Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51 (permalink)  
Old March 22, 2013, 11:02 AM
rjbarker's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Courtenay, B.C
Posts: 5,795

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
So you are going to ruin it by SLI'ing your Titans and introducing micro stutter back into your gameplay experience?
Here's the dilemma as I see it...@ 2560 x 1600 1 Titan isnt quite enough to Max out all DX11 titles, hence the 2nd Card.

The only "concern" I had making this decision (to go with 680 Classy's vs Titans), is I know SLi 680 Classy's will Max out everything (as my Fermi's are close), as I said, if a set of Cards will Max out everything at a given Res, unless your into Benching, dont see the point of going crazier as you wont see the difference (in regular gameplay).
To each there own though, as I used to buy 3 Cards (but Benched).

I love building rigs, so would rather take that $1200 saved and dive into an X79 Platform with SLi 680 Classy's.
Also I always sell my Cards here, usually there about 12 - 14 months old and I can recoop about 50% of my cost. We do know that by perhaps next year another "kicker" Card will be introduced so its time to sell and upgrade, hard to say what the re-coop value of these titans will be a year or so from now, lets face it, the initial cost is extremely pricey @ $1200 each (including Taxes).

to re-coop 50% would be $600, there could be a new GTX 7xx Series Card out there by then that runs at the same speeds and Retails for the same price ($600), ....anyhow, if I was running even one more Dell UHD monitor I would have dove in to two Titans, but single monitor seems completely unnecessary.
Reply With Quote
  #52 (permalink)  
Old March 22, 2013, 11:17 AM
Soultribunal's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 8,048

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Here's the dilemma as I see it...@ 2560 x 1600 1 Titan isnt quite enough to Max out all DX11 titles, hence the 2nd Card.

The only "concern" I had making this decision (to go with 680 Classy's vs Titans), is I know SLi 680 Classy's will Max out everything (as my Fermi's are close), as I said, if a set of Cards will Max out everything at a given Res, unless your into Benching, dont see the point of going crazier as you wont see the difference (in regular gameplay).
To each there own though, as I used to buy 3 Cards (but Benched).

I love building rigs, so would rather take that $1200 saved and dive into an X79 Platform with SLi 680 Classy's.
Also I always sell my Cards here, usually there about 12 - 14 months old and I can recoop about 50% of my cost. We do know that by perhaps next year another "kicker" Card will be introduced so its time to sell and upgrade, hard to say what the re-coop value of these titans will be a year or so from now, lets face it, the initial cost is extremely pricey @ $1200 each (including Taxes).

to re-coop 50% would be $600, there could be a new GTX 7xx Series Card out there by then that runs at the same speeds and Retails for the same price ($600), ....anyhow, if I was running even one more Dell UHD monitor I would have dove in to two Titans, but single monitor seems completely unnecessary.

I think quite possibly the best feeling to have, is when you hit that power button.
All the Lights go, the Post Code Reads 00 and Windows starts to install.
I'd never want anyone else to steal that thunder away from me.

-ST
__________________




"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Reply With Quote
  #53 (permalink)  
Old March 22, 2013, 05:50 PM
ipaine's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 2,035

My System Specs

Default

Man I really wish I has the money to get a titan as I know it would be better than my 580 SLI. But I just got the 2713HM and paid for camp for my kids. Kind of funny, could have afforded a single titan if I didn't get the monitor but didn't need the horsepower with the old monitor.
__________________
"Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong."


Reply With Quote
  #54 (permalink)  
Old March 22, 2013, 07:49 PM
rjbarker's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Courtenay, B.C
Posts: 5,795

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
I think quite possibly the best feeling to have, is when you hit that power button.
All the Lights go, the Post Code Reads 00 and Windows starts to install.
I'd never want anyone else to steal that thunder away from me.

-ST
Yea it's funny the last 3 times I've re-built my PC, and my wife's n daughters builds I've never "tested" everything on the open bench (Diningroom table) prior to 1st boot, just build it in the case, perfect cable management, close it up, plug everything in and hit the power button (breath held)......then strut around the house while Windows loads and my wife calls me a "geek" ;)
Reply With Quote
  #55 (permalink)  
Old March 23, 2013, 06:19 AM
Mark's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bolton, Ontario
Posts: 859
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Yea it's funny the last 3 times I've re-built my PC, and my wife's n daughters builds I've never "tested" everything on the open bench (Diningroom table) prior to 1st boot, just build it in the case, perfect cable management, close it up, plug everything in and hit the power button (breath held)......then strut around the house while Windows loads and my wife calls me a "geek" ;)
You have two similar items that i would consider my all time favorite items, the Toyota Tacoma ( I have the 2012 TRD 4 door ) and the Silverstone TJ 09 I believe. Had to sell the case since the custom arwork lost flavor and was too big for my new office space.



There is no logic to buying the Titan at it's price but I'm not a fan of SLI or Crossfire; but hoping the prices will drop to at least $800 .

I sold my old card and paintball marker equipment ( hated it..really did) so my rule is still valid in my home - whatever comes in, something goes out.
__________________



CHEERS
Reply With Quote
  #56 (permalink)  
Old March 23, 2013, 03:43 PM
Killswitch's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sault Ste Marie, Ontario
Posts: 839

My System Specs

Default

Here's a pic of the guts in Slik's rig.

Reply With Quote
  #57 (permalink)  
Old March 23, 2013, 07:03 PM
rjbarker's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Courtenay, B.C
Posts: 5,795

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
You have two similar items that i would consider my all time favorite items, the Toyota Tacoma ( I have the 2012 TRD 4 door ) and the Silverstone TJ 09 I believe. Had to sell the case since the custom arwork lost flavor and was too big for my new office space.



There is no logic to buying the Titan at it's price but I'm not a fan of SLI or Crossfire; but hoping the prices will drop to at least $800 .

I sold my old card and paintball marker equipment ( hated it..really did) so my rule is still valid in my home - whatever comes in, something goes out.
Yep love my Taco, great truck and I'm starting to get way too sentimental with TJ09 Case, think I've recycled that Case through 3 re-builds of Procyon and provided I can mod it to suit a Corsair 100i Cooler it will be recycled one more time with a new x79 build!!!

Killswitch, looks good, nice cable work, not a huge fan of the "red bling", but certainly nice neat n tidy rig!!!
Reply With Quote
  #58 (permalink)  
Old March 23, 2013, 08:55 PM
Killswitch's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sault Ste Marie, Ontario
Posts: 839

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Killswitch, looks good, nice cable work, not a huge fan of the "red bling", but certainly nice neat n tidy rig!!!
Thanks.
Slik wanted the LEDs to produce a nice glowing effect through the side vents of his Level 10 chassis. It's actually pretty effective and looks great. However if the Level 10 had a side window they would be too bright. I'd post a pic to show you but I don't have one.
Reply With Quote
  #59 (permalink)  
Old March 23, 2013, 10:24 PM
rjbarker's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Courtenay, B.C
Posts: 5,795

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
Thanks.
Slik wanted the LEDs to produce a nice glowing effect through the side vents of his Level 10 chassis. It's actually pretty effective and looks great. However if the Level 10 had a side window they would be too bright. I'd post a pic to show you but I don't have one.
Sure, to each there own....I had blue LED Blink in mine a few versions ago, but took em out. The one thing you should mention to the owner is to put in an order for a couple of backplates for the Titans, I've always been a fan of em for higher end cards (aesthetics). Although pricey due to shipping from US, 2 of em for my 680 Classy's are $120 (yes the International Shipping is insane).

What cooler did you put on there? I'm really hoping I can make a 100i fit in my TJ09!!! As once I swap the 980X for a 3930k thats what I want to go with, although I have looked at a 800D Case, but I'm not really thrilled at there Air Cooling qualities for the GPU's.

I've also entertained a Cosmos II, but $$$$$$$
Reply With Quote
  #60 (permalink)  
Old March 23, 2013, 10:45 PM
Killswitch's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sault Ste Marie, Ontario
Posts: 839

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
What cooler did you put on there? I'm really hoping I can make a 100i fit in my TJ09!!! As once I swap the 980X for a 3930k thats what I want to go with, although I have looked at a 800D Case, but I'm not really thrilled at there Air Cooling qualities for the GPU's.

I've also entertained a Cosmos II, but $$$$$$$
He's got an Antec Kuhler 920 set to it's quietest level via software. His 3770k @ 4.2 GHz doesn't go over 70*C and considering there's only a single 140mm fan for intake that's pretty good. We tried 4.4 GHz today and it got quite a bit warmer, also didn't see a major difference in benchmarks. I was going to try 4.6 GHz but he didn't want to.

But I can see his point. We probably wouldn't have gained too much more performance to be worth the added heat. We could have set the Antec to run faster fan speeds but he likes his rig silent.... and I can't believe how quiet it is!!! The fans on those Titans don't get too excited under load. We saw their temps top out at 80*C. Impressive.
It must be the compartmental design of the Thermaltake Level 10

Last edited by Killswitch; March 23, 2013 at 10:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Titan or 690? GT7R Video Cards 20 March 7, 2013 07:32 AM
Where is the Titan? Slik Video Cards 1 February 19, 2013 05:48 AM
[FS] Titan Fenrir X'mas ed - $30 xhrrcollector Buy/Sell & Trade 2 February 11, 2011 08:15 PM
[FS] Titan Fenrir Iphikratous Buy/Sell & Trade 5 December 15, 2010 09:02 PM