Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 26, 2013, 05:57 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default NVIDIA GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB Review Comment Thread

NVIDIA's new GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB is a card which has the potential to shake up the graphics card market. It is supposed to outperform a HD 7850 2GB while costing just $169 and is being released at the same time NVIDIA is dropping the price on many other GeForce cards. This represents the first phase in what will be an all-out assault on AMD's position over the next few months.

Read more here: NVIDIA GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB Review
Old March 26, 2013, 06:16 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'd be very curious, price-wise, on how a set of these in SLI would stack against a 300+$ card like a GTX670.

This is almost making me reconsider trying to SLI my 560/448c and grab one of those for now.
Old March 26, 2013, 06:36 AM
F@H

My System Specs

That's one interesting card for sure. Really like the numbers and costs.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 26, 2013, 06:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyllz View Post
I'd be very curious, price-wise, on how a set of these in SLI would stack against a 300+$ card like a GTX670.

This is almost making me reconsider trying to SLI my 560/448c and grab one of those for now.
Depending on the game, they can scale real well or not.

I just traded my 680 for a pair of SLI 660's. In BF3, which is the game I play 90% of the time, I should see frame rate increases of up to 50%. We'll see if microstuttering is an issue. It very well may be, but I've never had an SLI/Crossfire setup, so I have no idea if it will affect me.

But, your question is a valid one. GTX660's cost about $220-$240. A 680 is usually around $480-$520. So, for less than the cost of a 680, you could potentially get more performance out of 2x cheaper 660's.

SLI and driver issues notwithstanding, of course. That is a huge downside that must be taken into consideration.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;

Last edited by great_big_abyss; March 26, 2013 at 06:57 AM.
Old March 26, 2013, 07:15 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
Depending on the game, they can scale real well or not.

I just traded my 680 for a pair of SLI 660's. In BF3, which is the game I play 90% of the time, I should see frame rate increases of up to 50%. We'll see if microstuttering is an issue. It very well may be, but I've never had an SLI/Crossfire setup, so I have no idea if it will affect me.

But, your question is a valid one. GTX660's cost about $220-$240. A 680 is usually around $480-$520. So, for less than the cost of a 680, you could potentially get more performance out of 2x cheaper 660's.

SLI and driver issues notwithstanding, of course. That is a huge downside that must be taken into consideration.
Yeah that's really what it comes down to. I felt that in the biggest way with World of Tanks to be honest. They did a massive revamp on their game engine....and since then SLI does not work, so a game that back in the day I sustained 60-70 maxed FPS I get 30 max in the cities ( though more in the fields, less clutter).

But, besides that...those 460's lasted me how long? 2+ years of Perfect performance without stutter, without major glitches.

And they have long since found a new home without fail. Sometimes you can get lucky. At 1080P on a budget I can see two of these cards doing great. I don't think the regular TI 650 had SLI did it?

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 26, 2013, 11:19 AM

My System Specs

Ordered one for the HTPC. Hopefully should fold well under water.
Old March 26, 2013, 11:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

How would this card fare against say a 560ti?

Apparently people are saying the 650ti doesn't have the bandwith to properly utilize the 2gb
Old March 26, 2013, 11:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Ordered one for the HTPC. Hopefully should fold well under water.
I would love to order one for the HTPC, and fold on it, but I have one problem.

Nvidia cards have a history of being 'laggy' when folding upon them. I suppose this is because they get 100% utilised, so that even basic tasks like opening folders and watching media becomes impossible. This isn't a problem on my main rig, as I am the only person who uses it regularly, so I can stop folding when I use my rig, and remember to start it up again when I'm done.

I wouldn't want to put that responsibility on a) my {relatively} computer illiterate wife, and b) my ADHD affected stepson. Having a card that would tempt me to fold either wouldn't be fair to them as they would then have to put up with a sub-par performing media experience when I'm not home, or FAH would be constantly forgotten and the card would sit idle.

Now, I'm not sure what the implications are with the new work units that don't fully utilize Kepler cores. In my experience, the GTX680 would be laggy on some WU's, and would perform fluidly on other WU's. What's more, V7 is now changed, with a sliding scale to assign importance to FAH. No idea what the implication behind that is, or how it works.

I guess my point is, the HTPC being a family machine, I can't justify putting a folding-worthy card in it and compromising the overall experience.

Edit: I just answered my own concerns and questions about the power slider bar in V7.3.6. You can set it to fold on 'screensaver'. I.e. when you computer is idle enough to activate the screensaver, the GPU will start to fold, then automatically pause when the computer is used. This seems like the perfect application for a family-used HTPC.

Folding Forum ? View topic - FAHClient V7.3.6 released

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;

Last edited by great_big_abyss; March 26, 2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old March 26, 2013, 12:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Neat little card, I know the SLI will be nice for a lot of people looking to spend a little bit of money as opposed to a larger card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
I felt that in the biggest way with World of Tanks to be honest. They did a massive revamp on their game engine....and since then SLI does not work, so a game that back in the day I sustained 60-70 maxed FPS I get 30 max in the cities ( though more in the fields, less clutter).
Just a quick note, as of the newest patch (8.4) SLI support has apparently been brought back. I have no way to test for myself though.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old March 26, 2013, 12:16 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
I would love to order one for the HTPC, and fold on it, but I have one problem.

I guess my point is, the HTPC being a family machine, I can't justify putting a folding-worthy card in it and compromising the overall experience.
I can honestly say that folding w/ both of my GTX680s has no impact on overall system performance besides gaming. I leave them folding all day long except if I am gaming. System feels fluid no matter what. I'm even folding on the CPU at the same time. Since I've moved to the V7 client I don't think I have ever experienced the UI lag like w/ the older client.