Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 14, 2013, 06:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
I would like a link to those "reviews". I seriously doubt it.
?what?

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old March 14, 2013, 06:31 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
What about teaming up with another review website, asking that if they send you theirs for a month to do SLI testing, you'll send them yours for a month, so they can do SLI testing.

Looks like the current matchup that people are interested in is 8350 vs 3570K. The video from TekSyndicate was very interesting, and Linus just put out a video testing the same thing. Linus's results weren't really in-line with Tek's, but nonetheless, the 8350 did okay. The fault with both those videos though, was lack of detail. It would be nice to see an article with both chips, using a cost relevant card (so, not a Titan, but something that an average user would buy with those chips...a 660Ti, for example) with multiple benchmarks at multiple settings, and lots of glorious numbers to pore over.
I think that is a very valid comparison. However, testing with a lower end GPU pretty much defeats the purpose of putting the onus on the CPU.
Old March 14, 2013, 06:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I think that is a very valid comparison. However, testing with a lower end GPU pretty much defeats the purpose of putting the onus on the CPU.
Yeah, I get what you mean. BUT, the idea was not "let's isolate the CPU and see what it can do" but more of "let's see what each CPU does in a system that people would actually buy".

So, even though one CPU or the other may run away the benchmark when it's isolated (with a Titan), it's not really representative of a system that most people would buy at that price point.

People who buy i5s will likely not be buying a Titan. People who buy Titans probably have 3930K's, or at the very least, a 3770K.

At the very best, folks who run an i5 or an 8350 may have a GTX680 (and that was a fluke, as it was used and a good deal!)

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old March 14, 2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
Yeah, I get what you mean. BUT, the idea was not "let's isolate the CPU and see what it can do" but more of "let's see what each CPU does in a system that people would actually buy".

So, even though one CPU or the other may run away the benchmark when it's isolated (with a Titan), it's not really representative of a system that most people would buy at that price point.

People who buy i5s will likely not be buying a Titan. People who buy Titans probably have 3930K's, or at the very least, a 3770K.

At the very best, folks who run an i5 or an 8350 may have a GTX680 (and that was a fluke, as it was used and a good deal!)
That;s a completely different type a article.
Old March 14, 2013, 07:21 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
I would like a link to those "reviews". I seriously doubt it.
I'm not sure if you're referring to the runt frames issue, but:

Frame Rating Part 3: First Results from the New GPU Performance Tools | PC Perspective
Old March 14, 2013, 07:29 AM

I can tell you that a user likely wouldn't pick up on the dropped frames due to the very low latency in some of those cases.
Old March 14, 2013, 08:01 AM
Rookie

The point is, if fps numbers don't accurately reflect the gaming experience there must be a reason.
Runt frames and latencies would seem to rationally explain why the fps number can be higher but the actual experience worse.
Old March 14, 2013, 08:31 AM

Yes and no. The main issue is the polling rate within the FRAPS utility when it comes to polling framerates. You see, if it logged framerates at the same speed it does frame TIMES, the results would be much more accurate. Remember, there is a distinct difference between Frames per SECOND and framerate / frame times.

Essentially, frame times can translate directly into framerates but frames per second simply averages out the framerates throughout a second to give a global result of a certain period of time.
Old March 14, 2013, 09:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Sky,
Well written article. I have a few questions however.
1) Do you think that you're severely underplaying the value equation here?
From my testing, SLI had very little, if any problems with single screen use. The Profiles are quite up to date etc, so i believe that the old issues are exactly that, old issues. Please note i said single screen. I don't have any experience with multi screen sli gaming.

2) Outside of time concerns, why didn't you include the 660ti in this review? I'm wondering if the results of this review would have been different if Titan was compared against a setup aprox 50-60% its cost. I understand that you cant review everything however, given the cost/performance value here, the content presented... this seems to be missing something. Was this at someones request?

I am a believer that had these two issues/questions been reviewed, we would see a completely different conclusion.

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter
Old March 14, 2013, 09:12 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Honestly i don't believe in 3D mark at all,the real games benchmarks show the truth,680 SLI is better than 7970 crossfire anyway,in almost any real games.

Depends on what the dev wants to do,crysis 3 for example,but the 680 SLI have more potential,with proper game coding.

Anyway these solutions destroy the titan! Good review,i would just have liked to see 680 lighting or normal 7970...Not really fair.

Last edited by bliz; March 14, 2013 at 09:17 AM.