 each. I did have the FTW's ordered but when I saw the Classys at that price I was able to get NCIX to swap em for me before they shipped. The Classified cards run extremely cool due to the 80mm Fan.
Honestly, @ 2560 x 1440 Res your going to wonder why you would even consider getting "more" than a couple of those cards. I found with my 580's in SLi I actually turned on Vertical Synch to knock down frames from 80 / 90 FPS to 60FPS, and no stuttering or hitching whatsoever, perfect fluid gameplay. The 680's will allow setting all MSAA etc to full.
Good point. I will stick with the GTX 680 on SLI. This should save me more money for later upgrade to Ivy Bridge-E/Haswell-E architecture. I will go with the eVGA GTX 680 FTW 4GB cards. I was considering CF with Vapor-X but again, I don't want heat blown into my case and raise the CPU temps!
Old April 10, 2013, 10:39 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I just checked the stock and neither NCIX or CC have them but CC have a shorter availability time compared to NCIX. Lucky me, I just found them instock at DC so I am ordering them and they are selling for $608 before tax. Woot woot and they are the EVbot version so yeah yeah

I just realised that Canada Computers has the FTW+ LE 4GB, so cancel my other order and goingto grab it now. Thanks for the inputs guys.

Last edited by hero1; April 11, 2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old April 11, 2013, 03:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero1 View Post
Good point. I will stick with the GTX 680 on SLI. This should save me more money for later upgrade to Ivy Bridge-E/Haswell-E architecture. I will go with the eVGA GTX 680 FTW 4GB cards. I was considering CF with Vapor-X but again, I don't want heat blown into my case and raise the CPU temps!
Good choice, there you just put $1200 in your jeans for a new platform, in a yrs time when Maxwell Nvidia cards make there debut you sell your 680's, recoup 50% and invest in new ...win win

Old April 11, 2013, 03:25 PM
MVP

Quote:
How's it going?
Good,thanks,appears your having good month

Quote:
So I either get 2 of the following asap since the prices are going to go up (people think it will be just the lower end cards that use ddr3 but I have been told by a store manager that all cards will go up and not only due to ddr3 prices but because both Nvidia and AMD not releasing anything until Q1 2014)
If money is no obstacle then what swilson said.No need to worry about rapid depreciation,any of those will resale for top dollar.You'll certainly have spare frame rates you'll never access.
Old April 11, 2013, 06:55 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Good choice, there you just put $1200 in your jeans for a new platform, in a yrs time when Maxwell Nvidia cards make there debut you sell your 680's, recoup 50% and invest in new ...win win
This. I was thinking about that too. Woohoo!
Old April 11, 2013, 06:57 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Good,thanks,appears your having good month

If money is no obstacle then what swilson said.No need to worry about rapid depreciation,any of those will resale for top dollar.You'll certainly have spare frame rates you'll never access.
Good month indeed. I will stick with 2x GTX 680 FTW+ LE and upgrade the mobo and CPU in October when the IB-E/Haswell-E comes out. Saved me enough to buy RAM,CPU and Mobo.