Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   Sapphire HD6950 making clicking noise (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/60453-sapphire-hd6950-making-clicking-noise.html)

Tech686239 March 29, 2013 06:23 PM

Sapphire HD6950 making clicking noise
 
Hello HWC,

My video card seems to be making a weird clicking noise. I took it out and blew out all the dust. I put it back in and it still seems to be making the noise. My next guess is that a fan is dying. I checked it while it was running and it looks to be fine. I also check to make sure there were no wires that the blades might be hitting. Everything looks good.

any ideas?

Thanks!
Tech

YukonTrooper March 29, 2013 06:34 PM

Well, if it's indeed a clicking noise and you're sure it's coming from the video card then it has to be the fan; it's the only moving mechanical part.

Stop the fan with your finger while it's running and you'll know right away.

Tech686239 March 29, 2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YukonTrooper (Post 699598)
Well, if it's indeed a clicking noise and you're sure it's coming from the video card then it has to be the fan; it's the only moving mechanical part.

Stop the fan with you're finger while it's running and you'll know right away.

Yea, I am pretty comfortable that it's the video card. I removed it from the PC and the noise stopped.

I am thinking about an aftermarket cooler maybe. Not sure tho

Bond007 March 29, 2013 06:45 PM

Is it actually making contact with plastic causin the clicking, or some other noise?

Tech686239 March 29, 2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bond007 (Post 699601)
Is it actually making contact with plastic causin the clicking, or some other noise?

I can't see it hitting anything... I think the fan is just failing

Tech686239 March 30, 2013 06:26 AM

Anybody know of a good aftermarket cooler that i could put on this card?

NSdeadly1 March 30, 2013 09:57 AM

Check these out VGA Cooling ARCTIC I also found it very interesting they have them listed as compatible with the HD 8XXX series.

YukonTrooper March 30, 2013 10:32 AM

You'll be spending about $50 before taxes and shipping for a new heat sink. Considering it's an older card, it might make more financial sense to sell the card and buy a newer one.

You could also put up a "looking for" ad in the trading forum. Someone might have a stock heat-sink kicking around.

Tech686239 March 30, 2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YukonTrooper (Post 699689)
You'll be spending about $50 before taxes and shipping for a new heat sink. Considering it's an older card, it might make more financial sense to sell the card and buy a newer one.

You could also put up a "looking for" ad in the trading forum. Someone might have a stock heat-sink kicking around.

Yea i have considered buying a new card. Not really sure what to get and don't really want to spend a ton of money.

Tech686239 March 30, 2013 05:07 PM

The 650 Ti would be a downgrade from the 6950 eh?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:43 AM.