Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 20, 2013, 03:54 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Well the #2Titan has landed, and squeezed it into my FT03 and me likes it, visually appealing. I have owned 3 GTX 680s in tri sli , 2 7970s, 2 Gtx 680 Asus Top Cu's, 2 670s at different times in the past year.
Benchmarks can be rambled off as gospel,but really it's the end result...visual gameplay and smoothness.
Old March 21, 2013, 08:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
The Irony of watching Slik's upgrade path, is where he started from on here.

Shame on you killswitch for doing Z77 when X79 gives more PCI-e Lanes. For what HE is doing, its a much better decision.
You did NOT overkill it enough. I might change your name to Killmaybe.

-ST
^^^^ Thanks Soul, you nailed it Anyone going with a SLi Titan at $2.2K is going to want to go with a 3930k OC'd to 4.4 - 4.6Ghz on a nice skookum X79 Board Unleash the hounds!!!!

btw...NCIX succesfully changed my order from 2 x Evga GTX 680 FTW+ 4GB to 2 x Evga GTX 680 Classy's, I love those 80mm Fans on my 580 Classy's, damn cool running Cards and quiet.

Oh and Silk, up until about 5 yrs ago all I would do is change out GPU's, with the help of this Forum and my wallet, I've gone to all sorts of set ups, including Tri SLi.....but in all honesty, it all boils down to what you need to Max out your games at a given Resolution.....oh, its time to pop your cherry and build one (PC) yourself

Last edited by rjbarker; March 21, 2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old March 21, 2013, 08:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerbench View Post
Well the #2Titan has landed, and squeezed it into my FT03 and me likes it, visually appealing. I have owned 3 GTX 680s in tri sli , 2 7970s, 2 Gtx 680 Asus Top Cu's, 2 670s at different times in the past year.
Benchmarks can be rambled off as gospel,but really it's the end result...visual gameplay and smoothness.
Ouch!!!!! Crazier than I ever was

Old March 21, 2013, 08:48 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
^^^^ Thanks Soul, you nailed it Anyone going with a SLi Titan at $2.2K is going to want to go with a 3930k OC'd to 4.4 - 4.6Ghz on a nice skookum X79 Board Unleash the hounds!!!!

btw...NCIX succesfully changed my order from 2 x Evga GTX 680 FTW+ 4GB to 2 x Evga GTX 680 Classy's, I love those 80mm Fans on my 580 Classy's, damn cool running Cards and quiet.

Oh and Silk, up until about 5 yrs ago all I would do is change out GPU's, with the help of this Forum and my wallet, I've gone to all sorts of set ups, including Tri SLi.....but in all honesty, it all boils down to what you need to Max out your games at a given Resolution.....oh, its time to pop your cherry and build one (PC) yourself
Hard to say man. All Slik does with his rig is play games @ 2560x1600. For him, a 3930k isn't going to beat a 3770K when OC'd to the same speed and I can't see how a pair of Titans would be held back but hey.... it's not my money. Just my advice.

Last edited by Killswitch; March 21, 2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old March 22, 2013, 10:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post

I could "pop my cherry" and build my own right now,if I really wanted to. Problem with me is,building my own rig is work. While I consider myself an enthusiast,it's not to the point of building a rig,it's HAVING a rig that's always a bit ahead of the curve. Killswitch is a very talented guy,and with that talent,I know whatever he builds is going to work properly without issues right from the get go. Together,we select the hardware,I order it,he builds it,and when it's done,it's like a Christmas,or birthday present for me. Something to look forward to. I have no patience when it comes to putting a PC together. None at all. It's just the way I am. Lazy? Probably,but building computers etc. is a bit of a hobby for my friend Killswitch,resulting in enjoyment and satisfaction for both of us. As I said in an earlier post,I consider myself fortunate. Not smart,or rich or whatever,but fortunate in being able to buy pretty much whatever I want for a gaming rig,and fortunate in having a good friend like Killswitch to build it with me. Fun part for me,is ordering the hardware. Who wouldn't enjoy ordering two Titans?
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old March 22, 2013, 10:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
I could "pop my cherry" and build my own right now,if I really wanted to. Problem with me is,building my own rig is work. While I consider myself an enthusiast,it's not to the point of building a rig,it's HAVING a rig that's always a bit ahead of the curve. Killswitch is a very talented guy,and with that talent,I know whatever he builds is going to work properly without issues right from the get go. Together,we select the hardware,I order it,he builds it,and when it's done,it's like a Christmas,or birthday present for me. Something to look forward to. I have no patience when it comes to putting a PC together. None at all. It's just the way I am. Lazy? Probably,but building computers etc. is a bit of a hobby for my friend Killswitch,resulting in enjoyment and satisfaction for both of us. As I said in an earlier post,I consider myself fortunate. Not smart,or rich or whatever,but fortunate in being able to buy pretty much whatever I want for a gaming rig,and fortunate in having a good friend like Killswitch to build it with me. Fun part for me,is ordering the hardware. Who wouldn't enjoy ordering two Titans?
Hey, to each their own. I agree that building computers is one of the most addictive things I've ever done. I can't stop myself from ordering new parts for any one of the rigs in my house (be it cheap or expensive). Ordering parts, be they new or used, is fun.

However, unlike you, I love the process of taking the shiny part out of its box and wrapping, and spending some time moving it around in my hands, looking at the way the light falls on certain surfaces. The effort that goes into manufacturing most computer parts is astonishing, and most of the individual parts are beauties to behold in their own right.

Then, putting everything together, planning the cable routing, physically plugging things in, using a screwdriver to snug a screw into the PCI slot to secure a finely crafted video card to an equally finely crafted case is a joy that cannot be matched in a lot of other endeavours.

I would LOVE the opportunity to build an ultra high end system like yours, whether it be for myself or someone else.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old March 22, 2013, 10:30 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
I've built my own PC's for years and when you get into modding them (using a dremel to cut away at your case, painting etc.) it can be a lot of fun. But I've gotten old and lazy I guess and my modding days are behind me.

So I had NCIX build my new rig for me and while they do a good job with cable management I think I'll build myself next time as I discovered I miss the experience of knowing what is done with each component as I install them.

But I hate the 650D case I got with this rig so I intend to move everything into my old Level 10 GT case (which I love)... so I'll wind up doing it all anyways.
Old March 22, 2013, 10:47 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerbench View Post
So you are going to ruin it by SLI'ing your Titans and introducing micro stutter back into your gameplay experience?
Old March 22, 2013, 10:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
So you are going to ruin it by SLI'ing your Titans and introducing micro stutter back into your gameplay experience?
Micro stutter? Mine run every game I have,just as smooth as butter. I haven't tried Crysis 3 yet.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old March 22, 2013, 10:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yeah ordering the parts is the least of the excitement, unboxing, and building is where I get the enjoyment. Cable routing all that stuff :)

The most satisfying part for me is hitting that Power Button for the first time and hearing the "Beep" Post, and everything flashes up with no issues!! The OC'ing and running through the Benches to test..awesome!

Cant wait to get home in 4 weeks from work and swap out my 580 Classy's for my 680 Classy's. Then get a X79 Board, CPU, Memory and build build build.

btw Silk, building is not time consuming, I can put together my Rig from completely dissambled to assembled, with careful cable management in 3 hrs...for me the time consuming part is Software install and updates.