Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 20, 2013, 08:09 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
The Irony of watching Slik's upgrade path, is where he started from on here.

Shame on you killswitch for doing Z77 when X79 gives more PCI-e Lanes. For what HE is doing, its a much better decision.
You did NOT overkill it enough. I might change your name to Killmaybe.

-ST
You have a very good memory. I agree that everything is Killswitches fault. He shoulda built better.lol.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old March 20, 2013, 08:54 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
The Irony of watching Slik's upgrade path, is where he started from on here.

Shame on you killswitch for doing Z77 when X79 gives more PCI-e Lanes. For what HE is doing, its a much better decision.
You did NOT overkill it enough. I might change your name to Killmaybe.

-ST
Ok, if benchmarks show that the 3770k and Maximus V mobo is badly bottlenecking those Titans then I'll take the blame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
You have a very good memory. I agree that everything is Killswitches fault. He shoulda built better.lol.
You know what Slik....perhaps we should trade video cards? A pair of Titans for a pair of 7970's. That way I'll have the bottlenecking issue and you won't have any potential for that to happen.
Old March 20, 2013, 08:58 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Or give me one of them. Even with my 2500 i'm not against a little bottlenecking :D
Old March 20, 2013, 09:25 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Was fun watching our little Alienware child grow up and out of those shoes. Its a shame I couldn't strike a deal for the case though. I had some interesting mod ideas on your old one.

With the amount of throughput on the Titans, I think the only logical step is X79 with full lanes.
That would be an interesting step to take.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 20, 2013, 09:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Was fun watching our little Alienware child grow up and out of those shoes. Its a shame I couldn't strike a deal for the case though. I had some interesting mod ideas on your old one.

With the amount of throughput on the Titans, I think the only logical step is X79 with full lanes.

-ST
I'm sure Killswitch would agree. Will Haswell fit that mobo?
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old March 20, 2013, 10:18 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I'm sure Killswitch would agree. Will Haswell fit that mobo?
No, Haswell is improving on IB. So Bump in efficiency, lower TDP and I think they are moving the VRM on Die? Not sure on the last bit.

X79 is the better platform.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 20, 2013, 02:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Found this at Guru 3D http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/int...s_surface.html Sort of backs up what Soultribunal said. I don't need no stinkin Haswell...
Old March 20, 2013, 03:08 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:

-ST
Heh, it took a helluva lot of convincing to get him to go this route. I'm glad he did because dell mobo's are crap IMO, and he now sees the endless possibilities building your own rig.

As far as switching to X79 to gain dual PCIe 3.0 x16 vs dual x8 with Z77..... I'm not so sure any improvement would be seen. The 3770K can't be beat as far as gaming goes, and I've read SKYMTL's benchmarks comparing a GTX690 on PCIe 2.0 and 3.0. The difference was VERY small. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 Review

So in theory a Z77 mobo running dual Titans in PCIe 3.0 x8 slots (which is equal to PCIe 2.0 x16) shouldn't be held back since a card like the GTX 690 would probably want to suck more data through a slot.

Last edited by Killswitch; March 20, 2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old March 20, 2013, 03:10 PM
Allstar

Well getting close to my Titan. I have a general rule, what comes in something must go out so I sold my better paintball marker. Just a few tanks and new Hopper to go should gather me the funds and hopefully a sale price on one /

CHEERS
Old March 20, 2013, 03:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yes. I was convinced that building your own rig is the way to go However,there's one HUGE problem. I can't stop upgrading!! Really! Every time something new is available,I want it. I didn't know one damn thing about computers,til I met Killswitch,and became a member here. Before that,I would buy an expensive PC every two years,or even less,from Dell. Building your own truly is the way to go. It's a sickness. It's addictive. I love doing it. I mean,I love Killswitch doing it. All I do is get the parts. I learned a lot here. Thanks guys.