Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   AMD Clarifies 2013 Graphics Strategy: New Cards, Same Architecture, Some Surprises (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/59706-amd-clarifies-2013-graphics-strategy-new-cards-same-architecture-some-surprises.html)

SKYMTL February 15, 2013 07:41 AM

AMD Clarifies 2013 Graphics Strategy: New Cards, Same Architecture, Some Surprises

AMD has confirmed that new cards will be released this year and HD 7000-series parts as their plans for 2013 were clarified.

There has been a lot of talk lately about AMD’s official GPU strategy for 2013 and how it flew in the fact of numerous rumors. Instead of releasing a desktop graphics architecture that improves upon the HD 7000-series’ performance and feature set, it looked increasingly like that wouldn’t happen in the first three quarters of this year. We now have some additional details from AMD’s top brass about what this year will look like from their perspective.

Read more here: AMD Clarifies 2013 Graphics Strategy: New Cards, Same Architecture, Some Surprises | Hardware Canucks

sswilson February 15, 2013 08:40 AM

Not much in there for enthusasts, but OTOH I applaude them for resisting the urge to make a few efficiency tweaks and then rebranding the current line.

IRQ Conflict February 15, 2013 08:41 AM

Well, I think this is great news! Lets hope this leads where I think it will lead.

great_big_abyss February 15, 2013 08:56 AM

True enough. The jump from the 5000series to the 6000series was negligable. Aside from a name change (i.e. 5870 = 6970) the increase in performance wasn't that great. The biggest change was when AMD shrank the process and changed the architecture with the 7000series. I'd say it's pretty safe to assume that the gains from an 8000series card wouldn't be a huge improvement over the current lineup anyways.

ShinraCorp February 15, 2013 12:02 PM

Well if they're not releasing the 8000 series for desktop this year, it can mean that they'll take the time to do major improvements over the 7000 series, compare to just a tiny little bump higher in performance.

bliz February 15, 2013 02:10 PM

Not good for AMD, the new 700 series of nvidia with new architecture should crush them,at least i hope the AMD cards will be really cheap.

ShinraCorp February 15, 2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bliz (Post 690813)
Not good for AMD, the new 700 series of nvidia with new architecture should crush them,at least i hope the AMD cards will be really cheap.

Do not underestimate the Never Settle AMD bundle, free games with a video card? That's a 120$ extra value right there. I mean ya sure if AMD doesn't have them, people would probably buy NVIDIA cards.

geokilla February 15, 2013 02:46 PM

So how does AMD plan to improve its mobile offerings? I think first they need to improve Enduro...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinraCorp (Post 690818)
Do not underestimate the Never Settle AMD bundle, free games with a video card? That's a 120$ extra value right there. I mean ya sure if AMD doesn't have them, people would probably buy NVIDIA cards.

NVIDIA has a similar bundle.

bliz February 15, 2013 02:48 PM

Yeah ,really funny,AMD wants so much to sell their cards so they offer 100$ of video games with the card lol...

ShinraCorp February 15, 2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geokilla (Post 690822)
So how does AMD plan to improve its mobile offerings? I think first they need to improve Enduro...

NVIDIA has a similar bundle.

Not really, they offer in-game credits to free to play games, not really the same as a brand new game.