Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 25, 2013, 08:26 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Better than ubi from what I hear...though 'playing' covers a lot of ground...Im sure it falls under the heading "stress testing of key component hardware" or some such :P

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 25, 2013, 08:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Funny you should say that.. couple of places I used to work in "tested" the systems by playing games.. :P
Old February 25, 2013, 09:07 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Better than ubi from what I hear...though 'playing' covers a lot of ground...Im sure it falls under the heading "stress testing of key component hardware" or some such :P
Man, I wish I could test Motorola 2-way radios by playing Farcry 3.

Since I'm posting I'll post my 2 cents regarding the OP's topic.

Can't go wrong with either a GTX680 or HD7970. From what I've read and seen, both cards are basically even across the board for the most part until you get into really high res and settings (ie - multi-monitor). At that point the 7970 starts to walk away a bit. But not much. As for the CPUs, not sure. Both are potent. You probably wouldn't see any difference. Also, the difference between PCIe 2.0 and 3.0 is nil unless you get into using a slot running at x4 or something. If you're not going to run crossfire or sli you won't have to worry about that either.

Last edited by Killswitch; February 26, 2013 at 05:44 AM.
Old February 26, 2013, 05:50 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I would just grab a 7950 and overclock it, oh wait I did :) and have no complaints at all with it.
Old February 26, 2013, 06:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post

It's actually to test heat in our Drafting systems as dell likes to forget to plug the backup fans in sometimes and they get nice and toasty, but we all have our own gaming builds at work for the hour they give us for lunch. Most the time we all play ancient games against eachother like the original Unreal Tournament but Last week we busted out the Far Cry 3 and Battlefield 3.

Still amazed the 660 TF OC maxes those games out with zero issues at all and no stutter but OP should just wait for next Gen his card is a great card for now and that way he has the cash set aside to get the best of the best or at least the 760ti/770 when they come out :)
Old February 27, 2013, 08:25 AM
Allstar

Buy this before you miss the deal. Excellent card on sale with $120 of games

Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 OC 1100MHZ 2GB 4.8GHZ GDDR5 DVI HDMI 2XMINIDP PCI-E Video Card

CHEERS
Old February 27, 2013, 08:43 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Thanks but i would pay the double for shipping xD
Old February 27, 2013, 08:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Bliz, if you ever need something and it's cheaper here let me know..

I only get back to Ireland about 3 times a year (this sat being one) next will be end of summer, I usually fly through Paris so I could drop it in the post for you there..
you can EMT me the funds for it.
Old February 27, 2013, 09:07 AM
Banned

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliz View Post
Ok,thanks,but there is something i don't understand.i will play FC3 too,not in 3D,so why do i contradict myself? It's not the same thing.it's just that i want to use that mod for minecraft and i want to max out last games.Impossible with 570.

You also told me that 680 is a waste of money if i don't play 3d,then you say i need at least a 680 for far cry 3,maybe i don't get it???
Last I heard, Far Cry 3 is a 3D game. Hell, you are hard pressed to find a game that isnt. How do you not play it in 3D? I am not talking about using glasses. I am talking about game architecture. Never played Minecraft, so no idea how demanding it is. But from looking at the website, doesnt look like you need much power. How do you play Minecraft in 2D?
And yes, if not playing 3D games, only 2D, any GTX series card is a waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliz View Post
Actually,with farcry 3 on max,it's smooth but there is enormous stuttering every second,i think it's the background effects thing,anyway does not work with 570.
Contradicting again? How can game play be smooth, but yet there is "enormous stuttering" every second?
Old February 27, 2013, 09:49 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmanrigger View Post
Last I heard, Far Cry 3 is a 3D game. Hell, you are hard pressed to find a game that isnt. How do you not play it in 3D? I am not talking about using glasses. I am talking about game architecture. Never played Minecraft, so no idea how demanding it is. But from looking at the website, doesnt look like you need much power. How do you play Minecraft in 2D?
And yes, if not playing 3D games, only 2D, any GTX series card is a waste.

Contradicting again? How can game play be smooth, but yet there is "enormous stuttering" every second?
I'll go out on a limb here and guess..... ya he's talking about 3D glasses and he might mean that his gameplay is smooth "between" stutters.

Bliz, that sounds like a driver issue. Does it get better at all if settings are turned down?