Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 21, 2013, 12:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinraCorp View Post
Usually I would radically bash NVIDIA or find some sort of weakness to it, but to be honest I think what they did was smart, the card itself is a pricing whore, but really what I'm seeing from the TITAN is the foundation for future graphics processing. Eliminating the needs of drastic power consumption and yet have the performance of well... a titan. The days that we need 1200W power supplies to run the highest end consumer graphics card on SLI or CrossFireX are probably over thanks to the TITAN and as shown this card can fit into a mini-ITX motherboard so now the desktop is getting smaller, faster and more power friendly, of course the only question now is if the software will follow suite, because it doesn't matter how powerful your hardware is, if the software cannot utilize it, then there is no point.

So I guess I have to thank NVIDIA for that, I'll probably resume bashing though after this writing :P
I disagree on one aspect. Its not just the GPU in terms of power consumption. The changes across the entire board with die shrinks and the likes that make the 1200W PSU extinct.
My i7 3770K idles at 80W with a system crammed full of stuff.
The old setup Idles at 200W.
That makes a huge difference.

Regardless this thing is a beast there is no denying that.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 21, 2013, 12:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Just a point, go back to the 690 thread.. check out the comments on the price there too.

Wonder if more time will make people adjust.. or if like me it's still just too much compared to the 680, 670 and especially 7970.. Which at least in that suite of games was much closer than I had expected.
Old February 21, 2013, 12:52 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Just a point, go back to the 690 thread.. check out the comments on the price there too.

Wonder if more time will make people adjust.. or if like me it's still just too much compared to the 680, 670 and especially 7970.. Which at least in that suite of games was much closer than I had expected.
Good point. I suppose the same argument has existed with the Intel "Extreme" CPU's and with every new GPU generation.

All the talk about price/performance... but what kind of value is there when compared to an Ares II ?
Old February 21, 2013, 12:53 PM
Top Prospect

If it will allow me to have a high enough FPS (120 consistently) at high - ultra detail in all games at 1080P, I'll start saving my pennies. Oh wait, nickels and higher!

LightBoost HOWTO | The Blur Busters Blog
Old February 21, 2013, 01:20 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post

Right,but here we are talking price for performance,and for that,the 690 is way better,and it is last year's card,renember that.
Old February 21, 2013, 01:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I find it funny how people who are price/performance conscious make such a big deal about premium product's price like this. This product is not targeted towards people who go "bang for your buck" $200-300 price range GPU(s). Although the price is ridiculous, this card as a single GPU card is also ridiculous (in a good way). Sure, I won't considering buying one for more than $850, but I'm not gonna spend all day saying they will only sell 10 units or that this is a fail.
Old February 21, 2013, 02:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

More raw power Bliz, not way better, as can be seen in the stability of the frames. Also as said in the article, no sli profiles to worry about.

I think so far we can all agree that the Titan is over-priced.. BUT I can't say that if I was in Nvidia's position that I wouldn't do the same and that is without knowing what their bottom line is.

I think AMD must be now worried about the next gen of cards if Nvidia have basically been "sitting" on this for the last 8+ months.

I'd also like to see a slightly cut back version of this.. maybe 1 core less akin to the 680-670 and with 3GB ram to reduce the costs further.
But if this price holds then I'd guess that card would be where we want this to be and it still wouldn't be "worth" it vs SLI.

Last edited by Dzzope; February 21, 2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old February 21, 2013, 05:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The difference with the 690 was that it was worth the price because it is twice as fast as a 680. The Titan is not twice as fast therefore it should not be as expensive as the 690.

If it was priced at $800 I would consider getting 2 and selling my 690.

The only thing that I can see that will save the Titan is how high you can overclock it under water cooling. If a Titan can overclock to stock 690 speeds then it would be very impressive.

One thing that is really bugging me is all the people on other websites saying they would get a Titan over a 690 because they think there is micro stutter or SLI issues yet have never owned a 690 let alone SLI any cards. So far I have not experienced micro stutter even back in my 260 Tri-SLI rig. Also almost every game has SLI support on launch and even if they do not I usually don't care as most games are buggy on launch and will probably wait for a patch or two to play. Not to mention I don't have as much free time to play all the latest games.

Anyways this Titan while impressive is just $200 over priced. Hopefully AMD will force Nvidia to lower their prices.

I really like my new Corsair K90 keyboard as it is much nicer to type on and play games. Took a bit to get used to a mechanical keyboard but it is worth it. Once you go mechanical you never go back!

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old February 21, 2013, 05:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm sure there are plenty of people that still say the 690 is over-priced.. The thing that people are missing here is not just the outright performance but that it's coming from a single chip.
I still agree it's overpriced, I'm in the same boat. But you never get a linear performance to price increase. Look at the 670 to 680, is there $100 difference in that performance? It only gets worse as you go higher.

I remember nearly the exact same points being raised on the 690, too expensive, shouldn't be = cost to 2x680's.. only worth it if flooding it etc etc etc
690 hasn't gone away and I wouldn't call it a flop either.

Realistically, with performance and prices of the other cards the price should have been 850 - 899.. Man I wish it would be 800 but thats 2x670's on a single GPU and thats not a realistic price when talking about something this high-end.

AMD have nothing planned but fleshing-out their mid - low tiers of cards (according to the last few news posts) nothing high end till the end of the year/beginning of next.. Tho maybe this will light a fire under them
Then again maybe they knew about how good this was and they have had to go back to the drawing-board so as not to be trashed in the next gen of cards.
Old February 21, 2013, 05:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

2 slot card 10.5 inches

Candy !