Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 24, 2013, 09:10 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Can't Change Xfire in AMD VCC

Ok, when will I stop tweaking, ...

This 'problem' started out when I thought maybe there is a utility that will let me control the fan speeds on my graphic cards without just setting them to one speed which is the only option available in the Graphics Overdrive tab in AMD's Vision Control Centre (Catalyst for AMD cards).

A quick google found a discussion of the new ASUS Tweak Utility that is now good for Win8. My HD6670's boxes do have a decal which endorses this GPU Tweaker, and it is RoG so it's gotta be good right? Downloaded and installed this program. (When it comes up I think to myself; I've seen this before?).

Anyway ASUS's newest GPU Tweaker Utility tells me that although Crossfire is available it is not enabled. Curious, when I open AMD's VCC it shows a pretty graphic of my two GPU"s in Xfire. Hmmmm. Then I notice that the GPU Memory settings in Tweaker start at 2000, but my GPU's memory is half of that? Clicking "apply" causes my system to crash after flashing pretty squiggly lines all over my screen. Reboot-Recover (some time things are good).

Then I think maybe if I disable the Xfire and see what Tweaker says. BUT now when i try to disable Xfire in AMD's VCC the system crashes. I play with this for a while. Un-select graphics overdrive, return all GPU settings to default in VCC and in ASUS's AI Suite where the GPU was set to Turbo (not Extreme). But even at all default I cannot disable Xfire and Tweaker still wants to overclock my GPU memory by 200% at a minimum, (tried typing in 1000 where it shows 2000, won't accept it).

Didn't get anywhere near finding out if this Tweaker would have the option to control my fans. As installed it pops up when I open windows. Went to the settings to tell it not to do that, clicking "apply" I guess applies all settings, including that 2000 OC of my memory, so Crash again. Had to go to control panel and uninstall it.

Even with Tweaker now gone, AMD's VCC will not allow me to disable Crossfire. (Now I should say this is all on the Win8 side of my machine, have not experienced this problem in Win7 - well not lately).

SO - checked AMDs Catalyst website and noticed a new version 13.2 BETA - hummm, being a gluten for punnishement I decided to try the Beta, maybe it is more Win8 friendly? I did save my system backup so I can return to happier times if this upgrade does not help.

Anyone thoughts?

... anyone have another utility to recommend for better control of one's GPU fans?

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old February 24, 2013, 09:12 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

MSI afterburner.
Old February 24, 2013, 11:30 AM
MVP

My System Specs

When will I ever learn "IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON"T FIX IT" - installing the Catalyst BETA failed, and then Windows 8 would not recover, tried everything, in the end it is another REINSTALL - almost all of my programs have been lost. Beginning the rebuild now. Oh Bother! I'm thinking I should have uninstalled Catalyst 13.1 before installing Beta 13.2. Yeesh.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old February 24, 2013, 11:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I think you should stick to win 7.. So many problems I'm hearing with win8.

Unless you have to use it for some work related reason then stay away from Windows new os for at least the first year from the official launch.
Old February 24, 2013, 11:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Asus GPU Tweak...... Oh how I hate you, last time I installed it it completely destabilized my cards. Even after uninstalling, once I finally rooted out all the Reg entries and any remnants left behind my cards are again rock solid. Never going to touch it again Bad Grover, TBH I have tried it as it has matured but never with so fatal a issue.
Afterburner is very good but I am using Precision right now.

When uninstalling AMD drivers try out AMD's new Driver clean up Uninstaller AMD Catalyst Un-install Utility

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton