Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 6, 2013, 11:31 AM
Allstar

So far mine peak out at about 75C and about 70% fan speed but I have a 104 cfm 200mm spectre pro blowing right on them lol
Old March 6, 2013, 11:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by donimo View Post
Hi all, it's been a long time since I have been active on here (for reference my last "enthusiast" build was a C2D 6750 based system). After that I had a couple kids and went fairly boring and gamed on consoles for the simplicity, but I got bored haha.

I built up a decent mid-range rig (I will post it up some time) based around a z77x-ud3/3570k setup and re-used my xfx 6850.

Last week I bought a used gigabyte 6850 to try out crossfire instead of shelling out for a 7950. It's been kind of a bummer though, found out the OC version of this card doesn't OC well (huh?) and also the rear fan on it is borked and runs all wobbly and slow. Then I had issues with the card in slot 2's fan would ramp way up at idle, which I figured out was due to ULPS (again, huh?). I can live with those issues but I can't figure out these other ones:

1) Sometimes crossfire just straight up doesn't work, in some things it works fine, but a lot of games and benchmark programs only run on one card? Unigine heaven 4.0 only runs on one card, same for kombustor (although the "1080 preset" test works fine, none of the others use both cards). I found info on profiles etc but everything seems to say that these programs should work fine, and plenty of others have used them just fine and dandy. BF3 also seems to only work off one card as well. I have downloaded the latest "profiles" from AMD.

2) Every time I quit a game and return to the desktop GPU2 will go 99% load until I reboot. Kind of stupid. The first time I even noticed it was when i came back into the normally cool room my PC is in and it was like a sauna because my 6850 had been going full blast for about 6 hours, sigh. I found references to this with older drivers (pre-11.2) but I am on 13.1.

Hopefully these aren't so noob that they are insulting. but so far upgrading hasn't been worth it at all, BF3 runs on one card only, benchmarks dont work and LA noire is frame locked to 30fps and thats all I am playing right now lol.
The only time xfire kicks in is during a fullscreen operation, not running fullscreen wont xfire. Same concept with the fan speeds, they wont kickin to the afterburner fan profile until a fullscreen operation is started. I can set mine @ what ever 100% auto but with out kicking into xfire the second card stays at its default bios fan settings.
As for running driver sweeper, use AMD CleanUninstall utility AMD Catalyst Un-install Utility Driver sweeper is old and buggy, yes I used it for many a year but the AMD version is much stabler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old March 6, 2013, 11:59 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
The only time xfire kicks in is during a fullscreen operation, not running fullscreen wont xfire. Same concept with the fan speeds, they wont kickin to the afterburner fan profile until a fullscreen operation is started. I can set mine @ what ever 100% auto but with out kicking into xfire the second card stays at its default bios fan settings.
As for running driver sweeper, use AMD CleanUninstall utility AMD Catalyst Un-install Utility Driver sweeper is old and buggy, yes I used it for many a year but the AMD version is much stabler.
ok THAT probably solves the unigine heaven/furmark issue as it is windowed for the tests that didn't crossfire. I did not know that.

As for the fan profile, if I disable ULPS in the registry then the afterburner profile is active on the desktop. Enable it and it isn't. What you say is essentially the same though. Just clarifying that the cause seems to be ULPS and not just fullscreen/windowed/desktop related.

Good to know about the ati tool. If they make such a good one why is it not built-in to their uninstall program the driver ships with?
Old March 6, 2013, 12:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

That's a very good question. Thanks Supergrover! I didn't know about this utility till now!
Old March 6, 2013, 12:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
ok THAT probably solves the unigine heaven/furmark issue as it is windowed for the tests that didn't crossfire. I did not know that.

As for the fan profile, if I disable ULPS in the registry then the afterburner profile is active on the desktop. Enable it and it isn't. What you say is essentially the same though. Just clarifying that the cause seems to be ULPS and not just fullscreen/windowed/desktop related.

Good to know about the ati tool. If they make such a good one why is it not built-in to their uninstall program the driver ships with?
Keep in mind I dont have any real issues with ULPS but you might try to :

Uninstall afterburner/whatever GFX temp monitoring/control programs, run the AMD uninstaller. reboot.
Install and drivers and CAP, reboot. Install Afterburner or Precision ( personally I like the look of the new PrecisionX) Set your fan curve, enable Autofan, linkcards. Now run a fullscreen app.
Your fan and clocks should now be synced and should run with the fan curve. ( they wont run the same RPM unless they are at exactly the same temp)
Shut off the fullscreen app, your maincards fan should keep running at the fan curve and the second should drop to default fan settings.

Since AMD just released their un-installer in Jan I am hopeful it will be integrated into their installer soon.

Quote:
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
Old March 6, 2013, 12:33 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Keep in mind I dont have any real issues with ULPS but you might try to :

Uninstall afterburner/whatever GFX temp monitoring/control programs, run the AMD uninstaller. reboot.
Install and drivers and CAP, reboot. Install Afterburner or Precision ( personally I like the look of the new PrecisionX) Set your fan curve, enable Autofan, linkcards. Now run a fullscreen app.
Your fan and clocks should now be synced and should run with the fan curve. ( they wont run the same RPM unless they are at exactly the same temp)
Shut off the fullscreen app, your maincards fan should keep running at the fan curve and the second should drop to default fan settings.

Since AMD just released their un-installer in Jan I am hopeful it will be integrated into their installer soon.
That is exactly how it behaves now with afterburner. My issue is that the 2nd cards stock fan curve sets the idle speed too high. I want it to use the afterburner fan profile in-game AND on the desktop (more on the desktop actually as I have no issues with overheating stock or otherwise)
Old March 6, 2013, 12:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
That is exactly how it behaves now with afterburner. My issue is that the 2nd cards stock fan curve sets the idle speed too high. I want it to use the afterburner fan profile in-game AND on the desktop (more on the desktop actually as I have no issues with overheating stock or otherwise)
No I realize it is running to high on default, the steps were to determin if it was something you have done while troubleshooting since that should put you at a pretty clean install. I know I had my 6970's stock profile get stuck at 60% when the GFX BIOS default is 10%. A clean install fixed it for me but you'll want to make sure all temp/fan programs are removed since if you have tried one and screwed with the settings and then moved to another fan/temp control program it can get dicey troubleshooting.
Another thing to look at is what is your fan set to in CCC?
As I said for me removing all gfx apps and drivers, running a driver sweeper and then reinstalling fixed my fan settings. Worth a shot IMO.

Quote:
Old March 6, 2013, 12:51 PM
Allstar

Quote:
No I realize it is running to high on default, the steps were to determin if it was something you have done while troubleshooting since that should put you at a pretty clean install. I know I had my 6970's stock profile get stuck at 60% when the GFX BIOS default is 10%. A clean install fixed it for me but you'll want to make sure all temp/fan programs are removed since if you have tried one and screwed with the settings and then moved to another fan/temp control program it can get dicey troubleshooting.
Another thing to look at is what is your fan set to in CCC?
As I said for me removing all gfx apps and drivers, running a driver sweeper and then reinstalling fixed my fan settings. Worth a shot IMO.
totally, will try again tonight.
Old March 6, 2013, 09:29 PM
Allstar

Welp, the fullscreen thing was the issue with crossfire not kicking in for benchmarks, which is kinda weird but sure ok.

Fan still at 47% at idle. didnt get a chance to do the bios mod tonight maybe tomorrow.

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzST UPIDFAN
Old March 9, 2013, 09:14 AM
Allstar

OK I am gonna try one last time to remove all programs and drivers because this bugs me way more than it should lol.

Stupid gpu2 has two seperate fan issues.

1) reverts to stock fan profile (47%) at the desktop instead of afterburner profile

2) "sticks" at higher fan speed (50-100%) and sometimes even GPU load after playing a game. If it's just the fan I can kick it out by starting something like kombustor and quitting. The gpu load issue sometimes requires a reboot to get rid of.

why haha